Should I oil my bore snake?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by warhawk77, Sep 1, 2011.

1. warhawk77

warhawk77 New Member

I just got my bore snake and I was wondering if you guys oil yours? I was watching Trigger Talk TV (great show for beginners) and he said keep it in a bag with oil. Or I think he did it was a few weeks ago and I can't find the episode.

Mine is for .22 so pretty dirty any way. From what I read most just put 3-4 drops of oil in front of the brush and pull it 2-3 times but other places it says just pull it dry

Thanks

2. vincent

vincent New Member

I took the brush out of mine, oil an inch or two at the beginning, swipe it through as many times as necessary. I use a second dry one to clean residual out. Gotta love them bore snakes, toss 'em in a sock, chuck 'em in the washer...good as new...for my 10/22

3. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Everyone has their preference. I put a few drops on the bristles and pull it through 5 times.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Great for emergency field cleaning, not day to day. Make sure to wash it after each use. No sense running grit/ dirt through the bore.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I have several of them & I something different on each !

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

For a .22, I wouldn't oil your boresnake unless you're getting ready to store her away for a little while.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Now you know someone is going to Freudian that one...:p