Should I trade it in?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BVictorious, Mar 31, 2012.

1. BVictorious

BVictorious New Member

I have a full size S&W M&P9 and I enjoy shooting it. But I have been thinking more and more of trading it in for something different. I am a huge 1911 fan, so I would probably get a Remington 1911 R1 or Ruger SR1911 (if I can find one). What do you think I could get out of a used M&P9 with about 400 rounds through it? And I know it's my choice and my preference, but does anyone think I will regret it?

2. Werminator

Werminator Member

My limited experience leads me to believe that in your shoes I would hold onto the 9 and still invest in the 45. In the long run you could easily save enough money shooting 9mm that the M&P would pay more in savings than the value you will get on a trade in.

3. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

you could maybe get $475.00 for it if the timing is right. $400 is more realistic. I love the 9mm myself but I do see the Ruger sr1911 as a definite want. Id just save up if I were you

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with Weminator. keep the 9mm pistol if you really like shooting it and save up and get a 1911 style pistol. the Remington R-1 is a very nice looking pistol and one i am giving much consideration in buying. getting rid of your 9mm to get another pistol, when you enjoy shooting it, will lead to regret later on. save up and buy a 1911 pistol.

5. BVictorious

BVictorious New Member

The only reason I am really considering trading it is because I'm tight on cash since I'm getting married in less than a year. I am saving up as much money as possible to give her the wedding she deserves. And I figure, trade the M&P in and spend the least amount possible to get the 1911. But at the same time, the 9mm is cheaper than the .45.

6. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

just sit tight with what you have, keep it use it and pick up a 1911 later down the road like after the wedding focus on that the rest later because now you can shoot relatively cheap but not so cheap with .45 just my two cents

7. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I've sold two guns in my life. I regret both of them. I'd hang on to what you have.

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Keep the M&P...you'll have more money for the wedding, and later when you can afford a 1911, you'll STILL have the Smith for her to shoot...

9. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

The problem with trade ins now is that nobody is getting what they deserve for the trades pretty much everywhere. If you're intent on upgrading caliber to another handgun, sell the M&P outright. That's pretty much what I advise everyone to do these days.

I'd be hard pressed to get rid of it at all.

10. BVictorious

BVictorious New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If it yours & you want something different trade it- :confused:

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

No easy answer as trade ins get about .50 cents on the dollar, consignment - storefront gets about 20%, but selling yourself can be a royal PIA w idiots trying to low ball you, calling late or targeting your house for a break in. Big time black market item.

If you belong to a good gun club they often have a bulletin board where fellow members can advertise but their are fools everywhere as they seem to breed like rabbits. :p

I advise you to avoid buyers remorse & keep it AND buy the 1911. Once your married, your gun collecting days may be numbered and you will have to convince the wife prior to any purchase and as many a married man has found out, that may not be as simple as you thought it w be. That's about as PC as I can put it...:D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  13. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I wouldn't turn it loose. The 9mm is way more economical to shoot. Save up for the 1911 or better yet, register it for the wedding.

14. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I definitely agree with the consensus of this thread. my advice would also be to keep your m&p and save up for your 1911. Exercise patience. You won't regret it. And as one person has stated you'll also have a second firearm for your future wife. And with the m&p's adjustable palm swells and 9mm caliber, I'm sure it would be a perfect fit. Good luck on your decision and best of luck with your marriage!

15. wbaker

wbaker New Member

Ok if you like a 1911 style in 9mm keep your m&p and do what I did I got a star b super witch looks like a 1911 and by the way it is a great gun very accurate and reliable. You can get one on gunsamerica.com for $239