Should I trade and how much should I give

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Bigguns911, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

So my father-in-law was over the other day. He was talking about getting a 357 revolver. I showed him my Ruger security six and he loved it. I got it for dirt cheap and it is in good shape. I have wanted a security six for a long time and finally found one. He told me he would be interested in a part trade with some $ for his Colt 1911 commander. I have not seen it but he told me he paid $600. for it. My ? is, how much should I give him for the Colt on top of the trade. The question of doing the trade is an easy one, hell yes for a Colt.

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'd trade him based purely on the info you gave. (not much) hint

3. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

If you can, look up the values of each firearm, then compare the difference in prices. Sometimes a local gun dealer will help out (they have the fancy books behind their counters with the current sell/trade values).

Keep it fair.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had a 4" Security Six and I loved it. However, I would have traded it for a Colt Commander in a New York minute.

If the Colt is halfway decent, you can't go wrong.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

What he said. The Security Six is a great gun and I had one for 20 years - uber strong & reliable. But a Colt is a Colt. Assuming similar condition say $250 or so difference in street value (since you're related). TBH, Colt's don't really depreciate...

6. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

See what he'd take in cash for the Colt,,,, keep em' both if possible.

Jeff

7. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Thanks all, I know it is a good trade I just needed some reinforcement to make up my mind. I like the security six but the Colt is like you said a Colt. I just have a had time giving up one gun to get another. I like to keep my guns and just get more but I do not have the extra $'s right. I will talk with him about selling it back to me if he want to sell it some day. Thanks again.

8. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Got it

So we did the trade and I'm happy. I gave him the Ruger and $200.00 cash for the Colt. I cleaned it up and it looks great. Some marks for holster I suspect by all and all in very good shape. I will attempt to put a pic up soon.

9. CA357

As long as everone's happy, that's an excellent trade. Pics and a range report will be expected. :D

10. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Pic's sorry it took so long

So this is her, she shoots great, 6" plates at 15 yards with no problems. I did get a hell of a pinch for the hammer but that is for not firing this gun much and getting to hi on the back strap. I am happy with the trade and hope to pick up more colts latter.:D

Attached Files:

11. CA357

Sweet.... Enjoy that rascal. :cool: