SIERRA 165gr SPITZER GAME KINGS 300yds

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Wouva1, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

These are my latest reloads from my Howa .308 at 300yards using 165 gr sierra spitzer boat tails game kings out to 300 yards using ADI powder AR-2208...I developed loads starting from 44gr and worked in increments of .5 at a time with max being compressed at 47C,my best load worked out to be 45.5g,all cases were trimmed to a uniformed length of 2.005,and coal was measured at 2915 with 0.010 off the lands,.here are the results for my effort....cheers

image-3591332492.jpg

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

pretty damn good shooting!:D

what rifle were you using?

3. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

I was using a a howa 308 stainless barrell....cheers:D

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

very good shooting! very impressive loads you worked up. :D

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Have you ever tried deburring the flash holes. I have found this to be the single easiest way to get accuracy. Simple and quick. Helps insure uniform and consistant powder burn.

6. kaido

kaido New Member

Man, this is why I want a good chance to actually do this stuff. Any time I road a few rounds, I get impatient waiting for some one/thing to go in favour of a range trip. Then I get so annoyed that I just start shooting at targets, mainly gophers, and don't really work on finding that perfect combination.....would probably help if I also had a proper fixture to hold my targets up too. But you know, details.

7. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

All of my flash holes are deburred using the Lyman deburring tool....cheers :)

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Wouva1,Very nice shooting.

And I agree with Robo,deburring the flash holes is the first thing I do to any brass to improve accuracy. I also use the Lyman tool.

9. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Very nice groups indeed. I use these 165gn GameKings in my 30/06AI on pigs, goats, feral donkeys, feral horses and feral cats and they perform very well with nearly all shots being bang flops.
    I generally get 1.6" groups using 61.5gns of AR2209(Aussie powder) out of my M98 actioned rifle.

10. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

Did you say feral donkeys....WOW...yeah the sierra bullets have a great ballistic coefficient and my rifle doesn't seem to foul at all with copper fouling....must have been the proper break in procedure...who knows :D

11. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Great bullet with excellent accuracy and good terminal performance. I load both the 165SBT and 168SMK (long range target) with IMR-4895 for my Milspec 5R .308 and have the same point of impact. I am perfectly satisfied with them and load experimentation has come to an end. I guess the only reason I would use another hunting bullet would be much bigger game than deer.

12. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

We do have a big oversupply of feral animals in Australia that have been introduced over the last 200 hundred + years so anything from a .22 up to a.458 is used on the different critters.

I've used my 30/06AI and 165gn GameKings for years on pigs,goats,deer and 2 years ago on a cull hunt in our Northern Territory my son also used a .270 CMC Mountaineer with 130gn GameKings to get his 1st 2 pigs whilst I shot my 1st feral donkey's and feral horses plus wild dogs and all were bang flops with the 165gn GameKing.

I generally clean the barrels out with Sweet's to get rid of the copper fouling and have recently started using Brakeclean(used by mechanics to wash down brake pads/shoes) to get rid of carbon fouling in the barrel to great effect and it dries out. I generally spray this into the barrel and give it a couple of seconds before running a couple of patches down the bore.

13. Wouva1

Wouva1 New Member

I live in Australia and in places like COBAR,Nyngan,Willcania,Bourke and lightning ridge and have never encounted feral donkeys....if you want to get rid of copper fouling as well as carbon in your rifle I have found no other product on the market and I've used them all other than BORETECH ELIMINIATOR...this product is the best I've ever used and is AMMONIA free,try it and you'll no what I mean.....cheers

14. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Didn't realise you're an Aussie.I've also shot around Bourke(fished as well), Nyngan and Goodooga as well as well as the NT.
    I have used BoreTech Eliminator while restoring my Mk3 No.1 SMLE .303 in the barrel as it looked like it needed a scrub out and the junk that came out of the barrel was very interesting.