SHTF Shack

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Ruger44, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

Enclosed are a few pics of my shack on top of my mountain in Vermont. Sometime ago I posted some pics of my buried schoolbus, which was located on the bottom part of my property. This is my shack along with another schoolbus that I use for storage. I am in the process of getting this place squared away. I should finish it up sometime next summer.
    The one pic with no shack is my pond which is about 25 yards from the building. I know it's not much, but I've got it well insulated and it dosen't leak. Notice the solar panel in front. One panel gives enough power for lights, radio, and a laptop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

3. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Nice. A little at a time and you will have a serious location there.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Swampy all the time? Would be great if it was! Lookin good!!

5. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Cool... Does the buried schoolbus stay dry inside?

6. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

Not swampy, that's just drainage coming down from the wet part to the right of the shack. Just need a small dozer to come up and put a proper ditch along there. It does dry up some as is in the middle of summer. My plan is to eventually bring some gravel for a small road to allow vehicle access.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Would you please tell me a bit about your solar panel?

8. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

The buried bus works quite well. Before I buried it, I covered the entire bus in roofing tar, then put some plastic and buried the sucker. Got about 12 in. of dirt on the roof, the north, east and west side are also covered. The south side is covered up to the bottom of the windows. I stayed nice and toasty inside all winter and cool in the summer. If you go back in this thread area on 08/16/10 I posted some pics of the buried bus and how I built up out of it with some wood.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Very cool. Can the interior of a school bus be stripped out pretty easy? Seats, etc...

10. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

Oh yes. No problem. In fact for the bus I buried I took the seat frames and bolted them to the bus on the south facing side above the windows to hold the dirt up on the roof. The steering wheel came out easily also and that is where I put the shower. Paid a couple hundred bucks for the bus, it's a Blue Bird and it's an instant home! Got the stove pipe going out a window which I replaced with some sheet metal. You can even use the linterior lights, I didn't but you can.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Fascinating. You bolted the seats on the outside of the bus to help keep the dirt in place?

12. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

If you were sitting in the seat, your legs would be dangling in front of the windows, thus the back of the seatback is holding up the dirt. The cushions from the seats have been revoved, only the metal remains. See enclosed picture. Before I put the wood part up, the seats went all along the bus. Looking from left to right, the rear of the bus is to the left. The logs to the extreme right cover the engine compartment.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Gotcha. Missed that the first time. Are they bolted all the way through the side of the bus?

14. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

They are clamped at the bottom with half moon clamps and bolted to the sheet metal that is behind the seatbacks, which is screwed into the bus roof with some large sheet metal screws. In the ground since 1981 and still solid.

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I'm pretty impressed. Time to do more research about "modified school bus dwellings". Can you post some pics of the inside?

16. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

I'll need a little time to see if I got any pics of the inside. Basically, I cleared out the whole thing of seats. I built the sleeping area at the rearmost of the bus. On the south facing windows side, about half way up I put the wood stove. On the other side I built wooden benches for seating with storage underneath, this extended about three quarters to the front. On this same side I then put the sink with some counter space extending towards where the drivers seat was where I put the shower. As you can see in the picture, I had built a sencond story living area where the front half of the bus is. I removed the front half of the roof to do this. I did this becuse previously I had a 28 ft high tower built at the front of the bus over the engine compartment where u now have that log section. The tower caught fire and collapsed onto the front half of the bus, crushing the roof. So, I then removed the front portion of the roof and built what u see in the picture. The beauty of this is that the insulating value of the earth, and the snow in winter helps keep u warm. Also cool in the summer. It was a cheap way to go. I also had solar for power and a spring nearby.

17. wldennis

wldennis New Member

Me like! Thanks for the pics.

18. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Weve got lots of underground SHTF shacks here. Unfortunately they are privately owned, and most full of water. Atlas E missile silos. THe one nearest my inlaws property(my shtf rendevous), is nearly 90% full of water.

19. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

Bummer! I've been out to your area many times. Looks like you probably can't go real deep if u want to go into the earth.

20. dp509

dp509 New Member

Tagged for interest.