SHTF on History Channel

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Duddn, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Duddn

Duddn New Member

It seems as though History Channel is showing a theoretical scenario for the worst global disaster. Good show, you guys should check it out.

2. MGH

MGH New Member

I saw the nuclear attack scenario. It was pretty informational; I didn't know you could go blind from looking directly at the explosion.

3. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

:eek: I was just reading that NASA Says the earthquake in Chile possibly shifted the earth's axis making the days shorter.

4. Duddn

Duddn New Member

Id like to see that one. This one was about a flu pandemic, good show with lots of info.

5. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

If you are close enough to see the flash, yes, it will blind you. But be patient as in a few milliseconds later the shockwave and flame will cook you to a crisp.
    Some years ago I met a man who was some nuclear advisor to the US Govt. during the 60's.. Scary stuff he told me. The thing I remember most was:
    If a 1 megaton nuke was dropped over downtown Los Angeles, Everything to Newport Beach would be leveled. Considering most countries at that time in the late 1980's had 10 megaton warheads..

6. orangello

orangello New Member

WOOOHOOO! The end of the week is nearer! SAWEEEET!

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

That otta put a chill on things!! Good bye Global Warming!! :D

8. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

That's what I'm talkin' about !

9. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Wait.. Think about this.. Shorter days.

This is to those older than 40.. Remember when June was actually hot ? Maybe this is what the Earth needed to put it back "old school".. Climate change reversal ? OK.. My wife just told me that it makes sense to her. Uh Oh.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I served on a Polaris (NOT TRIDENT) submarine in the late 60's. We carried more firepower with our 16-A3 birds and 2 MK48 torpedoes than what was expended, by both sides, during WW II. That included the two nukes dropped on Japan.

Thermonuclear war is a capability we do not want those who scrog goats to gain! These weapons are truly the dogs of war that once released, cannot be re-chained!

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Every major earthquake changes time. That change can be as large as .001 of a second. Lest anyone think that our calendar is perfect and exact, think again. Sometimes the powers that be decide to change time by +/-.01 of a second just to kinda keep things in order. It happens more than you think. Of course it is a ploy to make you late to work. :eek:

12. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Wow, Cane.. That much firepower on one sub ?

13. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Dang. Late to work ? I was hoping the earth was spinning faster therefore making my overall weight lighter..

14. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Nah...not lighter, just re-distributed :p

Like the man said...."I like big butts...and I cannot lie......":D

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If you jump at the right time, your watch won't change. ;)

16. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Damn, that brings back memories of my formative years in the 80s. Even went so far as to make sure when I moved out of home I picked somewhere in the inner city, so that if some major infrastructure was targeted (Sydney CBD for instance) you'd "go up with the first flash" :rolleyes:

Funny to think now how freaked out everyone was back then. I imagine the 60s would have been just as bad...

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

"Sling Blade?" or Queen?

18. MGH

MGH New Member

They said the biggest change with the quake wasn't the time change but the earth's axis changed 3 inches, 33 feet at the poles.
    When do you think Al Gore will start to blame Chile for global shifting?:p

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

They taught us that in the Army. We never really believed we would live long enough to go blind though. They never told us that. They said to turn away from the blast and drop to the ground. As if the soles of our boots would protect us from a nuclear blast. Mine didn't seem that tuff. Maybe they were defective! LOL

20. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

The 60s? Hell, you should have seen the 50s. Here's something that I went through a lot in elementary school.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0K_LZDXp0I]YouTube - Duck and Cover[/ame]

Right. Even then, as an 8 and 9 year old, I wondered how covering myself with my hands was going to stop the blast wave from burying my ass under the debris when the building collapsed, not to mention being fried by the thermal wave.

Also, there were a lot of posters like this around:

How to survive an Atomic Bomb

During the 60s, posters like this were "the thing:"

Notice- Kiss Your Ass Goodbye Poster