SHTF: Save Ammo, Still Eat

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by fapprez, Jul 23, 2008.

1. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but worth bringing up either way.

I got to thinking today about the whole survival/SHTF situation that may be upon us very soon. I thought mainly about feeding my family in a situation like this.

Fishing naturally came to mind as all you need is a string and a hook and you can dig bait. But what about land animals? I mean, you can't fish for coons and squirells. I guess you could always shoot them. But why waste the ammo? Why use 2o shot shells for 20 meals when for the same price you can buy a live animal trap and catch the same amount 100 times over? Save the ammo for the zombies, ya know what I mean?

I have browsed some of the survival threds but have yet to see animal traps come up. They're $20-30 at your local home improvement store, fold flat and if they fail, you can fix them with a piece of wire.

What are your thoughts on this? I know a coon won't keep a family full, but if you bought 2 or 3 traps......

2. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I think if I trapped a live animal I would shoot it!

I have the NAHC Wild Game Cookbook - to be honest with you, I think I would starve! (Squirrel tastes good)

3. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Well, if you did try to survive on wild animals, it's common Ozark knowledge that Possum pie and Squirrel stew taste just as good the second day....

4. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Club it, slit it's throat, stab it with a stick. Any way you do, it would still save ammo.

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Have you ever confronted an angry racoon? (not that I would eat a coon)
    .22 ammo isn't expensive enough to bring me to stabbing or clubbing an animal to death. I guess I'm just not a "hands-on" kinda guy....:eek:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  6. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

There are some other "recipes" in my book that would gag a maggot...some animals just don't taste like chicken!

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

A good .22 or .177 pellet rifle would do the trick and ammo for that is cheap!

Like the RWS 460 Magnum .22 Cal- 1150 FPS for around $600 or the Crosman Tac 1 Extreme .22 cal 800 FPS Tactical Air Rifle w/ Scope, Bipod, Laser, Flashlight & Case for around $300.

And no noise!!

8. Duck

Duck New Member

Don't knock it until you've tried it. Coon is really good if you cook it correctly. I only add correctly because it is pretty greasy. You need to cook it in a way that will get rid of most of the grease. The best way is to skin/ gut it, cut the glands out from under its front legs, and boil it in a big pot with an onion, salt and pepper. Once it has tendered up a little, throw it on the grill and cover with bbq sauce. I guarantee you that you won't pass one up after you've tried it. It's easy and it's really good.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

This would work for dog as well. Just don't tell anyone what it is or where rover went. :D

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

+1 ROFLMAO!!!! Thanks a lot...I'll think of this next time I order Chinese food...if I ever eat Chinese food again. Ever been to the Phillipines?

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

5 months in Subic Bay, 1972, USS Bryce Canyon.

12. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I trapped Muskrats and Mink for years in my youth. I'd never eat either one, unless. When I started to trap Fox, Racoons were a typical find in the Fox traps. A 60 lb racoon will meet it's fate from a .22lr. I went from carrying a big cedar club to carrying a Ruger MkII on the trap line.

I'm not looking to eat dog.

13. Cajun

Cajun New Member

Rabbit

Trap rabbit, grab it by the ears and then hit it in the head with a rubber mallet.:eek: My grandfather used to do this, we never went hungry and he saved ammo.

14. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Sorry folks. My whole understanding of a SHTF scenario is that stores will be closed and what we have to surive on grows shorter by the day. In this case, it wouldn't matter how cheap ammo is if the stores have been cleaned out. Who knows, maybe I'm way off base.

15. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

+1 my friend! You sounded too knowledeable about preparing dog. Puppy Pate` - a culinary treat!

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

At the very least, the small dog rescue group behind my house will feed my own dogs for a couple of weeks. Of course I would feed the poor little rescue dogs to keep them going in the mean time.

What do you call a Korean guy with two dogs?

A rancher.

17. Musket

Musket New Member

Actually......

Dig a worm, catch a sunfish, cut up said sunfish and stick on larger hook with 20lb test and steel leader. Throw out and wait to catch mr angry snapper.
    Decapitate said snapper and make soup with the rest. Shell can also be used for various implements.

gruesome yes, but eaten in restaurants and some southern states. Alligator snappers can be quite large, and some meat can be obtained.

If you live in the south, alligator (not the turtle) can also be had, which does taste like chicken :)

Don't forget frogs--they dont have much meat, but can be eaten and caught without shooting :)

Snakes can also be eaten fairly easily.

Of course--again the above is reserved for the "end is near" scenarios when stop n shop et al are out of business.....

Now I am going away before I start actually thinking about what is in my lunch :eek:

18. Musket

Musket New Member

19. mpoirier22114

mpoirier22114 New Member

i've never had turtle before but, they are easy enough to obtain, i've had gator, and frog, and rattler and they all taste similar to chicken:D

20. Musket

Musket New Member

Turtles are easier to catch than most people realize. In fact, if you do not have a hook/bait available, you can walk along the shallows with a long stick and slowly push along under the mud. eventually you will bump into one, and when they come up out of the mud they can be grabbed by the tail.

Careful of the claws though--they are designed to rip flesh and you wont be happy if they nail you.

the larger snapper species can be quite large--weighing 80 to 100lbs. But--in a disaster scenario, even smaller turtles can be consumed for nutrition. Turtles are not my first menue choice (ick) but certainly can be dined on if needed.....

If you are in the south and can manage to catch a gator, then you have a fair amount of meat to survive on. But again, certain risks need to be considered when going after this type of food source. You really do not want to hurt yourself when you are in self preservation mode, as something that is simple today--such as a broken foot, could cost you your life if you are on your own.

why is it that most reptiles seem to taste like chicken? Or maybe its that chicken tastes like reptile? :D