Should I register my gun?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by bkace4, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkace4

bkace4 New Member

Ok guys, sorry for the newbie question. I bought my first handgun at the beginning of this month. I haven't registered it yet, nor do I have to in my state. My question is, should I even bother registering it? Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

2. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

Hell No!!! no need all that does is let the government know u have it. It's your right, only thing will ever come of it is A. cost you money B. if and when they make guns illeagal they know you have that one to come take.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Not only no, but hell no. Do not register it unless required to do so by law. No body needs to know you have it, plus if they ever ban whatever kind of hand gun you have, they will know where to get it. (look up Hitlers gun registery, that is only one of the cases that this has happened, there are thousands more)

Oh, and welcome to FTF. If you haven't already, stop by the introductions forum and introduce yourself.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Who would you register it with, if registration is not required in your state?
    I guess you could go pay an FFL a "transfer fee" to put it on his books and then take it off his books again. That wouldn't really "register" it but would attach your name to it via the FFL's bound book.

:confused:

5. bkace4

bkace4 New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I have the registration card that came with the gun (Ruger). The reason I ask about registration is I haven't researched enough yet to know whether or not it has to be registered should I ever decide to sell it. I don't have any intention of doing so right now, obviously, I just got it, but maybe later on down the road. I have a lot to learn in regards to the gun laws in my state. I've been reading and researching as much as I can. It's great to have places like this forum. Very insightful and educational.

Thanks again guys.

6. EiteCombat

EiteCombat New Member

That Ruger registration card is usually referring to the warranty. However, if the gov't decided to make that particular gun illegal, I wouldn't be surprised if they tapped manufacturers records for that stuff.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

OH, you meant "should i send in the warranty card on my new firearm". :rolleyes: That is a bit different.

Google "gun registration" and you will understand why most rational firearms owners would not support "registration" of firearms as was carried out by the Nazi party and certain less firearms-friendly states of the U.S.

8. bkt

bkt New Member

If you are legally not obliged to register it, why is there a means by which you could register it? That makes no sense.

If, by law, you should register it then please do so.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

In other words, check the laws of your state (or country if overseas).

10. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

If someone tries to steal your identity, you have a birth certificate.
    If someone tries to steal your house, you have a deed.
    If someone tries to steal your car, you have a title.
    If someone tries to steal your money, you have a bank account number.
    If someone tries to steal your guns, you have a registration.

If someone tries to steal your woman, you let them...

11. Brennan16

Brennan16 New Member

You let them. Good one.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

12. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

That sounds like a warranty card from the company. I would send that in. I'm glad I don't have to register my gun. Although that may be around the corner here in il.

13. bkt

bkt New Member

No, I have photos of the firearms with S/N recorded and logged with my insurance company. I don't register them with the local government to establish proof of ownership.

14. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

ditto. i actually etch in my own in some part where i know no regular jackass would look to sand one off.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You just did by posting your question on a public forum.

The bell has been rung.

16. _winer_

_winer_ New Member

Hi all,
    I have a question but please consider this post as a question from a foreigner, not an attempt for a flame or demeaning the USA. I just want to understand :)
    My question is: without registration how do you avoid convicted criminals or mentally ill to buy a firearm?
    Do you file papers so that authorities will check your background and once cleared you can buy any firearms which is legal to posses in your State? So you dont register the particular firearm but have a general permit. Is this correct?
    Is this true also for people who are not citizens of the USA but are legally living in the country?
    I tried some searches but actually my ideas are more confused now than before :D

Kind regards

17. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

^

Some states require a permit to purchase a firearm, most just do a general background check when you buy the gun from a store. If you are mentally ill (and have been admitted to a hospital), or have a felony, it will most likely show up on a background check. Hope that anwers your question. :)

I'm not sure about non-citizens. :confused:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  18. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

you dont friend, its the dark truth but the violent will find ways to be violent and in the US case, guns have been around for a long, long time. even if all we were aloud to have was muskets there would be some wack job in a mall frantically trying to load powder down a barrel.

One would hope that a background check and general common sense would prevail over the criminal or insane from purchasing a weapon, but even the gun shop owners break the law by not fully researching and not giving a damn when they guy asks if the gun hes purchasing comes with a holster for his imaginary friend.

we, the level headed, wish not for our firearms to be registered for obvious cases lest we be categorized as part of the whole "gun problem." the only thing that will come from registration is making us much like you poor bastards in England. Last time we were subjects, we didnt enjoy that sh*t too much.

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hello Winer! Here in the US, there are two sets of laws- one, the National or Federal govt, regulates transfer of ownership of firearms that move from one state to another, regulates manufacture, and being in the business of buying and selling guns.

The other is State law, set by each of the 50 states. Those laws vary depending on the state, but may not be LESS stringent than Federal law.

From a Federal stand, at the time of purchase from a dealer, a background check is conducted on the buyer to determine if he is a "prohibited person"- a felon, fugitive, mental case, etc.

SOME states require that you have a permit to purchase or to possess firearms. MOST do not. A few states require certain guns sales to always involve a dealer- most permit sale by a private citizen to another directly if they both reside in same state, and seller does not have cause to believe buyer is a "prohibited person".

A non-US citizen MAY legally purchase a firearm in the US- IF they are here legally. A non-resident alien may purchase a gun under some circumstances (have a hunting license, want to go hunting, assigned to Embassy staff, etc) A resident alien (such as my British wife) is treated same as a US citizen.

Is it possible to illegally obtain a firearm? Yes. Umm- that is true here AND wherever you are. Criminals break laws. That is why they are called criminals. However, if caught with a gun and you are a prohibited person, you face minimum of 5 years in a Federal prison, no probation, no parole.

20. _winer_

_winer_ New Member

Thank you all for taking the time to explain :)

Doesn't this equal a registration with the authorities? I mean they have the name of the buyer, of the dealer and (i suppose) the firearm he's willing to buy.

Sounds good!! :D

So true. You would laugh if you knew the amount of papers we must provide in order to buy even a simple single shot 4.5mm air rifle more powerful than 7,5 joules!
    Yet the criminals have not a problem in finding guns. Lots of them flowing in from eastern Europe. Furthermore many guns get stolen from houses and private guards. Investigations showed that criminal dealers do have possession of the lists of legitimate gun owners. It really doesn't take much imagination to guess how they got that.
    Oh and around here if a convicted criminal is found with guns he gets a severe reprimand from the judge, a motivational speech on changing his life, a cookie and an out-of-jail ticket. More or less... :D

Kind regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.