shtf

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by sgtdeath66, Nov 21, 2008.

1. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

whats the 5 top items you would bring incase shtf

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Weapons
    ammo
    1st aid kit
    water pump
    wife and kids

3. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

well the wife and kide are a given, i was mainly curious about what kind of supplies example 1 firearm of choice 2 knife of choice ect.

4. bushtucker

bushtucker New Member

What does SHTF stand for?

Hey, I'm from aus and ignorant as to what the term SHTF means. Could someone enlighten me please?

5. bkt

bkt New Member

SHTF is an acronym for "sh*t hit the fan", meaning everything goes to hell quickly.

As for the OP's question, it's prudent to have a bug-out bag ready so you don't have to choose a mere five items to bring with you. Clothing, rope, knives, fire-making tools, food, water, water purification tools, firearms and ammunition, medical supplies, lights, communication devices, radios and a whole lot more can fit in one backpack.

Your home will hold far more resources than a bug-out bag or a vehicle. And there should be no plans to abandon your home unless things get very, very bad. Plan to stay put at home, but be prepared.

6. user4

user4 New Member

Agreed with BKT. My Armageddon bag has a hell of a lot more than five items. Only thing I don't have is communication devices, but I can always pick those off the half eaten corpses the zombies leave behind.

7. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Best advice ever. Sure, we all want to go to the woods and eat bark, but the more likely scenario is we will be home. Think power outage, snow storm, etc and be prepared. Just carry enough stuff in your truck (always!) to get back home.

Not dodging the legit question you asked though, although a BOB has a lot more than 5 items. If I could have only 5? Lets see...

Long gun with ammo (ok, cheated and counted as one:D)
    5" fixed blade
    Fire starter
    Old steel canteen cup
    First aid kit

good question, makes you think what one would really choose if you had to

8. leappy

leappy New Member

A good gun, radio device, lights, food, and knife.

9. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

1. Scoped rifle with good ammo.
    2. A good handgun. Probably a Glock 17 with ammo.
    3. Supplies in the form of food and water.
    4. A good sheath knife.
    5. Fire starting gear like matches, lighters and/or firesteel.

10. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

i would bring
    1. my 12 gauge mossy 500
    2. my remmy 597 .22lr
    3. my sog seal pup
    4. fire starter
    5. mre's

and i would find some place in the woods and bunker down for a few weeks-months and teach my daughter survival skills like how to prepare water, kill and skin game and how to make shelter

11. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Already have bags and boxes ready to go but if I didn't; guns, ammo, food, water and communications.

12. chopkick

chopkick New Member

1. Remington 870 Marine Magnum w/ammo
    2. Kimber CDP Procarry w/ammo
    3. Knife-Fixed and Folder
    4. First-Aid Bag
    5. German Shepard

Will use items 1 and 2 to aquire what i don't have.:D

13. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

This is going to get very repetitive!!

My 308 or 30.06 and ammo
    .45 Colt 19991A1 because that is what I have the most ammo for
    Sweet water purifier and 5 gal. container
    [​IMG]

Camping cookware and fire starter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My SOG SEAL 2000
    [​IMG]

14. matt g

How are those pumps?

I've got an old First Need that has seen better days.

15. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

It works! You will want extra filtering pickup and stone as they do get clogged up and producing 5 gal from a mud hole isn't going to happen in short order but if enough to drink for a day is the goal, one per person is necessary.

16. matt g

Speed is sort of what I was worried about. The First Needs are/were pretty speedy.

It never needed a pre-filter.

17. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The pump looks suspiciously Swedish, and not for purifying water, but for reaching your "full potential".:D

1) AK + 7 mags

2) XD .45

3) Cold Steel Kukhri machete

4) the old trusty iodine tab water purification system

5) a bottle of Chivas, the only blended scotch I'll touch

18. gun guy

gun guy New Member

870 12 ga. survival knife fire starter crank radio with light para lda 45/14

19. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

what folder do you have or prefer, mine is my c.r.k.t m16-10kz

20. opaww

opaww New Member

Not to take away from others idea of a trek in the woods or hills of SHTF happens. But I think BKT’s idea is better. Going to the hills or woods may be very dangerous at best sense 85 million gun owners and their families will be trying to make it to the hills to survive. The game just won’t last to long out there with everyone and their brother trying to shoot whatever moves so they can eat.

Staying put in your home and being ready and willing to defend it at least you are out of the cold rain in the winter. One can always find a way to stay warm. Having the advantage of large storage in ones abode is paramount along with the other luxuries like a good supply of medical supplies.

Fortifying a place in the hills is ok if the government is not involved in bringing all the terrorists to justice sense they can locate you and do such thing as surround you and wait you out, bring in chemical weapons and lay them down in your compound, maybe just say to the hell with it and send for a drone with a smart bomb.

Staying on the move in the hills won’t be a good idea either if the government wants you they will simply set many detection devices at their disposal out to track you and when you come in range of a hidden Bradley they just take you out with a .20mm from a long ways away, no risk to them.

One thing I may do is head to a big city if I see things fixing to really hit the fan, sense in a place like New York City there are millions of people and a government will not shell a city like that just to get one small dissident. Under martial law in the city one can own the night.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    opaww