Side charging bolt

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Duster, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Duster

Duster New Member

Hello, I'm new here and apologize for not starting intro thread. I made a hasty decision and put down a good % of money for a side charging 6.5 grendel. My concerns are- if your in the field /bush a lot and like to hunt, would the side charger be susceptible to failure because of dirt accumulations ? It does not have a dust cover!!! Anyone have a solid opinion on the matter. I'm going to have to cancel the order and lose some money because I get the feeling it would fail way to quickly when in the woods.
    Should I be worried? I'm new to the platform and have gotten different info. The maker says it will be fine- " lots of battle rifles have side charging handle without a cover " but this one seems to have some spaces where the bolt is. Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Some AR's don't even HAVE a dust cover. Where do you hunt? A desert? In mud puddles? How's enough stuff going to get in there and make it fail? Cool upper, BTW. Never seen one like it.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Other than AR's most semi auto rifles and shotguns have the side charging handle. Even the AK has a side charging handle.

4. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

You'll be fine in the woods with that upper. Unless you plan on torture testing it, normal woods use shouldn't cause malfunctions. Do you have a link to that upper? I've never seen one like that and I kind of like the way it looks.

5. Duster

Duster New Member

JTJ-or anyone but take a look at what seems to be spaces on the upper sides of the bolt vers the h&k or fn fal which have what looks like a pretty tight fit. Do you think my upper may be more prone to dirt build up than the others? I'm i just over thinking. I want to hunt and plink around with it- it should be fine but even though I'm not really into all this shtf stuff, I do wonder if it would hold up in that scenario - thanks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  6. FernandoTheCommando

I think it will be fine. I find it hard to believe they would produce something that couldn't handle normal outdoor conditions. They torture test Ar's all the time by dunking them in mud, water, sand etc and then fire them. I doubt your rifle will ever encounter conditions bad enough to cause malfunctions from that much debris getting into the action. Aren't there any user reviews on that upper you could check out? Research is your friend.

7. FernandoTheCommando

Hell Im bored and curious. Give us a manufacture name/model number and ill look it up myself lol.

8. Duster

Duster New Member

I talked to Chet- he said he can configure the rifle anyway I want. He assures the way it's shown will work fine but since I'm a fickler, were going to discuss any options. He's a great guy. I'm i allowed to give his info out. He deals with .223,6.8,6.5,.300. Thanks-Mark

9. FernandoTheCommando

Huh? Who's Chet? A rep from the company? What company?Can we have a manufacturer or some kind of website so we can further research it? You're being super vague with details. How are we supposed to help you if we know NOTHING about the upper you're buying?! I give up.

10. Duster

Duster New Member

11. Duster

Duster New Member

Sorry- didn't know if the rules allowed for posting links .thanks

12. FernandoTheCommando

Yeah I mean I'd have no way of knowing anything about it without a link to a site etc etc lol. Honestly man I think it looks fine. I wouldnt worry about a side charging ar jamming from using it in the "woods". The only thing that makes me nervous (and it might just be me) but you bought an expensive upper, with a stainless match grade barrel, a carbon fiber hand gaurd, from a relatively new company, with no research as to whether or not people think it functions well, and you got it from an auction site without actually seeing it in person? Is that correct? Either way like I and others have said, if it's a good quality upper you should be fine. It looks a little fancy for a woods gun to me, so Im not quite sure it will ever see enough dirt (besides carbon build up if you don't clean it) to make it jam or fail to fire etc. Stick around and let us know how it works out.

13. Duster

Duster New Member

Will do.4-5 wks from now. Thanks everyone-

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I know that. I was referring specifically to AR uppers.