Show off those refinished guns!!

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by SneakyPotato, Aug 25, 2011.

1. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

while you are filling it out make sure you fill one out about Fedor Tokarev, who designed the pistol without a safety. you can send it to the TULA ARMS MUSEUM. I'm sure they will be happy to hear from you:p

BillDeShivs and Shopfox like this.
  2. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

You make a very good point concerning the firearm outliving the owner(s). Not everyone has the sort of "what if" type conscience, like most good folks do.

3. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

There are thousands of Tokarev pistols out there without safeties (that's how they were designed and made), so there is no difference in one that had a safety installed and then removed.

W.T. Sherman likes this.
  4. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Au contraire. Remove one, have it shoot someone, and then ask a prosecutor the difference.
    Or more to the point, have him explain the difference to you.

5. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

Imagine a vehicle designed and built with a safety deficiency - like no seat belts. The car gets recalled, and seat belts get installed.

Your argument is basically: it's ok to remove the good, functional retrofitted seat belts, because the original designers didn't see it as necessary to install them.

It's akin to having a safety recall on a dangerous product, having the repair done, then someone undoing the correction.

In food safety, it would be like having a recall of Romaine lettuce, collecting the contaminated product, then reselling the contaminated product because, "that's how the farmers saw fit to grow and harvest it." I disagree with that line of thought.

Going one step further, I believe the action is immoral, and the gunsmith should be held partially liable for any accidental death that arises from the safeties removal.

Hmmm... I need more coffee and time to reflect. My gut feeling is there's a difference in degree to weakening a safety system versus removing a safety system.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  6. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

[​IMG]

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

with that kind of "logic" then you be all for suing and placing the liability on gun manufacturers because their product was used in killing people

BillDeShivs likes this.
  8. Shopfox

It does not follow that because I'm against gunsmiths removing safeties, I am in favor of suing gun manufacturers.

Using the romaine lettuce example: there is a difference between 1 person getting sick accidentally and a lawsuit to the farmer, and someone knowingly selling recalled lettuce, and a resulting lawsuit against the reseller.

Because I support a lawsuit against the reseller, does not mean I would support a lawsuit against the farmer.

Bringing it back to the topic, I don't support lawsuits against gun manufacturers. I would support lawsuits against gunsmiths that would knowingly, and willingly, make firearms less safe.

9. freefall

If I cut the cable on my emergency brake and sell the truck to another who then kills someone with it because the e-brake doesn't work do I have any liability?
    Elucidate, WTS.

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. Shopfox

Did you cut it with the intent of causing an accident? Did you disclose to the receiver the brakes were compromised? Was the cut an accident or intentional? Is the damaged brake cable plainly visible, or intentionally concealed?

If my wife cut my brake lines with the intent to off me, and I die... that's akin to premeditated murder.

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

My SMLE Mk3 No.1 before I pulled it apart. This happened back around 2011/12 .303-1.jpg

Then I put it into a 20 litre drum of boiling water to get the oil and accumulated gunk out of it.
    The stuff that boiled out of the wood work would've made the EXXON VALDEZ oil spill look like a mop up of some engine oil from an oil leak in an engine it was something you'd see in a Hollywood satanic movie.
    The colour of the original wood came out

.303 wood.jpg

.303-1.jpg

.303-11.jpg

.303 wood.jpg

Then a mate stained the wood and it came up like a new rifle.

.303-8.jpg

SMLE2.jpg

This is some of the gunk that came out of the barrel which I thought had basically bugger all rifling at the end of the barrel but the mate spent a lot of time scrubbing the barrel out and "found" rifling.

.303-9.jpg

.303-10.jpg

12. freefall

I cut it because it wanted to stick if I applied the brake. The rest is buyer beware, just like me removing the safety from my Tokarev.
    I'm just trying to follow thought processes here.

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

Nice job on the Enfield!

14. TINCANBANDIT

crash11049, Rifling82 and OLD Ron like this.
  15. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Here is a photo of my Winchester 12 gauge 1911 shotgun that I refinished. Cold blued the metal and cleaned up the stock. This was Winchesters first autoloading shotgun. Over a 100 years old. DSCN0603.JPG DSCN0599.JPG

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    crash11049, OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  16. Warnberg

Warnberg New Member

IMG_0095.jpg IMG_4673.jpg IMG_4727.jpg IMG_4295.JPG Some of our work examples

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  17. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Those links don't let you see the examples .
    :(

18. Warnberg

Warnberg New Member

Thanks for the heads up, they show on my end.. let me see if I can fix it.

19. TINCANBANDIT

Your links don't work

In the mean time, here is a Savage model 325A that I bought for $10, I built it into a post-apocalyptic gun first, then used a spare stock to build a thumbhole camo stock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blog post links showing how I modified the stock

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-savage-stevens-325a-project-phase.html

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-savage-stevens-325a-project-phase_11.html

https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-savage-stevens-325a-project-phase_19.html

crash11049, primer1 and OLD Ron like this.