SHTF firearms

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by tenntyrant, May 11, 2012.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Here is what I have so far I want to add to it but what should I get next? I'm thinking 12 gauge or deer rifle 30 30, what are your suggestions?
    I have
    G17
    G19
    M6a2
    10/22

image-25994456.jpg

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

a nice 12 gauge would round out that nice collection.

3. crgm101

crgm101 New Member

I have been planning this for a while and went with a sks descent price common ammo and good 100 yard deer rifle I already picked up the 22 long rifle mossberg plinkster and a ruger sr9 9mm want another 9mm then maybe a wasr10 ak since it uses 7.32x39 as well. I looked over 30 30 and 30 06 and for practice the 30 30 is cheaper for practice. But I am new to forum and shooting just trying to participate in some forums.

4. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Tenntyrant,

You obviously have your pistol and small game needs covered. Since you need a medium game-taker if you plan to survive off the land, the question becomes what is the territory like where you will hunt? 30-30 is a great brush gun, and with a scope will do 350 yards no problem. The round is also good through brush. However, a shotgun can cover these shots equally well out to 250 yards with a slug and give you bird-taking capabilities as well as buckshot for close deer and defense. So if you're going to add only one gun, I'd say a good-quality shotgun. If your game is farther away, say 400 yards plus, consider a scoped hunting rifle, but this is based on your terrain near your bunker.

5. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Defenitly a 12ga, i got my mossberg persuader with a pistol grip and the guy sold me a butt stock for $15 and only paid $300 for it. And i got a wasr10 a few months ago for a good price also. I found some surplus ammo for the wasr 10 on sportsmans guide, 1900 rounds for $200 shipped to my door. And picked up a sealed ammo tin of steel cased ammo for $150 with i believe 770 rounds from a local gun show for a storage supply. And 12ga im still looking for a good deal on shells for that. Ive been just buying a few boxes of buck shot and slugs from walmart everytime i go there. And bought some bird shot because it was on sale for 100 shells of #6 for $18 + tax.

Attached Files:

6. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I have the pistol grip as well in a 12 gauge and .410. The slugs for the 12 are ridiculously priced at a dollar a piece. I have not bought a stock for mine yet, but need to. It has a lot of kick. I love shooting the .410.

7. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Around me i can get a box of 15 slugs for $8 and buck shot is around $4 for a box of five.

8. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Nice start, Tenn.

To what you have now, most people would add some kind of shotgun.

Then it looks like you would be all set.

Here is a photo of my recommendation on that -- something in high capacity & no sport plug.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  9. crgm101

crgm101 New Member

Seems like a shotgun is the route to go would you guys suggest a mossberg 500?

10. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Crgm101,

It sounds like you are doing good in your SHTF arsenal! While multiple weapons that use the same ammo are a good idea because they can share, they also typically don't let you diversify, i.e. rifles firing the same cartridge can only be used to take medium game at range. If you already have an SKS, a .22 rifle and a pistol, you may wish to consider a shotgun for taking fowl or heavy brush hunting. Will also take small game with smaller shot, so it becomes a great all-around game getter and defender against multiple attackers.

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Yes on the 500. You could put a poly-choke on an 18-1/2" barrel or an original 590 (not A1) 20" like me or buy the Field/Security combo for flexibility.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  12. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

What store do you find 15 slugs for $8? Hopefully it's a store that is by my house as well.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Last time I bought rifled slugs (which was probably around hunting season 2009) I was happy to be able to by a few Remington 15-round value packs from Walmart for $9.75 each OTD. It was relatively plentiful -- back then, during year-one of The First Obama Gun & Ammo Run, buckshot was just not to be found on the shelves 'round here.

14. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I'm going to parrot everyone else and tell you to get a nice 12 gauge such as a mossberg 500.

15. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

mossberd pump 500 here also its old but works dam good

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I've got a 590a1. I chose the tank (it is really heavy!) because of the parkerized finish. I won't be huffing it anywhere as far as I can tell, but I wouldn't want to. It is pretty heavy. The 590 is also great, but blued is not my fav.

17. m72law

m72law New Member

the cheapest 12ga. shells i have found are @ Aimsurplus.com..nobel sport 00buck 10rds $6.25 a box.of course shipping is extra,but everytime i place an order (weekly) it doesnt matter what im buying,i'll also buy a few boxes of the 00bucks;)

cheaperthandirt has RIO royal brand??:confused:,12ga 00buck a 250rd case for 99.79 im not sure how good they are? but hey,@ 2.50 per 5 rounds is a pretty good deal for buck shot.reminds me of the wolf brand slugs or 00buck prices a few years back. 2 dollars a box;)

18. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

Love my 30/30 for hunting medium game, a good 12 ga is a must for small game but slugs aren't my first choice for deer/elk. My Model '92 .38/.357 would always be my backup hunting rifle, i've taken many deer with it and it is the same caliber as my handgun which is handy. My choice of shotgun is a tossup, I own both a Remington 870 and a Winchester 1200 and both take 3" shells.

19. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

I added a shotgun to my arsenal as you all suggested. I ended up getting a Mossberg 12 gauge 835 tac turkey I also have a improved cylinder choke ordered for it for home defense use. Need to know what shells to stock up on?
    image-1082821768.jpg