Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who've used quality shoulder holsters for your sidearms, I would be interested to know your thoughts.

Questions:

1. Got suggestions on good-quality, comfortable shoulder holsters to consider?

2. If you had your druthers, which shoulder holster would you choose ... and why?

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
Galco Miami CLassic.
I've used several and I dont have the CLassic now. But it is honestly head and shoulders above everything else if you going to wear it for long periods.
Little pricier too

I have a Tauga at the moment and wear it when need arises for hours at a time but I had to do quite a bit of modifying it to make it comfortable and reliable as far as the fasteners go.

·
Banned
13,221 Posts
Shoulder holsters don't have much use in Florida where don't often wear a jacket. I have several but rarely use one. I have several of the WWII era shoulder holsters for revolvers and 1911s. I don't find them comfortable or particularly functional. Give me a good IWB and I am happy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
At work I used a shoulder holster when my back was acting up.. The mini classic is a good setup , once the straps are set up , the most important thing is the holster . The size and weight of the weapon , if it's attached to your belt all adds to the comfort level . If it feels like a flack jacket your probably going to leave it hanging in the safe. It's all having it set up for you and getting use to wearing it day in and out. I mostly use IWB appendix or 4 o'clock OWB , also just as important finding the right holster angle and height. Nothing's simple when it comes to carrying a deadly weapon. Be Safe out there.

·
Registered
988 Posts
A properly adjusted quallity shoulder holster like the miami clasic does not need the tie downs to remain in place.

I even finally got my Tauga, hardly on the level of the Miami classic adjusted until it is comfortable and remains secure while bending etc without the tie downs.

Some like belt ties , others dont, but they arent a nesscessity.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you are in a car all day and wearing a suit jacket because the bosses said so, then the shoulder holster is a lot easier on your back than a belt rig pushing your kidneys for 10 hours of driving. But with a large gun on one side and handcuffs or spare ammo on the other side, and you are doing a lot of walking around, your shoulders feel it the next morning.
In a tussle with a suspect the shoulder holster gives the suspect much more opportunity to grab your weapon than does a weapon carried behind your hip.
Running and jumping tests the retention catch of your shoulder holster. I used to use a comfortable rig by Cobray, but with several weapons (Sig 228, 1911, and Ruger Service Six (the rig was modular and each had their own holster)) I found the as bought set up insuffient when it came to retention while vaulting fences, etc. The solution for all of those holsters was to add a second snap. I had no more gun dropping out or sliding issues after that 2nd snap was added.
I should note one of my old agencies had a requirement issued by the General Counsel that each new holster type had to both be approved by our armorer, and the intended wearer had to qualify PPC with it being while worn in the fashion intended. Back then for reasons of range safety there were a lot of Police ranges where shoulder or ankle, belly band, thigh, etc. holsters were not permitted. Finding or scheduling the PPC qualification test was sometimes fun.
A lot of the answer depends on what you will be doing that day and what is anticipated. Driving a car 300 miles to hand deliver a package, executing search and arrest warrants, going to the supermarket with the kids, carrying a bag of money down the street and through a crowd as an armored car guard (you want a belt rig with a secure firearms retention), rappelling off a roof, greeting visitors as an armed receptionist, going deep undercover while armed, etc. There is no always correct method of carry.

·
Supporting Member
14,392 Posts
When I was assigned to the Detective Division I wore a GALCO Shoulder Holster sometimes when I had a jacket on. It hid the larger framed Sig 220 very well. It also had two Mag Pouches on it as well!

Reactions: superc
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.