...should I wait? or pull the trigger

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Sonic82, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I’ve been thinking about my very modest collection of semi-auto handguns and what needs I have and the niche they fill. Currently I own three…
    a SIG P229SCT in .40, a Beretta 92FS and a XDM Compact in 9mm. All are very new and in pristine condition.

The P229- in my opinion it is the gold standard for an all metal, DA/SA mid-size pistol. I love the gun. Functions great, looks great and feels great. It is a range gun for me, just basic target shooting and it’s my bed side pistol. I don’t have CCW permit yet, but I plan to get one soon. This gun will probably be a secondary pistol or somewhere in the rotation for my carry needs and it’s my only .40

The XDM- another gun I can’t see myself ever letting go. Great pistol, excellent ergonomics, accurate and functions flawlessly. I love the convertibility of it with it’s full size mag and short mag for carry. This will be my primary CCW pistol. I shoot it often, just a fun pistol to shoot at the range.

The Beretta- It’s my second 92. I missed the first one after I sold it and had to replace it. It’s in near new condition and like all Beretta’s, it just looks like it’s doing 100mph sitting on the table. It’s a range gun and that’s all it will ever be. I call it my SHTF gun, anyone will work on them, you can always find parts and accessories….But it’s also the pistol I would let go and I’ve been thinking about that lately....

…there’s a couple of handguns I’d like to have. I’d like a couple of revolvers. A short barreled .38 snub for CCW would be nice. A full size .357 for the range and a woods gun would thrill me to death. And a single-stack semi for CCW for those occasions you want very little bulk when carrying.

With limited funds, like many of us…I’d have trade off the Beretta. I know it’s a personal decision and I know I’d miss it. I've never sold or traded a gun I didn't miss.... Just soliciting your thoughts and opinions….thanks.

2. phburks

phburks New Member

If you want to get rid of a gun then trade it off. But if you wanna keep all of them and yet get more, then why not just save a little here in there until you have enough to buy the next one?

3. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

^ agreed. Only trade it off or sell if you are not really happy with it. Otherwise, you will miss it and regret it. I've sold and traded a few I should have kept and just spent more money replacing them.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are collections and then there are COLLECTIONS.

Amassing a large number of guns may not be the same as collecting different firearms.

Be selective in buying. Having 25 Hi-Points is not the same as having 5 "Les Baer's".

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree, and i only trade or sell those that i don't like or don't fulfill my expectations for me. i too have traded or sold some in the past to get another, only to find that the new one wasn't as great as i thought. then was in remorse over having gotten rid of one i had that i liked to end up with one i didn't. if you like the 92f, then keep it and save up for something else you want, then if you don't like the new one, get rid of it.

6. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Trade it if you want..If I don't shoot it much I'll get rid of it to get something else. They make more every day..It's would be nice to have a big collection of guns, but other than a couple pre-64 Win. 94's, I shoot all my guns and enjoy doing so..:cool:

7. dallascj

dallascj New Member

I say trade it. I have had many handguns that were really good guns, but I was just not enamored with. The Beretta would be easy to re-acquire if you decided you wanted another one down the road. I personally like horse-trading guns to have and try different types. Some I really like and keep, and others I hang onto until something better comes along. Good luck either way you decide.

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If you're even thinking of trading it I think you've already made you're mind up :rolleyes:

9. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

I know what you mean when you later regret getting rid of one. I sold a friend a Star model 30m 9mm it was nothing special but it was dead nut accurate, dependable and built like a tank, I'm trying to talk him into selling it back to me.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Sold my 92 years ago, bought a Wilson Commander. The Wilson is amazing. Accuracy is second to none. It may only hold 7 rounds, so I bought more mags.
    I don't miss the 92 at all.

11. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Well, that's because 25 highpoints would only be 2 les baer's:p
    Op- as everyone else has said, if you're going to regret it, don't do it, you'll end up coming around for a third time:p

12. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

my 2¢ on two guns that EVERYONE should have:

A good 22LR semi auto pistol. 4"-6" barrel. Ruger MkII or MkIII, Browning
    Buckmark, S&W 41 if you have money to burn.

A 4" medium frame .357 Magnum with adjustable sights. I'm partial
    to S&W mdl 19's, some like stainless or Ruger. Shoot anything from
    bunny fart "cowboy" loads to full house 357 screamers---all good.

I love 1911's, but if I were going to add a third to the "must have"
    list, it would be a Glock 17. Dirt simple, has less moving parts than
    a staple gun. Shoots probably the most common centerfire handgun
    caliber in the world. A tool that anybody can pick up and figure out
    how to make it go bang.

13. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

If you think u will regret it keep it. The beretta 92 is one of the best 9mm pistols out there. If you had to trade one i would trade the xdm for something else they are a dime a dozenn you can pick up xd's for next to nothing at any gun show or gun shop with a used section