Sierra

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by MaGoo Idaho, Feb 8, 2019.

1. MaGoo Idaho

MaGoo Idaho Member Supporter

Just found that Sierra was sold to the holding company that owes Dick's Sporting Goods. Don't think I will support them any more. They have not updated reloading manual since 2003.

Biohazard2 likes this.
  2. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Barnes makes a Match Kings copy in 6.5X55. Cheaper too. Even more reason to avoid them.

Dallas53 likes this.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Sierra has all kinds of updated load data,and it's free if you inquire about it. You can print it out on your printer,and then put it in the load data book.
    I've been shooting Sierra bullets for over three decades in around 17 different cartridges,as long as they continue to produce the same high quality bullet's,I could care less about who owns them.

Pasquanel, Dallas53 and Shopfox like this.
  4. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Sierra has been my bullet for over 50 years.

BVAL likes this.
  5. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I needed some 6.8SPC info that's not in the current manual. They were forthcoming and shared the data, at no cost. I've also had excellent results with multiple products of theirs. To date: no lemons. I have no plans to stop using them. It's like cutting off my nose, to spite my face.

If Sierra's sales drop, it won't be the CEO's getting fired. The people getting hurt will be the ordinary employees with the knowledge, making the great product at a reasonable price (not the $0.70 per unloaded bullet nonsense).

Dallas53 likes this.
  6. Shopfox

Screenshot_20190208-232316_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190208-232802_Chrome.jpg View attachment 196236
    Sierra is owned by Clarus. I don't see Clarus as a top-10 holder of Dick's Sporting Goods (DSG). Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the connection between DSG and Clarus/Sierra.

alsaqr and Dallas53 like this.
  7. Shopfox

From this article: "Clarus Corporation is a publicly traded company (Nasdaq: CLAR) and are the same owners of Safariland and a few other sporting companies"

Nowhere in the article, or on Clarus's website is Dicks Sporting Goods mentioned.

If there's a connection, I'm still not seeing it.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. Shopfox

Dallas53 likes this.
  9. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to agree. you are stating the same thing as Shopfox. So where is the connection between Sierra, and Dick's?

The only link I see is that of the shareholders, they do have a few in common, but very small percentages. And these are nothing more than investment brokers, buying shares in various companies, to diversify their customers stock portfolio's. None of them have enough stock shares to control or effect the company itself.

Shopfox and RKB like this.
  10. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

I have a bit of capital invested in a range of mutual funds/stocks. I'm sure some hold stock in BassPro, Dick's, etc - but I'm not changing my investments unless a LARGE share of an anti-gun entity is in question.

Dallas53 likes this.
  11. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

The thing is it's called corporate tiddly winks. A matter of mergers, buyouts, and transitions. In the big picture, if you are reloading, and you use Sierra bullets, and are pleased with them, why change? Seriously, even if one of the larger corporate giants that owned Dicks' and now also owns Sierra, what difference does it really make? IMO, nothing.

And yes, I do use some Sierra bullets in reloading, and also have one of their reloading manuals. And it may be true that they haven't brought out a new revised edition, there is still plenty that can be obtained online.

After all this is the 21st century.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  12. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

*couldn't care less.

20190203_072407.jpg

Dallas53 likes this.
  13. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

Same here but for over 40 years.

Dallas53 likes this.