Should I like a shotgun bead sight?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by CHLChris, Mar 9, 2012.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

My Mossberg 590a1 shotgun has a front brass bead sight. I am saving up for a red-dot scope, or I am going to buy another Mossberg with ghost ring sights all because I feel very naked without rifle-type sights on this home-defense firearm. I have never shot trap and this gun has really only one purpose...stopping BG's!

What am I missing? I hate my brass bead sight, but they are so popular on shotguns I must be missing something very important.

Why the brass bead sight?

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Why? Because you you don't micromanage a shotgun. Yeah, you aim, but not as finely as on a rifle. In fact, often, you are aiming on where your target will be becasue it is moving, and so you are not aiming at it directly; not ON it. Let's call that pointing. And you don't gently squeeze the trigger like an eyedropper. The front bead sight is the bees knees. It is what you should want, need, and will want.

I have 590 A1 barrels with Ghost Ring (GR) sights, three dot sights, and bead. I ordered the bead the day after I tried the GR's -- great on a Lee-Enfield where u r firing at hundreds of yards, but they suck wind on a shotgun IMO where u r aiming to tens of yards. They look cool and might be useful for AIMING at a horny turkey, even quickly, but not quickly enough otherwise and they block a significant portion of your field of view. They are antithetical to shotgunning if you really want/need a shotgun to begin with. Presuming you appreciate and know how to use them. A shotgun is supposed to be optimal with around 70% of its shot in a 30" circle at the distance your target is -- GR's are not necessary nor conducive.

The three-dot? Why not!? LOL

Who needs to see (around) this?:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

4. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Really it's preference. At the farthest you will door 7 to 10 yards depending on house, the bead is just fine. I dislike how low I have to be on my gun to aim. I just got a mount so I can have a red dot.

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

If you want to really like your front sight on your shotgun get a XS Big Dot and put on it. The day / night feature is awesome and the better visibility makes it so easy to point & shoot. Red dot's and such I dont need on a shotgun at such close ranges.

Attached Files:

6. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I don't notice the bead when I shoot a shotgun; I keep both eyes open and use the barrel as an aiming devise. It's instinctive, like using a pea shooter.

But if you want a sight; by all means, get what you think will be easier for you.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A bead sight is WAY faster than ghost rings. GR's are ok for 50-100 yd slug shots.

8. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Very close range, like for home defense, a Red Dot or Ghost Ring seems like overkill. Assuming you will be shooting something like 00 Buckshot, the whole purpose of a shotgun is not needing to be right on...being close and fast will be good enough at short range.

Medium range, like for trap or skeet, you won't have time to acquire the target with a Red Dot or Ghost Ring. This type of shooting is point and follow through type shooting.

Longer range with slugs, then maybe a Red Dot or Ghost Ring would help.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I knew it had to be ignorance. Thanks so much. I don't have much experience since it is so darn expensive and/or punishing to practice my shotgun.

I have a 20" that is just a hair too long to fit in the safe I have in my bedroom. Thus, I have decided to store it elsewhere in my actual gun safe. Now I need a shorter shotgun (any 18.5" barrel will work) for my bedroom safe. The 20-incher has a bead sight, in which I am thinking I'll add the XS front bead, at least. I might even buy a good red dot with a high-end quick-release picatinny riser. This would become the go-to shotgun when I am defending my homestead against the zombie hordes.

I am going to buy another Mossberg 590a1 (interchangeability of parts is very important to me, as long as I am buying another shotgun) and haven't decided which type of sights. So y'all are suggesting I just stick with a bead sight and maybe upgrade to the XS bead, but leave it at that. I think I am understanding your logic.

When I have practiced at the range, I have found that I shoot high consistently. I wouldn't want to aim at CoM on a bad guy and shoot their face off. That wouldn't look good legally and would sure make a mess.

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Chris, one of the things you'll like about the XS Big Dot is that because it sets up a little higher than the factory bead it forces your aim down so that the consistently high shots won't be so much of a problem. You are no different than anyone else. The tendancy to snap shoot high with a shotgun is quite common, especially with a 12 ga. :cool:

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

It is very difficult to get low enough on the stock with ear muffs on. In a critical situation I won't have ear muffs. That will help right there. I'm not sure the XS is really that much higher than a bead, but it has to be at least a little higher, from the photos.

12. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The XS Big Dot epoxies into place over the existing bead. Mossbergs can be difficult to install them on sometimes.

Trijicon makes one that will screw right into place on a Mossberg using the existing threads. The thread size needed for a Mossberg shotgun is the one with 6 X 48 threads. Costs less than the XS sight too! ;)

Here's a link:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19914/Product/TRITIUM-SHOTGUN-SIGHT

13. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I have been happy so far with the 3 dot sights on my 590m1, I have a 18.5" barrel as well.

At the moment I am looking for a taller front sight, Similar to the Ghost Ring front sight, I have added a rail that has a groove in it, Not to mention a heat shield, So I had to remove the rear sight, But my thoughts were to use a higher front sight and use the groove in the rail for the rear sight.

[​IMG]

Good luck!

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

You will need to have a gunsmith install a higher sight, if that is your desire. There is nothing I have seen that screws into the bead threads.

I think your thread numbers are off. And XS makes one to screw right into the Mossberg threads. It is the Remington 870 version that glues on top of the existing bead. Let me know if I am wrong on these points. I'll look into the Trijicon version.

15. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

the mount i have allows me to look down at my bead under the red dot. so i have that option. but i mostly use my gun on turkey and deer. so there is that. imo, sights are based on application then preference. my red dot may be a bit overkill for hd but it will work. and what work for me you may dislike.

16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Man, I screwed that one up big time!!! You are correct, the Mossbergs use a 5-40 thread. The Trijicon sights come in that size too though. Good catch on that one. :)

I searched the web and couldn't find a XS 24/7 Big Dot that had theads that would screw into a Mossberg barrel. They want you to epoxy it over the existing bead. That is what I did on my Rem. 870 and it has worked well for years and countless numbers of rounds, but I understand that depending on the size of your Mossberg bead with hex base it may require either that you replace the bead with a different size or do some fitting of the XS sight to fit over the hex base on the Mossberg bead. The Trijicon or Meprolight sights with some loctite might be a better thing in this case.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Wow, we are back and forth mistake finders! Awesome...

I actually meant Meprolight and wrote XS. Maybe we should both proofread each others' posts:eek:

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Bucket, first you said "[r]eally it's preference" (which I didn't really agree with). Pick your lane buddy!
    ;)

19. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

My 2nd post clarified my first. It is preference but you have to factor in the application. I can't use my red dot for duck hunting, I doubt I'll be any good. Just like I'm not going to use the bead at 50+ yards to shoot a deer. for me I would rather have a red dot, which is my preference for all the applications I use my gun for. Thats something that works well for me. is the picture you have in your post the GR sights?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Bucket;
    They are. Here's the kind of gun...

Attached Files: