sidearm for birds/rabbits while deer/elk hunting

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by brandonb623, Oct 27, 2010.

1. brandonb623

brandonb623 New Member

hello so i'm lookin for a better sidearm while deer/elk hunting. prey would be grouse and rabbits, accuracy and weight is my issue .22 revolver gift from dad when i was younger. Time to upgrade, i've thought about gettin a cal. that can take a birdshot but i don't kno much about them, accurate at how far and would it damage rifling. Or do i just get a accurate gun and plink em in the head. any thoughts or opinions appreciated

nobody hunt big game and carry a pistol with them for small game?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

hell, I'm lucky to hit birds and small game with a shotgun, let alone a handgun. :eek:

3. brandonb623

brandonb623 New Member

takes a dozen shots with my current pistol to finally nail one in the head or neck and not too many hang around that long

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Why would you want to shoot small game while big game hunting. Seems a little redundant.

Bang..............there goes every deer in earshot.

5. brandonb623

brandonb623 New Member

i assumed sumone would say that sooner or later i've shot at many birds and run into deer and elk within 100 yards. maybe i should have asked what would be a good pistol for shootin small game? lol

6. freefall

freefall New Member

I have a Taurus .22 revolver that is very accurate and handy to carry. I have a Ruger MkI target model with 5 1/2" bull barrel that is VERY accurate but weighs nearly as much as my Super Blackhawk. I mostly carry the Taurus in situations you describe. I also carry a folding wrist rocket to use for spruce chickens. The main reason I like to carry the .22 is in case someone gets disoriented and you need to fire some signal shots to bring them in. One time I had to use 5 or 6 rounds of my premium .338 rounds at about $2.25 per. After that I started toting the .22.

7. brandonb623

brandonb623 New Member

i'm startin to lean towards just a better .22, cant seem to find much info on birdshot sounds more like you would use it for defense than shootin birds

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

First, is it legal to carry more than one firearm when hunting in your area?

Second, is it legal to hunt small game during big game season?

Third, why in the hell would you want to use a pistol to hunt small game?

Fourth, are you serious that you will take several shots at any game to kill it?

Fifth, you ever hear of one shot one kill?

Sixth, as a hunter, I think your man card should be pulled for even hunting anything and not using the proper arm to humanly kill even the smallest game.

Seventh through tenth, WTF??

9. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

very good:)

skullcrusher:) Sir; fantastic; lololol All wonderful points;
    although; I do carry a Ruger Single Six .22; for those close-up moments;)

10. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter New Member

A suppressed Ruger 22/45 with a chopped barrel. Quiet as a church mouse.

11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Browning Buckmark

I ordered a rail and scope for mine. I'm going to take it squirrel hunting after all the deer hunters leave the woods. :)

12. utf59

utf59 New Member

Of the .22s I own, my favorite is my Ruger 22/45. Someone at the range was asking me about it last season...he was looking for a gun for the same purpose you mentioned.

Ruger has a number of configurations. Browning Buckmarks are also very accurate.

What kind of range will you need it for?

I have used .22 shotshells in a revolver and in a bolt action rifle. They don't damage the rifling because the plastic that encases the pellets stays on until it comes out of the gun. The pellets are VERY small, though. And they spread fast because of the centrifugal force worked up by the rifling in the barrel. They work pretty well on snakes, but I've never tried them on game.

13. tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle New Member

I have carried a Ruger Bearcat for just such purposes. It is a super little pistol, carries like it wasn't there and perfectly accurate out to 25 yd.s for foolhens, grouse and bunnies. [​IMG]

14. brandonb623

brandonb623 New Member

Obviously you are not a real hunter, your from ohio hunting whitetails from tree stands on hunting ranches. I bet you would feel stupid shootin grouse or rabbits from a tree stand but real hunters walk their happy *** around and shoot what they see, we do week long hunts when hunting deer/elk and its nice to come back with birds to eat while we're camping, if you dont know what camping is its when you go stay in the woods the whole time no city time sleepin in ur bed between tree stand visits.
    To answer your "points"
    FIRST, no your not supposed to carry 2 weapons at a time but a pistol is an exception since fish and game have never even brought it up while i'm standing there talkin to them with a rifle on my back and a pistol on my side.

Second, of course you can hunt big and small game at the same time since the seasons over-lap.

Third, i would shoot small game with a pistol because i'm not gunna haul a rifle and shotgun around with me at the same time.

Fourth, several shots to make a head/neck shot with my current pistol which was the point of my post if you could comprehend.

Fifth, every Big game animal i've ever killed has been one shot one kill, heart on the last one liver before that and lungs on the rest.

Sixth, it is legal to kill grouse with a sling-shot so a .22 pistol is overkill compared to that, do you shoot a .50 cal. at small game so that you can keep your "man card"?

Seventh through Tenth, yes you a gun fanatic and not a hunter. Go back to the hunting ranch city boy.

15. brandonb623

brandonb623 New Member

nice lookin pistol tiger, its alot like the one i have but sounds like the bearcat would be more accurate, how much does that run? I was thinkin a semi-auto like a ruger mk II or III heard alot of good remarks about their accuracy and durability. But I could go for another revolver if I could find a fair priced nice one.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Brandon, I have an old H&R 929 .22 revolver. It is very light, and amazingly accurate with CCI Velocitors. They are also very affordable on the used market.

And I hunt like you do. In the woods for a week or more at a time. Spot and stalk. Though I do use an ATV to get from camp to hunting grounds because they are 25 miles from camp.

I always bring along a .22 rifle (Marlin 39A), and use it to collect rabbits and such for some variety.

17. brandonb623

brandonb623 New Member

thanks for all the replies and opinions, decided i'm going to check out the ruger 22/45's as they look to be more in my price range and they sound to be good quality.

18. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

While I carry a pre war Colt Woodsman most every trip to the woods, I would never shoot it while hunting elk. Scare an elk and he will take every elk on the the mountain and move them two counties away. Why anyone would shoot a rabbit while big game hunting is beyond me.

19. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

When I am elk hunting I pack a .45 Ruger Blackhawk on my belt, but it is only a backup for the 7 mm mag, to finish off a kill, or ward off an angry cougar, bear, badger, etc.. Have not had to use it yet.
    For the smaller game I pack a Sony Cybershot ,but hope to upgrade to a Canon Rebel soon.

20. tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle New Member

You will probably like the ruger 22/45. I have a Ruger standard that I have carried at times in the field. A little heavier, but it should be plenty accurate. Some states have different rules on big and small game simultaneously. You can hunt either in GA, but I do wear dayglo when I am squirrel hunting during deer season. Some of the state WMAs are closed to small game during deer quota hunts, etc. Forest Service land -not in the WMAs - are open to both.
    TB