Should I oil?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by rferguson61, Jan 9, 2012.

1. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

So I stripped down my Winchester 94 and did a deep clean on it. I pulled the magazine spring out and cleaned the tube (which it DESPERATELY needed). Im wondering...should I run a patch of remoil thru the tube to protect it like you do the barrel?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Answer your own question?

But yeah, it wont hurt anything and can only benefit your rifle.

3. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

I kind of assumed it wouldn't hurt...didn't know for sure if there would be any ill effects on the ammo or anything. I didn't think there would be...but better safe than sorry.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

It shouldn't hurt your ammo.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

After running oil, use a dry patch or 2. Oil on a cartridge is not good! It will create issues!

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yep. You might also want to spray your spring down with a light coating of a gun oil or rub a very light coat of your oil of choice on it.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

7. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

So run a patch with oil on it, let it sit a bit then another to get any excess off? This was kinda my plan to start with but wanted to ask first.

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Pretty much run a dry patch or 2 through so there is no residue. I use CLP or FP10 as they don't leave petroleum behind. I'm not a fan of oil, period. To cold here.

9. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the help. Now the intimidating task of reassembly.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Oil everything !

11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

yEP,

That is good! But there are a lot better gun oils available than Rem Oil! And Rem Oil is not adequate for the AR Rifles for those who are using it on AR Rifles! It is too thin and will bake off with any heat generated by the weapon during firing multiple rounds!

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Sniper03 is correct Rem-Oil is to light, use Lucas Gun Oil..........

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Mobil-1 doesn't cost much...

14. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Anything we can do to guard against corrosion is good, but keep it to a light coating.

15. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

After reading your post I started thinking about my Model 94 that I bought new in 1973. I have always kept my 94 very clean after each use but I had never cleaned out the magazine tube. The screw for the tube plug was in there pretty tight so I spayed a little Kroil on it to loosen it up. There was some corrosion on the threads of the screw but I easily removed it with Kroil and a bronze brush. This took some of the bluing off the screw but I recoated it with my bluing pen. There was some crud in the tube and on the spring but the metal was not rusted. I was surprised at how good the tube and spring looked after I cleaned them. I sprayed a little Rem Oil on a patch and ran it through the tube. I doubt what little oil that coats the inside of the tube will hurt the ammo.

I am glad I read your thread. This project gave me something fun to do.

16. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

Good im glad! I (for some reason) love cleaning guns. Its kinda relaxing. Turn some music on and go to it. Same thing with reloading. Great way to end the night. I figured my grandpa had never really deep cleaned it and with it having sat 10+ years it could use it. The magazine tube was caked. It was like mud. I was taken a back at how shiny it was when I was done.

17. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I also find cleaning guns and reloading to be relaxing. I put on some music and enjoy a nice cup of coffee while spiffing up my guns. I take my time and try not to get in a hurry. I like looking at my guns after they are once again clean and bright. Yesterday my wife asked what the "sweet" smell in the garage was every time I cleaned my guns. I showed her the Hoppe's #9 bottle. A while ago I started wearing nitrile gloves when cleaning my guns to help prevent harmful exposure to some of the chemicals. I also quickly learned to use some of the ammonia-based copper solvents in a well-ventilated area.

I also found some of that caking in my ammo tube. It looks like old dried-up grease. I think there was a time when it was common for gun manufacturers to slap grease on parts of a gun when putting them together.

I think you are going to have a lot of fun shooting your 94.

18. rferguson61

rferguson61 New Member

So you guys said remoil is to thin...and I saw a guy actually using grease to lube his. Would moly grease be good to use?

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Mobil 1 synthetic, cant beat it

20. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

You'd be surprised how many people have asked me to look at a gun of theirs that's acting up and the only thing that was wrong with it was a lack of maintenance. Had a guy brought me an AR-15. He said it had over 1500 rounds through it. Never been cleaned or oiled. When I broke it open, I was surprised it was working at all. It was dry as a bone, with gunk caked up so thick I had to scrape it off with a screw driver. The bolt assembly was riding in channels cut through the gunk. The rings.....well....they were still there...more or less.

I know opinions vary widely on gun cleaning. Some clean a gun every time it's shot. Others will argue you shouldn't do that. But they have to be cleaned and oiled at least once in a while.

As to Rem Oil, it doesn't take heat to bake it off. Oil a gun with rem oil, let it sit for a month or so, no sign of oil anywhere. Like it's never been oiled. That stuff just evaporates.