SHTF Gun Fixed Sights or Not? Why?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jasonlarue1013, Jun 22, 2012.

1. jasonlarue1013

jasonlarue1013 New Member

Subject says it all explain yourselves!! Lol

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Red dot with backup irons because redundancy is best if shtf.

3. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

For a SHTF gun I would say, Standard front sight(pinned), rear sight of your choice. My self, My red dot is zeroed at 100 and my mateck is zeroed at 200. If the red dot goes out pop up the matech and I'm zeored at 50 and 200 +- 2" . And the Matech will adjust for longer shots as well. So that's my thinking

EDUB

4. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Always have irons zeroed at 250 meters. If all else fails use them as intended.

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

RDS with fixed front and pop up rear irons.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

This is pretty much my setup on my BCM and DD though I have the irons and RDS zeroed at 50/200 yards. I've dabbled with the Matech but now standardized with MBUS rears.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

A2 upper with removeable scope mount for a scope or red dot sight. not the most accurate in mounting a scope, but on my carbine it works great and i can remove or attach very quickly.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

my shtf goto war gun is my BCM midlength lightweight barrel with trijicon acog green chevron on a larue single lever qd mount. currently using midwest industries slp rear sight as back up.

irons are a must on any optic driven rifle you may be staking your life on.

i also think having a working usable bayonet lug and bayonet handy are a must have as well.

its not liekly anything will happen to my acog but if it does its a quick throw of the lever and popping that optic off and im back in the fight. im going to order a matech sight and fiddle around with it. i like the concept of the matech

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Some people do prefer a fixed rear sight like the LMT or cut carry handle or the Daniel Defense for the added strength. On the other hand a flip up rear with an RDS makes more sense to me and is tough enough, even the MBUS. In the down position it doesn't interfere with the RDS and can be flipped up quick if needed.

10. jasonlarue1013

jasonlarue1013 New Member

I agree. My main point is about fixed front sights! Only problem I can think of is if it didnt co witness with RDS or ACOG. Do y'all ever feel it slows u down thru optic? Or gets in way Rolf RDS and ACOG?

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Some people aren't bothered by a fixed rear while using the optic. I tried it that way at first but had to go to flip down. You just get a better field of view. Also when you look through the peephole the red dot dims. That's easy to see with bottom third cowitness.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer flip down rear and pinned front with ACOG.

As rugged and tough as the ACOG is, there's very little chance you'll ever need the BUIS, but it's still nice to know they're there.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

mine has the standard A2 front fixed sight and the rear is mounted in the A2 handle. when i use the scope it is above the sights so there isn't a problem using the fixed sights. i agree, that for this type of firearm, having fixed sights as a backup or even primary is important.