Shoulda shot the coyote

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Win73, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Win73

Win73 Member

I was muzzleloader deer hunting this morning (opening day). I had seen eight deer but none in range. Then a coyote came out of the brush at about 80 or 90 yards. He gave me a standing broadside shot but I didn't take it. I was still hoping to get a shot at a deer. I even told myself that with that coyote roaming around I probably wouldn't see any more deer. But hope springs eternal. So I let him go. Sure enough I saw no more deer.

I did see two more deer when I went back this evening but again not in range.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Makes you wonder if the coyote went hungry, too!:D

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Bust that yotes ***, I have lost 13 head of calves this yr the damn yotes are killin em an movin off to the next. I understand that they have to eat but to just kill an leave it really pisses me off, plus costs me alot of money so if u see em bust em

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

It's what they do......buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms! (where did I hear that?)

5. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

They can stick to rabbits an field mice then, leave my cattle alone

6. unclebear

unclebear New Member

We had a family friend with the same problem but they only lost 3 (3 out of 10...) me and my brother sat in the hay loft with our rifles one night when the moon was good and just shot anything that looked like a dog. By the time we got done that night we only had 7 dead but we hit more then that we could only find the 7. Didn't have anymore problems after that.

7. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

None other than Jose Wales.:D

8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I have lived on this ranch for 41 yrs I sure as hell know coyotes. We do not have feral dogs. As for coyotes they will an often do kill for sport. If they have pups its really bad, they teach them how to hunt an our calves are prime targets. Been there seen it 100s of times.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Any coyote worth seeing is worth shooting at year round. First coyotes I ever shot were out on a bow hunt. Killed a coyote went and got my arrow ,5 mins later another running mate came by and shot it with the same arrow and still got lucky an shot a doe about 3 hours later. Lay them down and stay put deer can still stumble along if the coyotes are just passing thru.

10. cgersty

cgersty New Member

We can kill em year round here in Illinois, but during firearm gun season with deer slugs, if you kill one you have to tag it with a firearm deer tag, I will kill em but ill be damned im using a deer tag on a yote, I usually bait them and call to them year round, but during deer season I focus on killing my deer.

Gersty

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Boy Illinois is screw up in so many ways with hunting and carry laws.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Win73,

A lot of it depends on the state you are in and the hunting pressure that has been on the deer in the area. Last week while deer, pig and coyote hunting in Texas the following happened. I will also add that the deer where I hunt are also very curious of anything. I was watching two does and a young spike buck when they went instantly on full alert! Then all looked in one direction and kept staring. Then tails went up with the normal huff huff sounds broadcasting danger or fear and they all three ran away. Watching closely I saw a big coyote. I shot the coyote with my 6.5 Grendel and killed the Yote. In 15 minutes here came all three of the deer back to the original location. (Curiosity since they still had never seen me or winded me. Stomping their feet and coming near they were walking around smelling the air and approaching cautiously. But they did come back.

13. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Several yrs ago I had a coon try to convince me my box blind was his, so I put one in him tossed his crazy behind out of the blind about 25 to 30 feet away, I had a fork horn buck walk over to the dead coon an he licked an pushed it around for about 5 min. Strange things u see

14. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

you ought to try wolves on for size. hopefully we will get to start shooting this next fall

15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Yea the wolves are kill the deer an elk herds I can always find a good hole to toss one in, just shoot em high an burry em deep

16. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

To stop predators, I once saw on tv or read some where that taste is the greatest method. Smell and taste trigger memories the best. Based on this concept farmers/ranchers would sacrifice a lamb or calf and then poison the carcas. The wolves or coyotes would get deathly ill, but not die. And since taste and smell are the greatest triggers to memory, they wont even think about attacking the same animal because or the horrible poisoning experience.

It works on us as well. If we have a stomach bug that we dont know about then go to eat. Later we get sick then we blame it on the food. Based on that smell/taste trigger if someone suggests going out to eat at the same place or eating the same food in the future your responce is usually "Their food makes me sick." Even though their food probably didnt do it, but that trigger is hard to break.

17. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I like to let the yotes taste my 22-250 it really keeps em for coming back for seconds

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If you are in the business, I guess that makes a lot of sense.

If you like ridding the area of these pests, then it's kind of counter productive.