Shouldering Rifle

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by jgand72, May 2, 2011.

1. jgand72

jgand72 New Member

Hey guys, I have a question about shouldering a rifle/shotgun. Now, when I was at the ranger, I realized I don't exactly shoulder my rifle, I kind of put the butt against my outer chest. I also have a long 12 gauge, which I also put on my outer chest. Now, when I shot the 12 gauge, I had some problems with the stock slipping.

I can't really find a shoulder pocket to put the butt end against. I think it might be because I have a big chest. Anyone have any tips/advice? :rolleyes:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Odds are you may be tending to squarely face your target. Try this- (for right handers) Face target, and then pivot 45 degrees to your right. Spread your feet about shoulder width apart. Now, WITHOUT MOVING YOUR FEET- turn your body back towards target. (For those that have had the attentions of a Drill Sgt, you are making a half left face) Pocket becomes more apparent when angle of arm to chest is less than 90 degrees. You NOW also have right foot about a half step behind the left, meaning your weight is evenly balanced.

I watch a LOT of shooters stand facing target squarely, feet side by side, and when you raise rifle or pistol, NOW your shoulders have moved back, hips forward to balance weight of arms, and you are off balance.

If you raise right arm, hold it out at 90 to the front, take left hand, feel for pocket, and while holding left hand there, move extended right hand to the left- feel the pocket increase?

3. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Great advice from C3. Stance is everything when shouldering a long gun. You can do it with your feet placed anywhere, but it won't be comfortable, locked in, or as stable.

4. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

great advice c3

but personally when shooting a shotgun, I was told to be square to your target...also with moving and shooting drills its difficult to walk like a crab..

But if you are bench shooting or patterning a shotgun, yea... find a comfortable angle to the target and distribute that weight

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words-

Shooting Positions

Please note that the shooter is all positions has his body at an angle to the target.