Sig 1911 vs colt/kimber

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by touchmyg1ock, Jan 29, 2012.

1. touchmyg1ock

touchmyg1ock New Member

There is a sig 1911 at the local shop that caught my eye, I'm considering buying as it is a very beautiful weapon. The thing is, I haven't heard much about the Sig 1911s (didnt even know they made one until recently)....my question is, how do they stack up against the Colts and Kimbers that, from what I hear, seem to be the best?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

colt then a few steps back springfield armory then sig some where under hipoint way down is kimber.

thats how i rank em.

3. touchmyg1ock

touchmyg1ock New Member

High point over sig and kimber? Wow ...I'm looking for how Sig 1911s compare to the top 1911 manufacturers, not a favorites list. Any helpful suggestions?

4. CSI713

CSI713 New Member

Sig makes an excellent 1911. The top reputable makers are Colt, Kimber, Wilson Auto-Ordinance and this list continues with many more of both customized specialties down to to lower end manufacturers. Sig is a reputable gun manufacturer and produce very reliable firearms.

5. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I disagree. My Kimbers perform every bit as well as my Colts and Springers. My only issue with Kimber is their use of MIM parts, just a personal preference but I don't like them. Although the Kimber MIM parts have never failed on me once either.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  6. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

I've had a couple come through the shop for sights and minor tweaks. They seem to be well made and tight. I haven't shot one though. My carry is a full size government (colt) or Kimber 3 inch ultra carry and in 5 years, I've never had any type of "serious" problem. I do hate the ultra carry takedown process - you need a paper clip or equivalent but it more than makes up for it in accuracy and control which is a huge factor on a 3 incher 45. I would assume that the 1911 pattern would hold up as well as my little guy and it's dimensionally correct if you want to build up on it. Just not sure if you would do better with another weapon that's been around for a while.

7. touchmyg1ock

touchmyg1ock New Member

What are mim parts an does sig use them? I am basically looking for reliability and accuracy. I would also prefer everything to be mil-spec. I don't like junk or cheap stuff

8. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Colt. Series 70 NIB - check with your local dealer.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I don't like MIM parts, due to the corrosion factor. It may be something I assumed, but i carry in wet, sometimes salty conditions. Metal Injection Moulded parts are all over the place and have proven to be durable and reliable...It's just me, I guess!!

I have heard folks having issues with Kimbers rusting, but I feel that is a lack of proper maintenance. I am so used to my stainless Colt, I would probably not oil an iron (steel) frame pistol enough either!

I'll add that I like Colt, Springfield, Sig and Kimber 1911's equally, but I'm a 1911 junkie!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  10. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

About the same here. I am a 1911 guy and my favorite manufacturers are Colt, Kimber, Springfield, then SIG and S&W. I put SIG and S&W after the others only because of their use of an external extractor. There is noting wrong with an external extractor, its just that I prefer the traditional internal one. Heck, I even own a S&W 1911 E-series.

11. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I own a Sig Stx and it has performed flawlessly. As far as MIM goes, the only parts are the slide stop and firing pin. That's it. And Jon can be a little biased, but that's OK. But to rank a hi point higher than a Sig?!!! Not cool. Kimber IMO used to make amazing 1911‘s. There qc has gone down but they produce a lot of 1911's a year in their defense. I just don't see paying that much for a 1911 with plastic in it. Doesn't make sense.

12. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

You really have a point. Go back around 18-24 months and almost all things Kimber were on indefinite backorder or you had to pay through the nose. Much easier to get one these days. Maybe the answer is they ramped up production to meet demand and the quality went down as the production went up. My 5-6 yr old ultra carry 2 was flawless out of the box and is still tight as you'd want it and I shoot it at least once a week. I have access to NIB Kimbers - now I'm curious so I'll pull one and give it a real close look.

13. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Just do it! Hell all the things that may or may not be wrong with a Sig are minor. I have recently bought a Sig 1911 platinum elite "discontinued model" from them I haven't shot it yet but I just love looking at it. I own a Kimber ultra covert II but I dont think its fair to compact the two. The Kimber is my personal defense weapon and the Sig is something that will be my range toy. Here are a few pics.

ForumRunner_20120129_180607.jpg

ForumRunner_20120129_180633.jpg

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I don't think Jon was ranking the Sig below Hi-Pointys and with the Kimbers.

There's little-to-nothing negative posted bad about the Sig's. (except that extractor thingie)

If you went by manufacture's sales photos of their 1911 pistols you would never know that there were external extractors in use. (except S&W and they are stupid when it comes to the 1911) It's not that the manufactures that use them are ashamed with the external extractor, it's just that it ruins the clean lines of the pistol.

If you want a wheel gun, get a S&W (or a Python) and if you want an auto-loader, get a Colt.

15. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Cane those were some nice words about Sig 1911's. Did it hurt? I know you're not a fan of the looks of em

16. scottybaccus

scottybaccus New Member

I hate to say it, but I might put Kimber even with or just above Colt, particularly in the last couple of years. I have been impressed with what I've seen of the Sig, but that isn't more than a quick petting at the gun counter. A pal of mine kust picked up a Rock Island that is surprisingly good for the price point.

It's the Remington and Ruger that I really want to get a closer look at.

Wilson and the custom shop guns are well above all OE pistols, but the price tags make them pure unobtainium in my book. Checkbook, that is...

17. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

So......kimber above colt? That's a pretty bold statement. Whens the last time you heard of a problem with a Colt 1911? I haven't ever really heard of any to be honest. There's always someone complaining about their Kimber. Colts quality control on their 1911's are bar none-not many can compare (besides Wilson and ed brown) I am a Sig 1911 lover/owner. For their price point, its hard to beat them as far as features go.

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I wouldnt even utter the words Colt and kimber in the same breath

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Not even to say that Colt is better?

20. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Well,yes to say that....didnt think that part into my equation :-(