Side by side shotgun barrels?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by dwood721, Nov 9, 2008.

1. dwood721

dwood721 New Member

How short can the barrels on side by sides be and still be legal? Second, do you have to buy them short or can a gunsmith cut them down?

2. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

You can cut them down if you want. I believe shotguns with stocks must follow the same 16" rule, or it qualifies as a SBR. JG Sales has a really cool LEO 14" 870 pump right now that requires the SBR tax stamp...

3. dwood721

dwood721 New Member

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

18 inches is barrel minimum under Federal law. Be sure to check for local laws.
    Cut it at 18 1/4 or 18 1/2. That extra 1/2" is good peace of mind. Be sure to
    check on the minimum OVERALL length! I THINK it's 26", but check and be sure.
    A shotgun that was just a wee bit short on the oal is what kicked off the whole
    Ruby Ridge mess.

5. dwood721

dwood721 New Member

Thanks for the info. I ask because I would love to have myself a side by side like Doc Holiday carries to the ok coral on Tombstone but I wasn't sure what the laws were about them

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Measure twice, cut once.

Be very careful, these are public forum that are able to be viewed by everyone who has a computer. It isn't difficult to track someone based solely on their IP address.

7. freefall

freefall New Member

So when we measure "barrels" on a SxS are we talking from the breech face or from the front of the chamber? I cut mine to 22" from the breech face to avoid issues from malevolent prosecution.

8. dwood721

dwood721 New Member

I don't think there is a concern about someone tracing our IPs seeing as we are talking about how long the barrels can be in order to not be illegal. Also I found 2 20inch barrel side by sides today that are just what I am looking for. Even better they came from the manufacturer that size so I wouldn't have to do anything to them.

9. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

That's your best bet.

10. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

an sbr refers to a short barreled rifle. there is a $200 tax stamp on an sbr and special paperwork that needs to be submitted. And I think all sbr sales, private or retail, must go through an ffl...

11. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

18.5 in rule. fyi, but you do need to have it marked on the barrel, so go with the gunsmith

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

18" barrels. 26" overall minimum under Federal law and here in Texas. Make sure you do not have something more restrictive in your jurisdiction.

16" barrel. 26" overall for rifles.

Both are measured from the breech face. It is always safer to go 18 1/2" to be safe. A gunsmith can cut and recrown the double barrel, install a new front sight bead and dress up the finish.

Keep in mind, you will not have a choke at that point. Your barrels will be Cylinder Bore. I believe Doc Holliday had a 10 ga shotty.