Shoulder Holster

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by wreck1819, Jun 23, 2011.

1. wreck1819

wreck1819 New Member

So I've been looking around for a shoulder holster to CC my Springfield GI but haven't found many that would work since I'm too skinny for most horizontals. Do any of you have any suggestions on some that are not to expensive.
    Oh and does anybody know what brand this one is it looks like it might work, but i couldn't find a name...

Attached Files:

2. hogrider

hogrider New Member

It looks like a Galco to me.

3. Wambli

Wambli Member

That does look like a Galco (they used to call it the Miami Vice special years ago). I dislike shoulder holsters, because I find them too slow to deploy. Most of the horizontals will be sweeping everyone behind you with the muzzle of your gun as you move around all day (does not bother many but it makes me uneasy). That one looks like the muzzle would carry pointing into your armpit so I would pass on that completely.

Leather shoulder rigs are expensive by nature. Uncle Mikes makes a nylon one for not a lot of money ($50). Maybe it'll work for you.
    Uncle Mike's - Sidekick Cross-Harness Shoulder Holsters

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Some good thoughts about shoulder holsters.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0bQX8LdjDA]YouTube - ‪Lasering Issues with Shoulder Holsters‬‏[/ame]

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Or a Jackass rig maybe?

I've learned the hard way with holsters that you get what you pay for. If you want a shoulder holster, I'd urge you to save a little and not skimp.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Wreck

It is a Galco! I have one identical to it! It is a good rig!
    Olympus is also correct. Jackass also made a rig that also looks the same.

7. freefall

freefall New Member

Jackass became Galco. I forget if the company sold or if the owner just changed the name. That is a Galco Miami Classic. Don't buy an Uncle Mikes.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  8. WDB

WDB New Member

I CC a Galco shoulder rig when I can (winter cloths). Get the tie downs (ties the holster to the belt). Otherwise you will not be able draw the pistol with one hand. Uncle mikes holsters are exactly what you pay for, lots of movement/shifting, one holster fits too many. On a budget I expect it would work sort of.

9. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

I used to have a shoulder rig for a Browning High Power. I think it was an Uncle Mikes, but don't sharply remember.
    Unlike the one you show, mine had a belt loop on the holster that anchored it.
    All in all, I found it very fast to deploy the weapon. Faster than any of my belt style CCW holsters.
    It has to work for you. Your dress style, your climate. Can't be wearing some bulky jacket in the summer heat.
    I have always used neatsfoot oil on my leather as well. Makes it very pliable and conforming.
    YMMV

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've got a DeSantis shoulder rig for my 2.5" Model 66 and it's okay, I just wish it came with belt stabilizers as it tends to slide over on the heavy side.

11. wreck1819

wreck1819 New Member

well after going to a gun store with my pistol and trying a bunch on i realized that nearly all of them were over 100 bucks, so.... I decided to make my own in process now and will post pics.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yes. It's a Galco Jackass Shoulder Rig.

That is the one I wear after years of trying just about everything out there. It is the best one out there in my opinion. I did spring for the wider shoulder straps though, a wise upgrade.

When you see them on a TV show, as you often will, they always have the thin straps which means the actor has never carried a loaded weapon & two mags for a day of travel or protection post. :cool:

Here's a confirming photo.

13. freefall

freefall New Member

Wreck, sent you a PM. I'll bump some holster pics I've got in the DIY section, you can see if you want to listen to me or not.

14. wreck1819

wreck1819 New Member

so like i promised here is a pic of the finished rig, i couldn't find enough matching suede long enough so that's the reason for the different color straps, and the stitching looks like a drunk did it :rolleyes: but it's really comfortable and works great, thanks to the help of yall and freefall, appreciate it.

Attached Files:

15. freefall

freefall New Member

Looking good Wreck! Ook ook! Can't see how you attached the front strap to the holster? What kind of leather did you use for the holster? Looks kind of crinkly. Nice effect. The x piece in the back looks great, much better than my erratic butterfly. Well struck sir, very well struck.

16. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Damn, wreck1819 that looks good. Have you thought about dyeing the leather to match? even if you do not it still looks good. Congrats. What did you end up spending on your rig?

17. freefall

freefall New Member

I can tell you that mine cost about $10-12 in actual cash outlay and about 4-6 hours of fabrication, not counting the 48 hrs I let the leather dry after forming. And a couple hours after gluing.

18. wreck1819

wreck1819 New Member

Freefall- It was just some scraps from hobby lobby, the crinkly effect came in because the leather was originally to thin so i sewed in some support strips, that's what i used to make the retaining strap, and when i soaked it that just happened, all the other pieces were attached using some rivets and D rings except the one on the top of the gun it was sewn in.

Phelenwolf- overall it cost me about $30 but that was because i bought a leather hole punch (which was a complete POS broke on the first hole attempted), snap set, and glue which those three alone where a bit over $15. Actuall leather cost was $10

19. freefall

freefall New Member

Ah,yeah, I didn't factor in tool cost, I just bought a $95 snap setter.