Shoulder pain from concealed carry?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jackandcoke, May 16, 2011.

1. jackandcoke

jackandcoke New Member

So I just spent my first full day carrying concealed, and my shoulder on my gun side hurts like I spent the entire day throwing a football. I'm wondering if I've been keeping my should tense since I'm not used to carrying. Anyone else have this problem when they started carrying, and any recommendations for a solution?

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

What and how are you carrying?

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Suck it up Nancy ... rub some dirt on it! ;)

4. jackandcoke

jackandcoke New Member

Taurus 24/7, IWB at about 4:00. Right now it's just being held up by my belt, waiting on a SuperTuck I ordered.

5. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

lmfao!!! Good one.

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Relax and act like it aint there. People can tell your packing by the way you walking and holding yourself.

7. WDB

WDB New Member

Wow just Wow.
    Your shoulder hurts when your packing IWB. Easy advice is put it back in your purse. Better advice is put it back in the safe until you get some training. Clearly while you want to carry a firearm you have no training with a firearm. It's an adjustment for most but you are the first that said it hurt no where close to where they carry. Many have issues with IWB digging in when they set. If you need to use the firearm and that arm felt like you were thowing a football all day how effective do you think you would be? Slow to draw and off target would be my guess. Get some training.

I have to ask after re reading your post, your waiting on a supper tuck ordered....do you have a holster at all or just carrying mex (gun tucked in your belt)? If packing with out a holster IWB might make sense why your shoulder hurt, you got to keep holding on to the firearm so it doesn't fall out. again Wow just Wow.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Double check your rig for fit.
    As Clint says "Carrying is not to be comfortable, but comforting."

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Might be tugging down, and the result of that constant tug might be a pulled muscle, as that part of the anatomy is basically connected like a tight sinew. :)

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

There is no anatomical connected muscle structure that would relate your shoulder pain to your hip where you are carrying that gun. Now, if you spent the day practice drawing that gun from that holster....the kinetics involved there, could be the result of your shoulder pain. ;)

11. hogrider

hogrider New Member

You might also consider going to a shoulder rig. I can't carry a gun strong side due a bad back and hip. I can carry using a shoulder because the weight is distributed across a larger area. Works for me.

12. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Your probably unknowingly 'guarding' your pistol. Keeping my arm tense all day would make my shoulder hurt, too.

Attached Files:

13. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I can't give any better advice than has already been given. These guys know their stuff.

I would just like to add that it also sounds to me like you're keeping your arm tense.
    It has already been said, but people notice things like that.

If you can't carry like that without keeping your arm tense then something is wrong.
    You either need a better holster, or position, training, at home practice, etc.

14. HKSlinger

HKSlinger New Member

Very good......Dr. Even! :p

15. jackandcoke

jackandcoke New Member

I'm pretty sure it's just from keeping my arm tense since I'm not used to carrying a loaded weapon on me. What training can you guys recommend other than just continuing to carry? Also, it's not very encouraging being told to "put my gun back in my purse" when I thought this forum was full of helpful people.

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Oh believe me, there are plenty of helpful people on here. There are also plenty of people on here who have a very quick smart-a$$ remark when the opportunity presents itself. Don't take it personally. Think of it more as a friendly jab in the locker room.

17. danf_fl

Jack, is this a shoulder rig, IWB, OWB, SOB, cross-draw, ankle, etc....?

I guess a shoulder rig. Now what brand? Uncle Mike's with the nylon holster and straps or an all leather rig?

My shoulder carry rig cost me about $300.00 and was fitted. I do not have any problems. I have evenly distributed weight when loaded.

More information on your part would be nice to know.

18. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

Shoulder Pain is NOT from Carrying a Taurus 24/7

I thought you were going to say you were carrying a Taurus Judge in a shoulder holster.....a Taurus 24/7 in an IWB. I'd say the pain in your shoulder isn't from carrying the gun. I've been carrying everything from steel frame 1911s to a Glock 23 in an IWB for better than 20 years and have never had any shoulder pain from it.

19. jackandcoke

jackandcoke New Member

I'm currently carrying IWB "mexican style" until my holster arrives. The gun seems to be stay in place much better than I expected like this. I did spend about 3 hours at the range today with it in an Blackhawk Serpa holster, and the weight doesn't seem to cause any issues, so I'm almost positive that when I'm carrying IWB, I'm just not relaxed because carrying in public is completely new to me.

20. danf_fl

Please don't do that with a Glock or any other that relies on the safety between your ears and a do-hickey on the trigger.

One sided carry will put strain on your posture. And that will cause you obvious pain after a while.

Last edited: May 16, 2011