SHTF Bugout Locations

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Feastiewinkle, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Feastiewinkle

Feastiewinkle New Member

I was just curious where would everyone venture off to were the S to HTF?

Some people may have bug-out vehicles that are prepared for this to get them there, but I am curious about locations.

2. sixgunner

sixgunner New Member

I have been giving this some thought lately and I do not have a good answer. I guess depending on what/how bad I would take my wife and head to my parents small house, small town, 1/2 acre. Not the best but it is a good place to start from.

3. bkt

bkt New Member

If the S were to HTF and it looked to be a long-term issue and I was forced to leave my home, my family and several friends and their families would probably head to western Pennsylvania or the Adirondack state park depending on circumstances.

If I'm not forced to leave my home, I'll stay put. I have a freshwater spring in the back yard and no shortage of deer, wild turkey and other critters. Firewood is plentiful, too. It'd be stupid to leave if I didn't need to.

4. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I'd probably have to stay put. I really have no other place to go, the rural areas are very primitive. The house is on higher ground than the surrounding area if flooding was a problem. Weather related trouble would strand me, but we'd have enough time to stockpile.

Roving gangs or civil unrest would make me stay home for sure. Just arm all members of the house. One good reason to own long range or "sniper" rifles.

5. Taxpayer

Taxpayer New Member

We already moved into ours. IT's located on a small body of water in a mostly rural area of Texas. several miles down a dirt road. It took a little getting used to but we manage.

6. SabreArms

SabreArms New Member

My easiest answer would be away from the issue depending on the circumstances. I have had this discussion with my wife and she thinks I am a moron. She is a big city Police Officer so more than likely she will have to go into work. I would grab the kids and head somewhere hoping to meet her again. As far as location I have no idea because this area could be instantly volatile in all directions. I would just have to rely on her to contact my folks on the east coast so we could pass information on to each other.

I keep telling her not to let the gas tank drop below half but she doesn't buy it.

7. FALPhil

FALPhil New Member

Millions of people you never met will insist on being your friend when the scenario happens. Now you need to have a plan to keep what you have.

8. Taxpayer

Taxpayer New Member

We do sort of. Only a handful of people know where this place is, and to give you an idea of the remoteness of it, everybody who has seen it asks me the same thing; "How did you ever find this place?". :)

My wife and I have discussed it, and we keep firearms in the car, and we have several thousands rounds of ammo and other firearms in the house in a safe. It would seem that in a SHTF situation, force would be all an agressor would be deterred with.

I am smart enough to know that a firearm is not an automatic "Save me" device, but it is all we have and as stated, in the SHTF thing, deadly force is all you have. If people are bent on taking your stuff, with no law around, that is your last best hope of staying alive and keeping your things. Human nature is a terrible thing sometimes.

9. bkt

bkt New Member

How far would you go to protect your family? It stands to reason that if we're willing to use deadly force to defend our stuff, there will be others willing to use deadly force to take it away from us to help their own loved ones.

10. Taxpayer

Taxpayer New Member

Well, I don't know what I would actually do, but I think in that situation, I would go all the way. If we die, we die. But, (and it's a big but ;)) I'd bet that in the unlikely event that my little old lady and me were confronted on our own place, once the first few .308 rounds and 7.62x39 rounds find their mark, some of those looters will seek easier pickings. If not, then we'll die. It's that simple. We will have had the satisfactioin of taking some of them with us.

11. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

As with so many of these kinds of questions, it depends.

Are we (me & wife) together, or apart? Am I at home? Is she at home? Can we communicate? Is the cell phone system down? Our kids are grown and live in another city, but within easy driving distance, if the roads are open.

Is the Ship Hitting The Sand weather related? Civil unrest? Earthquake? Vulcano? (We live near Mt. St. Helens.) Flood? (We live on a flood plain of the Columbia River and are okay as long as the Bonneville Dam holds :eek: .)

Lots of IF's. We can only be so prepared, and trust our good judgement and wits to get us through with the survival gear we are packing at the time. In an ideal situation we would both be home and have access to all our stuff, but we can't count on that happening. Food for thought.

Main issue; Survival.
    Major issue; Gathering with family.
    Minor issue; Jobs and replacing "stuff.".

12. AR Hammer

AR Hammer New Member

Getting on my sail boat and heading to sea.

I'll find some place that the 'Sh!t' didn't hit the fan, learn a new language, meet some new people and see what the women look like!

13. vince99

vince99 New Member

Inlaws farm, Minnesota river valley about 45 mins from Sout Dakota....

14. nappie5

nappie5 New Member

Yeah, we have given this one some thought. We are entirely too close to DC for comfort, but at least we are on the "right" side. If (when) SHTF and my husband and I aren't home, the kids have instructions on what to load in whatever car is home, and head west. My in-laws own several pieces of property in the Shenandoah Valley snugged up tight against West Virginia, and we can be right cozy over there with their built in arsenal plus what we bring with us.
    We periodically rehearse the kids on what to do and when, and the rule is if in doubt, leave town. The worst that'll happen is you'll get to visit Grandmom!

15. glockfire

glockfire New Member

Pole Hill, estes Colorado. I camp there alot, you have to rock crawl in a capapable 4x4 to get up, only 1 road up and down, plenty of wildlife, and the top is a rock type fortress that would enable me to defend myself from attackers and the environment. Ive camped there for 7 days once and could do it for months.

16. illbfrank

illbfrank New Member

I have 6 acres with a spring, a Berkey Light and sport bottles, a root cellar/bank house that is difficult to find at best, and it is stocked to capacity. Probably 3 years food supply now. I would assist friends and neighbors, but most are as ready as we are. My property is on the top of the mountain. We are so far out in the woods, we have to head toward town to go hunting, ya know? We are near the Blue Ridge Parkway. We know the woods very intimately. Eric Rudolph used to drive nails on one of my crews, so that should give you an idea of the kind of woodsmen we are in general. While I don;t share his philosophy on ways to be politically active, I do share his love of these mountains. One should have several caches for food, survival equipment, tools of resistance, etc. I hope for a peaceful revolution as I am Christian, however, that is not in my control, so we will go with whatever others decide for us. I am not afraid to die as I have done so once already and it was a very positive and good thing. I am glad to have returned to finish raising my kids and grandkids though. I just hope that where you are, there are many others of like mind so that you can form units for effectiveness. I hope to fly under the radar, but am ready for a RED DAWN scenario if that comes as well.

MOLON LABE

17. RED

RED New Member

It took years but....

... I will stay put just about regardless of the situation. I do not have to worry about floods, hurricanes, earthquakes etc.

I have 60 acres that are "outback" behind every thing. I have a well stocked pond, unlimited wood, a propane fired generator and a 400' deep well that produces 15 GPM of really good water. With what I have on hand we can live for weeks with no assistance. The beautiful thing about it is there are only a handful of folks even know we are here and if you don't know where "here" is you probably won't find it.

Like the other poster, everybody says how in the world did you ever find this place.:)

18. gnoll

gnoll New Member

read Bad Times Primer by CG Cobb