Side by side help

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ss33204, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ss33204

ss33204 New Member

I'm looking into buying a stoger side by side coach gun, 20g or 12g. Ive never owned a side by side, any comments would help

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

What are you going to use it for?

3. ss33204

ss33204 New Member

4. ss33204

ss33204 New Member

Home defense / skunk gun

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I just traded for a 20 gauge. The Stoeger is choked improved and modified. It will have tighter patterns than a cylinder bore. I will probably use 2 3/4" #3 buckshot for home defense. 9 pellet 00 buck is available and so are 1 oz slugs Nice very short shotgun.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Nice shotgun, but I would advise against it for HD if for no other reason that it only has 2 shots and you are out. A better choice would be a pump action gun like the Mossberg 500 or a Winchester 1300. More capacity, plus you have that distinctive sound from racking a shell into the chamber. Some disagree but I believe that this sound will cause even the most stalwart bad guy to crap himself and beat a hasty retreat from your home. The downside is that you have to clean up his piss and crap off of your floor, but that is easier to clean up than blood and much easier to deal with than killing someone.

7. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

forget the stoger find a 311 much more dependable

8. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

dmn you forgot the 870 express

9. JTJ

One quirk about side by side doubles. They have to fit for you to shoot well. I am pretty much the same size as the guy they fit guns too at the factory so I can usually pick up a rifle or shotgun and it fits. A lot of people have trouble with doubles because of poor fit. The Stoeger 20 gauge fits me perfectly.

10. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Using the Stoeger coach gun as a hd shotgun is just fine. It can be handled by a dwarf. One shot and the perp will go down from either being hit, or a heart attack. It'll handle even more than one intruder. You can cause a crowd to scatter with one shot. Wouldn't you? Just don't try to turn it into a Swiss army knife with all kinds of junk like flashlights and laser sights, or other gizmos. Stoeger is a well made gun and if I didn't already have a Winchester '97 riot I'd get one like others I know. The 20ga is pleasant to shoot, but 12ga always does the job, even using bird shot.

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

SS,

No doubt Double Barrels or Side by Sides as some call them are surely Cool Shotguns and look Cool also. I have one hanging over the Fireplace Mantle should I need it on the spur of the moment.
    But I have to go with Vikingdad!
    The Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with the 20 Inch Barrel would be my choice and much more beneficial as a tactical type home defense or other use shotgun. You may want to look at them before selecting! The Mossbergs are great guns even though I have a Parkerized Remington 870 Mag. Pump Shotgun with the 8 shell magazine extension in my closet with the 20 inch Rifle Sight Barrel. And you can by add on accessories for both makes of shotguns that are flat super to make them look as BAD as you want. I have number 4 Buck in mine as it sets in the closet with some slugs close at hand should I have to deploy the weapon. In addition, there is something of universal understanding when a thief or bad guy hears the distinct RACK of THE PUMP SHOTGUN.

12. JTJ

My son in law was working as a clerk in a store with another clerk. One guy was acting funny and they figured the might get robbed. When the store cleared the guy approached the counter with his hand in his jacket pocket. The other clerk racked an old style credit card machine and the guy turned and left in a hurry. Those old credit card machines sound just like a pump shotgun.

13. ss33204

ss33204 New Member

Sniper, I don't know if you think i am fairly new to owning firearms but actually I'm looking for information on a stoger side by side shotgun, I own a mossberg 500, and a Remington 870 for home defense shotguns. I don't know why I would need to hear about your gun in my thread about info on a stoger?? Very odd, but sure I like talking about all the guns I own too... I believe my thread title says "side by side help", not "what is a great home defense shotgun?".

14. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Stoeger is a good brand, it's owned by Benelli now do I'm sure quality control is pretty good. I really liked the Stoeger after handling one.

15. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

but how can thay sell them so much cheeper?for an inexpensive sxs i would look for a used us built

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

SS,

First of all when Vikingdad asked you what you wanted it for you stated Home Defense so that raised the question in our minds about double vs the pump gun as others responded about. Most of us here on this Forum get along real well and have made a lot of good friends we do not need people with attitudes on the forum! When we respectfully were trying to assist with responding. Sorry I misunderstood exactly where you were going by reading "For Home Defense" and obviously wasting your valuable time!:rolleyes:

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

This is where the confusion came from. I share in it, I presumed that you are buying your first gun for HD and "skunk gun".

18. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

sniper looks as if you took an att here WE KNOW THERE ARE NO FINER GUNS ON EARTH THAN A 500 OR 870 EXPRESS but looks as if the op may be looking at other options

19. ss33204

ss33204 New Member

..... Crazy, I'm just going to drop it

20. JTJ

I patterned the Stoeger 20 gauge Coach Gun at 7 yards with Remington 2 3/4" #3 buckshot, 20 pellets. The right side is improved and the left is modified. At 5 yards the right side looks like the left side on the picture. The big holes are the wads.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012