Should I shoot it

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by tinbucket, Jun 5, 2014.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Maybe wrong forum maybe not.
    I have a stainless Vaquero, in 45 Colt wood grips. Bought it in 1996 or 97.
    It hasn't been fired except proofing, at factory.
    I understand value of earlier Vaqueros, is going up. Hasn't been but yesterday that I bought it but that is 18 years or so.
    Shoot it or keep it and buy another to shoot?

2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

If you can Afford to buy another one G-D bless! Now if you wanted to buy a single action to make money off of as a collectors item you should have bought the 100th Annv. Colt SAA in 1973,.you could buy anything you wanted to replace it and have enough left over to almost buy a new car....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Shoot it or Sell it !.......................

4. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Shoot it and enjoy it.

5. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Shoot it! That's what it's made for.

6. 25-5

25-5 New Member

shoot it! :cool:

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Its not a pristine colt single action from the turn of the last century, Shoot that sucker.

8. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Fire away and enjoy it bro!!

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

5 rounds proofing at factory, 5 round proofing at hand of owner.

We are not getting younger so enjoy the fine things in life now.

Shoot it and tell us how it did.

10. therukh

therukh New Member

Buy a new one to shoot & keep the other pristine.

11. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Shoot It......................Enjoy every click-click..squeeze - Bang...from a very nice gun, that YOU appreciate.....Whoever gets it when your gone is just going to sell it off for 1/2 price with the rest of your crap......

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you pulled the hammer and rotated the cylinder? If the answer to that is yes then shoot it. You have already started the rotation scratch so it is not pristine.

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can afford it, buy another one. Then go out and shoot both of them. I will admit that I do have a couple firearms that I have not shot yet, but that is due to a lack of time (my Type 56 SKS, 58 vintage, got the ammo, don't have the time yet) my Type 38 and 99 Arisakas ( Waiting on an ammo order) and my CVA 1861 Colt Navy replica in .44 (Dad and i built it in the mid 80s, still working up the B@!!s to load it and pull the trigger. It should hold together, but given that it was an unfinished kit, I will proceed with caution when I shoot it for the first time after the move.), in part because iI never had all of the needed supplies before now. If i had while in NY, I would have had to put it on the permit to take it out to enjoy it. By not having the components, it was never classed as a firearm, it was nothing more than a paperweight under state laws.

My feeling on it is, without a special reason to have it, I will not have a firearm that I do not intend to shoot. If you don't want to shoot it, I'll gladly take it off your hands for you. ;)

14. toroboy

toroboy New Member

Life is too short. Shoot that pistol every chance you get! It'll still be worth a nice amount when/if you decide to sell it and you can say you've had some fun along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. lampman

lampman New Member

I had the same one and it is totally awesome ! BUT I'm used to a 45 1911 and can't shoot a hog leg at all! Plus the sights are LOUSY for target . It has the groove and thin blade which is proper for the gun .... Sold it and was not sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I actually like shooting groove and blade sights, but I'm used to shooting revolvers with fixed sights.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

He's to lame to learn to shoot it or to lasy to try !! hehehe. It the trigger is smooth I'll shoot it fairly well.