Should Thumbs Up Remain Anonymous?

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by Shooter, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

As it is now, members are unable to see who has given them a thumbs up or thumbs down. I have had a couple of people ask to see who is giving them thumbs up. So I turn it over to you guys, do you want to see whose sending them?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I answer with a resounding I dunno'. I guess either way is okay with me.

I don't use the thumbs down feature, I either post what I think or use the report the post option.

I do give thumbs up frequently and like the feature.

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

To me I'll give a + and don't need to hide. If I have nothing nice to say I should just STFU

4. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

I say let it be known, I for one would like, in the rare instance I get a thumbs up, to be able to shoot a thanks to the member. If I get a thumbs down, well then I should take a look at my post and ponder...
    Honestly I more often than not forget the feature is there, usually if I agree with a post then I say so right then. I'll use the feature in the future for the thumbs up, if someone needs a thumbs down I isually just ignore the dumbocity.

5. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Are the thumbs up and thumbs down anonymous? I got an email last week with a thumbs up.

I think we should see the thumbs up and thumbs down responses. I thought it was nice to get a thumbs up last week.

And if I get a thumbs down it will give me a chance to review the comment I made.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

It should remain anonymous. I would see a huge amount of lovefest and sucking up if the thumbs-uppers were made public.

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I concur....I do not want to find out that I have been getting the "thumbs up" from the same person all the time, just in case. :(

Jack

8. orangello

orangello New Member

This thread is slam full of proctologist jokes.

EDIT* I just got a "thumbs up" on this post; given the content, i'm not 100% on how to take that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  9. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I think proctologists use their fingers, not their thumbs, but I'm not old enough to visit one yet.

I vote for remain anonymous. We wouldn't want to create a bunch of thumbsuckers would we....

10. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I've never gotten a "thumbs up" for any of my posts. :(
    But then again, I've never gotten a "thumbs down" for any of my posts either. :D

Keep it anonymous-

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I probably am old enough, at least physically, but i think i'll pass on that exam. BTW, your two statements together are quite funky. :D

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I think it should be anonymous because then you would get guys giving each other thumbs up for everything they post. Flooding the system.

For the record I just gave everyone here a thumbs up.

13. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

I have to agree with keeping it anonymous. Praise can always be posted as a response in the forum so that everyone can see who enjoys a post.

If you have spent any time on YouTube you know how a thumbs down can turn into a giant flame war. There is also some sound reasoning why a site like Facebook only has a thumbs up button, and no thumbs down button. Building in negative functionality invites trolls and asinine antics.

14. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

hey, I've gotten some "thumbs up" for my post in this topic...
    who did that :p hahahee

Keep it anonymous, members can always PM each other about giving out "thumbs up".

15. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

if only feels like a thumb :(:(

16. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

What is the thumbs down protocol? Are they intended solely to direct staff attention, or are they for user feedback as well? Since I don't see any on my page, I have to assume they are only visible to the mods :rolleyes:.

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Sorry Daggle, I have them on my page. ;) Did you give enough when you became a SM?

18. Jynx

Jynx New Member

I don't think I'd care either way. I've had a 'thumbs up' before, but it was a damn good post... I might've actually given it to myself. I'm narcissistic like that.

Flip a coin. Seems like the general concensus doesn't care. Only the poster can see who gives them a thumbs up right? I can imagine the few that do care not wanting other people to see.

Meh. Just roll with it.

19. freefall

freefall New Member

I have received a couple thumbs up notifications, would be a bit interested to know from whom. I have no idea how to send one, how one should respond to one (I'd like to thank all the little people behind the scenes...), does a thumbs down mean you should be killed, while a thumbs up means spare you? I guess I just lack couth in the field of electronic communication. Maybe we should have a "Miss Manners" thread or section.
    Actually, we SHOULD have a Miss Manners thread that's one of those at the top so louts like me can learn how to act. Good idea, I'd give myself a thumbs up if I knew how!!

20. dwhawkman

dwhawkman New Member

Keep it anonymous. :eek: