SHTF Guns

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by General_lee, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General_lee

General_lee New Member

This has probably been done over and over again, but I just wanted to get some people's opinions on what type(s) of firearms you would take with you if you had to bug out?

In a perfect world, if I had a friend or relative or two with me to help carry stuff, I would have my trusty romy AK for hairy situations, my .308 Mauser for long range deer sniping, my Remington 597 .22lr for small game, and lets not forget the 1911 on my hip just in case.

If I had to bug out by myself, I know the 1911 would be with me as always, but if I had to carry only one of those rifles, I'm not sure which one would be the best all around gun for the situation.

What do you guys think?

2. james_black

james_black New Member

Im gonna reply to you the way I believe and prepared myself.

Long Range Rifle
    30.06 or 308.
    Reason: (30.06) common hunting round. Surplus availability. (308)Military and law enforcement use.

Carbine
    AR15 5.56
    Reason: Military and law enforcement use.

Shotguns
    pump or semi in 12 gauge
    Remington 870, mossberg 500 0r 590 (pump)

Pistol
    9mm, 40 s&w, 45acp
    Either Glock, Spingfield Armory xd, 1911, Sig Sauer, Berettas

Small animals/hunting/etc
    22lr rifle
    your choice.

The reason i decided to keep it with military/ law enforcement ammo/guns is because if ShTF and you happend to go from point A to point B and you find a police cruiser or a abandoned military truck you have more chances to find parts and ammo for the already mention guns. If you happend to come across a abandoned military installation 9mm, 12 gauge, 5.56 ammo is gonna be the norm in small armaments. Find out what law enforcement use in your area and then pick and choose. I haved notice that from California to Wa state and other cities and counties u are always gonna see an AR15 rifle and or shotgun in a police patrol. Military have an m4 and a berreta.
    So I picked those has a starting base and adapted myself to learn with these.
    Learn how to take them apart just in case you need to do your own repairs or exchange parts. Keep your armament simple and u will safe some serious $$$$.
    I hope this helps!:)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010

3. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Thats like 50 pounds of weaponry :p .

Me? 9mm pistol only. Im gonna be moving if I have to bug out. I can hit a torso at 100 yards from the prone position with my pistol. Any further than that and they are either not a real threat and I would be moving the opposite direction (say a crazy guy shooting into the air with a revolver), or they ARE a real enough threat to justify killing (a guy with a scoped rifle trained on me), in which case I am endangering myself more by fighting than by running. Not to mention, it's a lot easier to move FAST with 25 pounds of gear, with maybe 5-7 pounds of it being a related to a small single weapon, than it is with 35 or 40 pounds of gear, with half of it being related to weaponry, or 80 pounds of gear, with two-thirds of it being related to weaponry.

In the near future I'll probably add a .22lr target pistol to that for small-game hunting. In the equally near future both of those will be suppressed.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

.22LR Cheap ammo, .177 Pneumatic Cheap and Quiet game getter, .308 Long Range Tactical NATO, 9MM NATO, .45ACP Protection/Intimidation, .223/5.56 NATO. My take is you can trade, steal or pick up on the battlefield most of the ammo mentioned.

Oh, if there ever is a SHTF scenario.......it will be a battlefield.

5. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

If you are prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse, then you are prepared for anything. I don't have a rifle yet, but I can use my grandma's scoped .22, and I have a Charles Daly pump with pistol grip, a Smith & Wesson in .40, Rossi .38 Special, and today I bought a Springfield Armory XD in .45 and it holds 13 rounds in the clip. I'm not as prepared as most of the people here, but I am going to be moving like a ninja and will only fire a shot if a knife won't do the job, and I will just try to avoid all confrontation.

6. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I'll be staying put with all my weapons and ammo.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Yeah, and I'll be taking out zombies at 2000 yards with my blow gun.:rolleyes:

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I don't need no guns.

I move like a ninja and kill like a lion.

OMG really your gonna use your grandma's 22 and move like a ninja.

[​IMG]

9. spittinfire

Thanks tango, now I have to wipe coffee off my computer.

10. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Hmm... It looks as though I should probably invest in a good 9mm for battlefield ammo pickups, and a good pump shotgun for the zombies.

Jeeez, I'll be carrying more guns than a B-17G Flying Fortress with the added chin turret:eek:

11. tallguy130

tallguy130 New Member

If SHTF I would go more for speed and ease of carry then for heavy firepower. I want to avoid a firefight or be able to extract myself from one if need be.

Most likely would carry a 9mm of some kind. Easy ammo to find and light to carry along with a scoped .22, again easy ammo to find and very light to carry. A good .22 would also be useful for small game hunting as I expect food would be an issue by the time I bug-out.

Granted this is all based on my plan of hunkering down during the start of a SHTF and then very quickly buging out to a more rural area when forced. More bug-in localtion to bug-out. Just my two cents.

12. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

In a SHTF situation I will be using a mossberg 590 with a sling, top folding stock, and a mix of bird/buck shot and slugs. Serves most all purposes. a sidearm will be a 9mm pistol soon, most likely springfield xd, and later a .22 rifle with a scope. Always stock up and bug-in. Share supplies with neighbors and wait out the storm. If you HAVE to leave, the red cros and military should be there by then. Hopefully that is

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I don't think it's very wise to take on a scoped rifle at 100 yards with a 9mm. It sounds like extremely poor odds. :eek:

If SHTF, the Red Cross will be taking care of the Red Cross. The Feds will be trying to get their heads out of their butts, particularly this current administration.
    The free lunch leeches and welfare and entitlement crowd will fast become violent. They will eventually range further out of their comfort zones in search of survival.
    And the libtards and progressives will begin to experience reality at a deadly pace.

Plan ahead, don't get married to one strategy, instead have multiple options and plans. Nobody can plan for every eventuality, but be flexible.

As far as my SHTF weapons go, I have what I need.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  14. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

There's NO WAY you'll be able to successfully engage a rifleman at 100 yards-especially if they're firing at you and all you have is a 9mm pistol. You might THINK you can but doing so is another matter entirely. You've never been in a real firefight have you? People don't just stand there and wait for you to hit them.

Also once you do get a .22 pistol you need to hunt small game with that actual gun. When the SHTF comes if you havn't already got experience with the firearms you'll be using it won't be very easy to hunt with them. It won't be any easier then than it is now, and probably a lot harder since you won't be the only 1 with that idea.

15. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

My Marlin 60 and YHM suppressor will be hanging out in a bell tower somewhere.

16. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Damn.....ok I see a lot of "forcefully acquired" and "liberated".22 rifles and 9mm pistols, not to mention what ever else ya'll got, in my SHTF future. I hope I will be able to do some good barter trading with them. :rolleyes:

Jack

17. spittinfire

You planning on bringing that ruckus to the spitty farm?

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Good point, Jack. Fact is that the .22 lr will take the 9mm (and supplies) at 100 yds. Then the guy on the hill with the .25-06 gets both, and then the next higher hill, the guy with the .223 gets their stuff, next hill, the .308 gets that, next hill, the .300 win mag gets that....all the way up to Olympus where Zeus has the .500 BMG...

Zeus and the BMG FTW!!!! :D

19. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Good thinking except I don't see a 25-06 losing a long range battle to a .223.

20. james_black

james_black New Member

50lbs plus to carry. Didn't mean to carry all that, lol. You can choose what u want to carry. If u bug in that will be armament and calibers that are common and u can resupply if u happend to find them. Either in abandoned law enforcement vehicles or military, bases, police station etc, etc. By the way BEaR.....love your new avatar. Kicks ass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.