SHTF scenario 1 - No electronic transactions

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Poink88, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I experienced this scenario where one of the biggest banks of the nation (not USA) went belly up and people panicked trying to withdraw their money from all other banks. This caused cash shortage which triggered further panic (and other bankruptcy). The gov't eventually placed a maximum withdrawal per account but the people took months to settle down. Note that the country, at that time, hardly uses CC or Debit card yet and most transactions are in cash. Commerce, work, etc. continued normally despite this.

Scenario. USA lost means to do electronic transactions (for whatever reason). No ATM, no POS CC/Debit card processing, etc. It is temporary and may just last a day or could be weeks.

Note that in this scenario, like in my example, you can still buy anything and everything if you have cash.

Are you ready or will you be one of the mob waiting for the bank to open?
    How much cash do you have (not your savings in the bank)?
    Do you have enough supplies and try to wait it out?
    What is the likelihood that it will ignite riots?

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

BTW, this post is triggered by my observation of what others usually say/list they keep in their SHTF kit or BOB. Cash is usually forgotten...which IMHO is one of the most important and should be pointed out.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Valid point. If the banks are not doing business, and the CC machine is out, you may be standing there looking poor and stupid. I try to keep one virgin but usable CC and some green folding dead presidents in my "gotta go- bye" stuff. And a roll of quarters.

Ya never know when you need to feed a vending machine, or cash for supplies, "la mordida" etc.

Nice thing about money- it may not be the right size, but it is ALWAYS the right color.

PS- here's a thought- roll your chump change with ones on the outside, and a rubber band holding your stash-rolled around a small tube of OC spray.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Interesting thought! Bad enough that you cannot get cash, yet not so bad that barter has replaced cash. Food for thought!!

5. hogrider

hogrider New Member

If the electricity is out how will you pay cash for something when they can't scan the merchandise looking for a bar code? Seems the mom and pop stores will be the only ones that might be able to function without that darn bar code.

6. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Larry, While that is possible (and funny), the scenario did not say electricity is out. It could be just the communication lines that is down or internet for that matter.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Think EMP. Nothing electronic works. It is a very real danger.

I highly recommend reading "One Second After" by W. Fortschen. It's one of the most realistic SHTF if books out there.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Reminds me of the solar flare situation back in the late 1990's; none of the gas stations around where i was working could get a connection or whatever to accept credit/debit cards. It was annoying, but ATM's at bank locations were still working. IIRC, it had an impact on cellular phones too.

9. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I do think the cash in the BOB is a good point......especially because I think that if there is a SHTF it probably WILL be lack of electricity. But, will money have more value than the price of paper if the SHTF.

I saw this show on TV recenly about solar flares and how they could wipe out the electrical grid.....pretty interesting stuff.

can you imagine if there was no electricty at all? no gas pumps, no heat or cooling, no water, no street lights, no power tools, no cell phones.....etc.

This stuff could be a reality.....we better be prepared!

10. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

It happened to me too twice! Not because of solar flare but by Super Typhoon (more than 180mph sustained winds) downing most of the power poles of the island and left us with no water for a week and no power for a month (other areas for 2 months). To make matters worse...it was early December so we had Christmas and New Year w/o power. :mad:

But that is a totally different scenario. :D ;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  11. bkt

bkt New Member

Sure, we've been hit by that before. We keep several hundred in the safe (1's, 5's, 10's and 20's nothing bigger) and a couple hundred in the bob. (For those inclined to stash precious metals, do you keep any in your bob? It couldn't hurt to keep 10 or so ounces in there.)

The rolls of coins is an outstanding idea, thanks.

12. bizy

bizy New Member

Cash??

When SHTF, you will see people with cash are paying bucket loads of money for a can of green beans or a gun or medical supplies. My faith is in barter.
    You can't eat money, smoke it, shoot it. Don't get me wrong, I keep a fair amount on hand just in case.. I also keep fire making tools, guns and ammo on hand just in case.. I try to cover all bases just in case.

13. Seven

Seven New Member

As well as can be I suppose.

Approx. $1500 and another $250 stored in the grips of both mine and the kid's shtf rifles.

