Shouldering a sig arm brace?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by beastmode986, Feb 25, 2014.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

After doing some research I came to the conclusion it is legal to shoulder the sig arm brace. Say I bought this arm brace and was shouldering it on a 11.5'' barrel ar15. Do you guys think someone would question me at the range? Would it be smart to keep the letter from the atf to sig printed out and in the car? Whats your guys opinions on this? I am trying to what size upper to get? This seems like it would be more fun to shoot but less practical.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well of my best understanding the brace is for a pistol AR. at your age, you can't legally purchase a pistol or any lower to begin with. and you have to be 18 to purchase any long gun to begin with, 21 for pistols and recievers.

depending on the state you live in, you may not even be able to be in possession of a pistol without a parent or gaurdian around supervising. need to check your states laws.

3. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

What kind of research did you do? I am 99% sure it is illegal to shoulder it as insane as that is.

Molon Labe

4. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Lol I know this. My dad is purchasing the the lower and what not. Its not for me but that changes when I am 18 or in this case 21.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the answer wasn't totally directed at you. there are others here that are under the age of 18 and 21, plus when others are giving advice, it helps for them to know the age of the person they are giving advice to. age makes a huge difference as does location when answers are given.

6. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Oh yeah, I get what you mean.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upusknf6sA0[/ame]

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/06/rabbi/gear-review-sig-sb15-pistol-stabilizing-brace/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ahY9zgCDU[/ame]
    He talks about it in the description. I also read the atf letter.

Plus there is plenty of videos showing people shouldering it and I have not heard about the atf complaining about it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-BVdUtDwAs[/ame]

Keep in mind I drew my own conclusions, you can draw yours.

7. msup752

msup752 New Member

The ATF classifies weapons and not how they are used. The brace is designed to assist firing a pistol so it does not change the classification of the firearm.
    Using the brace to fire from the shoulder is not using the product as it was intended but not illegal that I am aware of.
    If it turns out lots of people do use it to shoulder fire AR pistols, then the ATF can easily reverse their decision and these will all be illegal SBR's. So don't encourage them as I may want one someday!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

As above the atf doesn't care if you put the thing to your nose and shoot it.

There aren't idiots in the atf running the approval proccess even if an idiot is running the agency itself.

The letter itself is worth exactly the ammount of value as the ink and paper its made of in court of law. It doesn't mean just because its legal now it won't be illegal later. Just ask the residents of newyark how they are enjoying their ar15's...

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

People already shoulder bare buffer tubes. No real difference, if the part is considered an arm brace and not a stock.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And Connecticut. With letters now sent out for confiscation, and letters for registration that were received late now being held as possible evidence of possession of an "assault" weapon or "high capacity" magazine that was not registered by the deadline.

11. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Dont wanna derail my own thread but How is that not big news? I haven't heard about this until just now. I thought youtube would be filling up with people saying how they support the non compliance. Or maybe im not looking in the right place.

12. Gunsnob

Gunsnob New Member

My LGS says it's illegal to shoulder an AR pistol. He call people out at the range when he sees someone doing that.s

13. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I have a Sig brace on my AR pistol and I really love it. Especially for HD purposes. The ATF letter stating that it was in compliance was in the box when I purchased it. .

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A properly set up sling is more effective than a buffer tube, and totally legal. The rules are funny. You can't attach a foregrip, but you can attach a flashlight mount and grab it all you want.

I am still skeptical about the braced "pistol". Forget the draw. One needs to carry it either braced or at least over the shoulder. I don't know if it has made any inroads in LE.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  15. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

It's fun to shoot isn't it? I won't say how I do or don't hold mine! :D
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393651900.516410.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393651923.414440.jpg

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Looking into this for some Future items in the 9.5"-11.5" range.....

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I have not shot a braced AR pistol, but I believe it is fun. It is about fun. SIG has advertised it picturing SWAT types in full gear. It looked like they were selling It to LE. Maybe I took it too literally.

18. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

TG: been meaning to tell you that I like that color. Very eye catching. We'll have to talk after I finish the" Mods " to my Mossberg 702...