Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Screw this crap if I can't sell it at the gun show I'll keep it
Bet theres a few places to advertise local ain't there?
Sides, i bet it'll sell at the show ;)
I've been buyin, sellin & trading online for 10 yrs but shipping has got to be such a hassell i just do local now-

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
That is the most irresponsible thing Ive ever heard. A parking lot gun sale?? Cmon man....thats part of the national issue. If you dont make a transaction on the books...legally....what if you just sold your pistol to a stick-up guy?

People looking to eek out a bigger profit putting greed over responsibility makes me sick.

It's ridiculous to run a sale though a dealer's book if you aren't legally required to.

The first question I ask at a gun show is "do you have paper on that gun?" If the seller does have paper, it better be a smokin' hot deal or I'm not interested.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Im just afraid I'll get to the show and they'll say you can't sell that here
I have seen lots of private sales at gun shows in value, specifically The Nations Gunshow near Dulles.

Do not sell a pistol to an out of state resident without going through an ffl.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's ridiculous to run a sale though a dealer's book if you aren't legally required to.

The first question I ask at a gun show is "do you have paper on that gun?" If the seller does have paper, it better be a smokin' hot deal or I'm not interested.
Why is that ridiculous? Some smack *** from Reuters went undercover and asked not one...but 2 guys selling private guns if he could still buy a gun even though he failed a background check recently....and the boneheads sold to him!

People who fail background check's can go to the next state over and purchase one at a gun show, privately. THAT is the very definition of a loophole. A very dangerous one.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Potential, go thru an FFL to prove you sold it. Show will have one or more there selling their services including a background check I presume, maybe even process the buyer's credit card for you. It is a time to maximize the ease and selling price which is NOT the same as getting what you want for it in dollars. Could be less, could be more, but will never be greater! Now make up your mind and DON'T spend it on those women from the dating service.

You let us down with that one my friend.

:(

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I recommend a legal transfer because

If you don't do a transfer and the buyer commits a serious crime, drops your gun at the crime scene then the BATF traces the gun to you and the swat team shows up at your house thinking you are the criminal

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
I recommend a legal transfer because

If you don't do a transfer and the buyer commits a serious crime, drops your gun at the crime scene then the BATF traces the gun to you and the swat team shows up at your house thinking you are the criminal
Thats pretty much too much TV bullshet ---

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Whether or not I do it through an FFL I'm getting the buyers info that way if anybody ever says "your gun was found at the scene of the crime" I can prove I sold it and send them to the next guy

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Around here, pistol prices haven't gotten out of hand,,, yet.That said, there are no deals either. Whatever the sticker says, that's what you pay, no haggling. So yeah, depending on where you live and the condition of the piece, you shouldn't have any trouble moving it.

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Thats pretty much too much TV bullshet ---
Hmmm...

Guy I shot with regularly back in the day with a mutual buddy of ours uselessly had a Mini-14 "accurized." Yeah, I told him it would have little if any effect. Anyway... Didn't sell it to me when he was disappointed though I offered but in a fit of frustration sold it to a gunshop also for FFL record keeping. Sur'nough, a coupla weeks later it was used in a murder. Cops showed up to his house with an entry team. He produced receipt, they followed up, he was not charged.

Yeah, he may have lost $250, someone was killed with his gun, and his name is probably still on "a list," but he was happy there was an FFL logbook with his name in it.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Hmmm...

Guy I shot with regularly back in the day with a mutual buddy of ours uselessly had a Mini-14 "accurized." Yeah, I told him it would have little if any effect. Anyway... Didn't sell it to me when he was disappointed though I offered but in a fit of frustration sold it to a gunshop also for FFL record keeping.
Sur'nough, a coupla weeks later it was used in a murder. Cops showed up to his house with an entry team. He produced receipt, they followed up, he was charged.
Yeah, he may have lost $250, someone was killed with his gun, and his name is probably still on "a list," but he was happy there was an FFL logbook with his name in it.
Twice --I said TWICE handguns i've sold FTF filtered down after a time (time mite be the difference) to someone who committed homicides with them---Only reason i know it is my LGS owner is also a friend who called me to tell me I might be contacted about them each time - Never heard a word from anyone else---I don't care how great & honest the guy you sell one to is no way you can control who aquires it after that --

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
Twice --I said TWICE handguns i've sold FTF filtered down after a time (time mite be the difference) to someone who committed homicides with them---Only reason i know it is my LGS owner is also a friend who called me to tell me I might be contacted about them each time - Never heard a word from anyone else---I don't care how great & honest the guy you sell one to is no way you can control who aquires it after that --
Oops, he was NOT charged I meant but you knew that Hoss... Point is, especially with a handgun, one might want the insulation and insurance as well as the NICS check that goes along with an FFL sale.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would suggest using armslist.com.... like Craigslist, but only for stuff you can't sell on Craigslist..

Since I've had a lot of experience over the years, I will tell you this.

DO NOT ACCEPT **ANY** kind of check. Money Orders, Cashiers checks, etc... they can be counterfeited. If you feel you must... only accept one where you can call the bank or Western Union ... whatever, and verify. Tell the buyer upfront you will not release the gun until the check has cleared. Be firm. If they resist and come up with stories, there's a good chance you're getting scammed.

I was selling something on CL once... told the guy I would check with the bank. He was okay with that, he had a cashiers check from a bank in a small town in Wisconsin. It was so small , the bank was the only bank in that town. I called the bank the next day and verified it. I looked the number up online to be sure the number I had was for a bank. The clerk said that I was smart to do this, as even she had seen people take fake cashiers checks.

And yes, even cash can be counterfeit.

Most things, if I'm going to sell... I only sell locally. If a remote buyer wants something... I'll take a check, as long as they understand I'm not shipping ANYTHING for at least 2 weeks. They will often find a way to send me $$$ ... usually Western Union.

in this case, the seller should beware...or wary, skeptical and extremely careful.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Oops, he was NOT charged I meant but you knew that Hoss... Point is, especially with a handgun, one might want the insulation and insurance as well as the NICS check that goes along with an FFL sale.
Kinda agree & disagree--I'll say i enjoy the fact that its legal (& shud be) to just sell a gun to who who you want to (we're talking in a reasonable fashion now) without being probed & charged fees BUT you have to realize that down the line there cud be circumstances to deal with--Hard for me to take a firm stand on just one side on this point :eek:
BUT you'll never catch me arguein with the ole CYA policy ;)

·
Banned
6,489 Posts
I like the story the Feds put out. They are not using Information from the 4473 to register guns? They cross check these with dealers records of gun transfers. I was called on a .44 Charter Arms that was found at a crime scene. I had sold the gun 35 years ago.:confused:
We do not have National Gun Registration in America, Really?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
I like the story the Feds put out. They are not using Information from the 4473 to register guns? They cross check these with dealers records of gun transfers. I was called on a .44 Charter Arms that was found at a crime scene. I had sold the gun 35 years ago.:confused:
We do not have National Gun Registration in America, Really?:rolleyes:
Agree on that!
One i sold (1st) that was mis-used i had sold to a good friend about 5yrs before-He had no clue how many times it changed hands after he traded it off-BTW, it was a chicken shet little Heritage SA 22--

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
One of my co workers wants to buy it. Offering $375 cash. I only paid $400 for it and he knows that or else I'd ask for $400. I'm gonna get all his information in case I ever get a call.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts