Should I?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by stalkingbear, Feb 25, 2010.

1. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I found a S&W model 29 with the 10" barrel at a local pawnshop. I'm reasonably certain I can get him down to 550. I was wanting another Ruger Redhawk in .44 but am thinking about this blued 29. My only concern is that long of a barrel. Just thinking it's just too dang long to pack. Should I get it and cut down or change the barrel? Opinions?

2. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

I wouldn't cut the barrel on a 10inch... but that's just me. You're right about it being hard to pack though. I can't even imagine putting that thing in a holster!! Of course I'm only 5'11" and weigh 160.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What's the dash #? Is it a 29-3 SILHOUETTE 10 5/8" BARREL?

10" barrel? Don't think I've ever seen one??

Not that there isn't one.

Get it and don't molest it! Except maybe a scope.

I love my N-frame!

[​IMG]

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That's a hunting gun Bear. I would leave the barrel as is, and put a nice target scope on that rascal. ;)

Jack

5. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Sure would be a shame to cut that barrel. I have a S&W 586 with a 8 3/8" barrel and that is hard to carry. I would opt to change the barrel if you had too. If you get it, shoot it a few times. You might change your mind when you see the ballistic performance and accuracy with a 10" barrel though. My 8 3/8" is a real performer out to 50 to 75 yards on iron sights.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

It probably is the 10 5/8" barrel.

7. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

That's one heck of a hog-leg. I wouldn't cut it down. if you can change the barrel, you will have 2 guns for the price of 1 1/2.

8. MB44

MB44 New Member

I use my Taurus Raging Bull .44Mag with a 8 3/8" barrel to shoot IPSC matches, and on those occasions I wear the revolver all day long in a speedholster on my hip - not a problem. I can't see that adding 2" is going to hurt.....I would definitely buy it, and keep it as it is.

[​IMG]
    (Sorry I didn't have the time to "Photoshop" the belly out,...)

I have to dream about seeing any type 29 down here in my part of the woods,.... :(

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Bear, I got my 629 with an 8 3/8s barrel and I'm loving it. After I discovered someone had the rear sight out of place and I can not hit something with it. It takes some follow thru but it's a blast to shoot and nice to look at too. Get the 29 and don't look back.

10. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Bear, I love mine. The last deer I took was with it. The shot was about 95 yards, using a 240gr hard cast semi-wadcutter over 20gr of 2400. One shot through both lungs and out the other side. I carry mine in a shoulder rig when hunting...

Jim........................................

Attached Files:

• mine.jpg
      mine.jpg
      File size:
      43.4 KB
      Views:
  11. MB44

MB44 New Member

Sweet setup,..!!! ;)

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Bear, you're a big guy, so you can handle the longer barrel just fine. If you plan on using it for hunting, it would be quite a good sidearm. If not, maybe wait for a shorter barreled model 29 to come along.

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

What kind of stocks do you have on that beast Jim? I like them...