Sick & Tired of the gouging

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Glock1926, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Glock1926

Glock1926 New Member

Went to the online gun sites, gunbroker, armslist etc. Tired of seeing all this price gouging for ammo. If this were gasoline or milk there would be an investigation. People like this make it hard for others to shoot. Who needs gun control laws when our fellow shooters make it damn near impossible. Keep hoarding the ammo and charging $1 per round. Thank you

2. hoovco

hoovco New Member

The crappy thing is majority of this surge isn't caused by people that shoot and enjoy their firearms on a regular basis. They're people who heard "ban" and started hoarding and buying everything in sight.

Somewhere there's some kid that saved his money to buy a nice AR to hunt with, but can't because some d-bag bought everything in sight because he thinks he can turn a buck.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well since i guess we're relieving stress & ranting I'm sick of those who seem to keep half a box of ammo on hand till a "crisis" comes to be & then start bitchin about not being able to find or pay the price of ammo they should have had on hand since the last time this happened------ Thank YOU ;)

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Milk well there is a fine example. The dairy lobby has fixed the price of milk for years. No one under Federal law may sell milk for less than a 6% profit margin after cost of goods is added to all freight charges. So if you wanted to sell milk for a 5% margin you will be charged under Federal law with a Felony.:eek:

5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Good point. Like my instructors used to drill in my head. "If you STAY ready you don't have to GET ready".

6. Glock1926

Glock1926 New Member

I wish I had the foresight to buy my ammo before I bought the rifle. Call me naive, I didn't realize how hard it would be to find ammo for a reasonable price. Hopefully if all goes back to normal, I will be. If not, it looks like 1000 rds for $800-1000.

7. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I budget 20-30 dollars a week to buy ammo. Some weeks when I work overtime I may spend 100-200 on ammo. I hate not being able to buy myself but have thousands of rounds on hand. Am I a hoarder? I don't think so as I shoot a lot and believe this is gonna happen over and over. I buy when things are good and am prepared. When this blows over the people bitching need to buy some when they can. What if the govt. cuts supplies how are you gonna fight back? Never be without ammo EVER.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

It'll get better. Next time more will be prepared-

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

When everyone gets tired of the gouging, it will end. It is a wound the shooters inflicted on themselves.

I have decided not to "buy-in" to the thieves. I also am keeping notes on who got too greedy. There will come a day when the pendelum swings back the other way. A lot of sellers will be competing for buyers again.

I learned in 2008, to not depend on a steady supply of ammo. For the last several years I always buy a little more ammo than I shoot. My son and I plinked for two and a half hours today.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Learn to hand load and cast bullets. If you can make your own bullets you are ahead of the game.;)

11. hmh

hmh New Member

Because of almost non existent supply the stores have to sell the little bit they have at an inflated premium so they can cover the cost of operation until they can get more supply.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In the last panic, an online retailer called Cheaperthandirt, was very guilty of gouging. $49.99 a box of 50 for .380 FMJ!!!!!! They will NEVER GET A DIME FROM ME EVER AGAIN!!!!!! I do not easily forget. They should be driven out of business and any other retailer who gouges to that extent.

13. davva360

davva360 New Member

I wasn't as prepared as I would like to have been but its mainly my 9mm that's lower than I would like. I can probably go to the range one more time but then I won't shoot any until I can replace what I shoot. I have plenty in my other calibers.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Never been a CTD fan anyway--

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont know about that. Milk is usually $1.67-$2.37 a gallon here in AZ. This week it is $1.67 at 2 stores Walmart will match the price.

16. kycol

kycol New Member

I have a good enough supply of every caliber I own. But I like to still buy at least a box or two of something every week. But price gouging still burns me up. Had a jerk at the last gun show selling bricks of 22's I just had paid $23 for and he was selling for $60.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

There was one in 1992, 2008 and 2012. That is three. The first one in 1992 we were bitching about 7.62x39 going from 36.00 a case to 56.00. If you did not learn that time, shame on you. As far as CTD, They suck, period.

6 months ago I could buy Centurion 38gr HP .22lr for 17.00+ shipping. Now there is none. Locally .17HMR has gone to 14.00...16.00 per 50. I just bought some on line from the manufacturer and bullet weight I like for 9.53 per 50. 5 Boxes and 10.00 shipping. Still cheaper then local. BTW, most online shops don't buy from the manufacturer, they get it from a distributer. Companies like Cabela's show different Warehouses. false, they are shipped from the distributer. Cheaper then dirt never handle a single round they sell. Midway actually stocks ammo as does Midsouth.

18. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

yeah...and people bidding $700 dollars for a SW Shield??!..that's SIG and HK prices.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

That is just stupid people doing stupid things-

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

JTJ the dairy products are an assured profit item. If the store drops the prices by a dollar they have been making a big profit.:eek: