Shtf ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lbwar15, May 9, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

This is most likely already covered but here it is agin. What is the best ammo to stock up on for shtf without braking the bank?

Specifically for
    .22lr
    30-30
    30-06
    .223 or 5.56
    12ga (OO and slug)

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I forgot .45apc and .9mm

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Come on anybody?

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would stock up on everything I have a gun for. Extra .22 and .223 in the event I could trade them for things being the most used calibers.

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I mean what brand of ammo should I buy. That is cheep but good.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Common military ammo. It will be the most readily available everywhere, and your guns should be sighted for it.

Military surplus, Rem. Win., Fed., S&B, Wolf, IMI, Speer, Hornady.

.30-30, .30-06, .22LR, .38spec, and .357 mag are always in demand and will be great for trading. 12 and 20 GA #6 and #7 1/2, and buckshot and slugs.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

What ever your gun will shoot , dont just concentrate on a certain brand in a SHTF scenerio your gun better be able to shoot what ever you try to put down the pipe

8. vincent

vincent New Member

Not sure where you live but for 12 ga and .22 I've had great success with the Federal brand from Wal-Mart. 12ga is $20 for a case of 100 bird shot, .22 is $20 for the bulk pack of 550.

Most mil-surp ammo is inexpensive, depending on what you're shooting. I.E. 7.62x54r is $75-$85 for a can of 440.

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

It's the same hear in mobile. I just wish Walmart had a bigger variety and stocked more. I have a discount card there. Every time I go in there the might have 1 box of Tula as far as 223

10. tri70

tri70 New Member

I handload and have a good amount in ammo cans but if I was on foot a brick or 2 of 22LR would be the easiest to move with. If was held up in my house i'm good. If I was in my vehicle, a range bag of a few calibers will work.

11. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

I watch the sales,,,and even the internet sellers prices vary quite a bit from month to month. When I find a good price, then I buy whatever is a good buy. For example, recently Ammoman had .223 on sale for $.21 a round. It was imported, but it runs fine in my rifles. People say its dirty,,,,so what? Do you clean your gun when you are finished? I got 5000 rounds of 62 gr HP on that sale. I just bought a case of 9mm at 18c. When I can buy this ammo at 20c a round, I cant afford to reload it. Also, I dont even pick up the empties. My Mini 14 scatters them all over anyway, so I just leave them out there 25 ft where they fall. All my rifles will bust a grapefruit at 100 yards from the shoulder with this ammo.

For my hunting ammo, I load my own. I expect it to shoot MOA. But for street sweeping, the imported stuff works just fine. I have never had a failure to feed or problem with accuracy with imported ammo, and I have shot thousands of rounds of it.

This price works out to be about $4 a box of 20, or $10 a box of 50. You cant match that price in a local store.

12. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I was trying to stock pile ammo but I just keep shooting it.. I think I am addicted.. I just started reloading.. it helps but I still shoot it all

13. billt

billt New Member

If cost is the primary concern I would look hard at these 4:

1). Federal Champion from Wal-Mart.

2.) PMC

3.) Seller & Bellot

4.) Mag-Tech

All 4 are cost effective and run well. Just be advised if you reload, the brass cases used in the Federal Champion in .45 ACP come with small pistol primers, not large ones like everyone else. Seller & Bellot go crazy with primer sealer, especially on their 9 MM 115 gr. FMJ ammunition. But it's not a problem. If you shoot a lot of it you'll find it transfers off on to the bolt or slide face. Hoppes #9 on a rag removes it quick and easy.

14. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Imo the best ammo to stock pile for shtf would be good ole 22lr. If the **** ever does really hit than normal goods will become currency, those green bills will be good for nothing but starting fires. Almost every household has a 22lr, not so good for defense but would be great to hunt small game for food.

Next on the list would be your primary long gun and side arm calibers what ever they may be for you. Usaully .223 and 9,40 or 45..

I have started stocking components like primers powder and bullets as much as ammo, this being an election year the shelves will be bare in the coming months and well into the new year.. So if you like to shoot or just pick up ammo you better be doing it now :eek:

Last edited: May 28, 2012