SHtf gun

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BWilder, Aug 19, 2012.

1. BWilder

BWilder New Member

Im trying to sell my ar15 to get a gun more sutiable for when shtf. What wouod you guys recommend?

2. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

I am not a survivalist by any means but what could be better than an ar15 for shtf?

3. towboater

towboater Active Member

An AR is what most people want.

I think a 22 rifle would come in very handy.

4. BWilder

BWilder New Member

Well i just thought theres less matainace guns out there. I mean you might not be able to clean your guns that well if shtf.

5. BWilder

BWilder New Member

I was looking at a henry lever action .22. They take long, short and lr.

6. downsouth

downsouth New Member

In my opinion, hold on to your ar and cancel cable for six months, pick up your henry with the cash you saved. Re-order cable when they run new customer specials for about half price. When you get the cable back they will still be running the same repeats, you won't have missed much and you have two guns.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

:confused::confused:

Your keyboard is transmitting, but I have no concept of what you are saying. :rolleyes:

You want to dump and AR and get something else?

What?!?! Pray tell? Would be "better"?!

You could have a production AK. Kill everything you can hit. Inside about 250 yards.

That leaves the rest of the piston driven weapons and the DI AR-10 on your list, but not in the $1000 range.

I would be interested to see where this thread goes.....:confused:

JD

8. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

The only way ill sell my ar is if im in a money pinch even then I can live for a week with no cash

9. BWilder

BWilder New Member

Ar's arn't for me personally. Sorry if i don't like em as much as other people! Lol

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Is a troll someone who is "trolling," as in fishing in, an intenet forum for the purpose of creating havoc? I've seen the term used regularly but don't fully understand it except for the context it seemed to be being used in...

This thread might be better in the Preparedness area. The AR would seem an, if not the, ideal arm for the general scenario outlined.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Then you really don't even want a shtf firearm. Now you want a leveraction 22. Talk about things that can go wrong. Sell the AR and by a bolt action 22 and become a weekend plinker. The firearm for when shtf would be a mitary based centerfire and a easy to mantain AR is great for just that. What to you think the military use's. Not .22's. Seems you also want all sorts of miltary weapons by your other post. pps-43 ak-47, and so on.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  12. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Idk. Probably an AR15...what do you want a mini gun?

13. TLuker

TLuker New Member

If AR's aren't for you then look at a mini and/or an M1A. If semi-autos aren't for you then look at a lever action or bolt action. I would recommend that you have at least one center fire that you really like and trust, and then get a .22 to go along with that.

As a bare minimum, I think everyone should have 2 center fire rifles (one for longer ranges and one for shorter range), a .22, and a shotgun.

Just my .02 :)

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Well, what do want your SHTF gun to do? Do you want it to put food on the table, protect your property, be portable if you have to bug out, be easy to operate and do armory level maintenence on yourself?

What characteristics do you want?
    What range?
    What targets?

15. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

A lever action rifle would be the last thing I would get as a shtf weapon.

Weapon, in a shtf scenario that is what you want, a weapon.

If you want a good shtf weapon KEEP the AR, if its a cheap AR sell it. Use the money to buy a M&P Sport, M14, or Kel-Tec SU16. If you want a gun that is less accurate out to range but "more durable" get an AK or SKS.

Hell, save up for the next two months, buy a Henry and keep the AR.

16. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

If u want a 22 just save up I picked one up at walmart for about 150-200

17. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

There's always the mosin..

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

A FB28 Febreeze Spray Gun would prolly be the best choice is SHTF.

19. longunner

longunner New Member

I'll take that AR off your hands if you don't want it :) pm me