[​IMG]

^ I really need to break that into smaller bills.

My roll of coins are silver nickels. There's a chance my paper money could be worthless. Overnight.
    (imo, ymmv) I don't see the point in carrying a roll of change. Although I do carry a buck in quarters.
    If you're counting on it for vending machines, you shoulda packed more food. Chances are either the power will be out and the vending machine won't work or it will have already been vandalized.
    If you are counting on change for pay phones, pack a car charger and a spare charged battery. Most modern cell phones last for days (if you can keep your wife from yapping to the MIL).

90+ days at home. Depends on how far I need to stretch it.
    Along with non-power ways to cook.
    Water too, along with purification for rain and stream water.
    Got 5ish days in each BoB. Again, depends on how long it needs to stretch.

imo? Depends on lots of variables.
    Do you live in a city or the country where some of the people know how to get by?
    Is the power out? For how long? Being in-the-dark just seems to give some people the right to loot.
    Are services still up? Turn off the interwebz and see how long it'll take some people to go crazy.
    Are the police out in force? Are they doubling up shifts?
    Is relief coming? As long as the unprepared know the Red Cross is on the way, they'll stay calmer.

Depends on lots of things.

14. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

I'm with CA here. The possibility of an EMP is a very real possibility. I understand the sunspot issues could pop up at any time as sun spot activity has definitely increased in recent years, but also I believe that there are many other forms of EMPs out there capable of these bursts, including governmental entities that may not be friendly to Americans. These can be focused to a very small area, or could be widespread and quite possibly planetary in nature.

With many phones, including land-lines, now incapable of operation without electricity, many will be cut off from everyone else and panic will surely follow. Does anyone out there still have an old open/close circuit phone (rotary)? And if you don't do you know how to make one that is not, work as if it does? I believe communication will be one of the biggest obstacles in any SHTF situation.

After communication, next on my list would be "money" whether it be ways to barter, or actual paper. IMHO, I think paper money will not be of much use in the huge planetary scenario. A localized one maybe, but precious metals have always seemed to be useful. But they are heavy if you plan on toting them along.

There has been a gold and silver grab going on right now. If you watch any TV at all, I'm sure you have seen the commercials asking for your gold and silver for cash. Makes me wonder, who is actually buying up all this metal? And what is their ultimate goal in doing so? Do they know something we don't? I would never trade any of my precious metals for cash. If you have gold or silver, I think that it will always be worth more than cash. Throughout history, all societies have used it in one form or another. It seems to be universal. But that's just my opinion. :)

15. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Jeff Cooper called ammunition "ballistic wampum". I'm with him.

I'm also looking for a pre 1972 Blazer/Jimmy/Suburban vehicle for emergency transportation.

When I read "One Second After" it really impressed me with the danger of an EMP event. It, like "Patriots" and "Unintended Consequences" are quite useful for imagining and preparing for emergencies, even though they're works of fiction.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Back in '99 my wife asked me if we should have some more cash on hand "just in case". My response was "We have ammo."

Be prepared, but don't be stupid. My grandmother came here from Germany in 1917. She told us about Germany and of having to bring a box full of money (billions! she said in 1979) to the grocery store and telling the grocer to take what was owed. The money was worthless. That is when she came to the US.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Ya never know when you need to feed a vending machine
    [/QUOTE]

Seriously? Do you think those things are filled by aliens or something? I am kinda thinking that under the SHTF scenario the vending machines will be emptied of their contents including food and coins pretty God damned quick. Is that just me or what?

18. Seven

Seven New Member

Seriously? Do you think those things are filled by aliens or something? Is that just me or what?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Real situation:
    After hurricane, main electricity out, gas station running on generator, no phone lines.

Yes, I have cash, and Yes, I bought gas.

20. fireguy

fireguy New Member

We keep cash in the safe. We don't do well on keeping it there, though. We need to do much better and leave that alone instead of getting into it when we need to refill our wallets. I have a get home bag that I need to put more cash in as well, Cr's idea makes sense.
    As far as supplies at home, we are good for a long time.