Should i keep one non lethal round loaded in the magtube?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by hq357, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hq357

hq357 New Member

I keep my shotgun with nothing in the chamber and mag tube loaded. first shell is a bean bag round because i know there is a mentally disabled man in the neighborhood and i wouldn't want to kill him if he somehow broke into my house at night im not sure what he looks like but i know theres one to watch out for. maybe he didnt take his meds and wandered off. also i wouldn't want to kill somebody over a tv or if something that isn't really life threatening happend. Say if they were just trying to steal a tv id give him a chance to leave. if he dosent leave id hit him with the bean bag round and if he still dosent leave and comes after me the next round will be a 00 buckshot to the chest. im not sure if i should get rid of the bean bag round option. but then again i wouldn't want a lethal only. and if i killed a home invader id have to explain what happend in court so i might just keep the 1 bean bag round so they know i gave him a chance to leave and had no choice. live in a city /urban environment so shooting a bean at a home intruder bag may still get me into legal problems but not as much a killing an intruder a but if the intruder gets hit with a bean bag he may come back armed and dangerous with worse intentiontons than before. id have to worry knowing theres a guy out there that wants to harm my family and knows where i live. So what should i do? Keep the 1 bean bag round so i have the option of non lethal/lethal? Or just lethal only mag tube filled with buckshot your opinions please :)

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

IMHO, a bean bag round is like a warning shot. I do not plan on any warning shots.

3. hq357

hq357 New Member

What if it was a retarded man that didnt mean any harm?

4. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

buckshot only here. I would think you could get in more trouble for using non lethal rounds out of a gun, and the way I see it if the intention is anything but lethal you shouldn't point a gun anyway. Get a stun gun maybe if you want non lethal.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think a retarded man will innocently break into your house. If he did, he wouldn't be wearing a "Don't shoot, I'm retarded" tee shirt.

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Your intent is to stop the threat. In court, you would probably be grilled over on why did you want to kill him.
    Having knowing non lethal, and then lethal rounds in your gun would probably not serve you well.

7. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Some people are just not cut out to use a gun. You should sell yours and get a large watch dog.

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

this is a heads up warning about the use of "less lethal" ammo. 9 times out of 10, you will be charged if you use a "less lethal" projectile before using lethal means. The use of non lethal force can be taken as you were NOT in fear for the lives of yourself or your loved ones. Same goes when a warning shot is fired. If there was time for a warning shot, you were not in fear for your safety or your life.

If you are going to keep an HD gun in your house, you must be willing to use it to stop the threat. Even if it means using it to kill the person who is threatening you or your family with injury or death. the closest things to a warning shot that will occur in that case at my home are:

1. a barking 100 pound dog who is inside the dwelling.

2.the words Stop, Leave, Drop the weapon, or get the he!! out of my house.

and 3. the sound of the gun going off when I drop BG #1 for not complying. This will only apply to BG #s 2 and up.

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

You cannot know his intentions. Your best bet is to lock your doors at all times and poss. get a watchdog on top of your HD weapon(s).

Yes killing an innocent is a tragic mistake, but I don't think you'll be blazing away at the 1st sign of movement in your home!

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

do you understand why LEO's use less than lethal rounds? several reasons. they have been trained in using les than lethal or alternative methods. they usually many times have either a partner or back-up pretty close by. they have also many times been trained to evaluate a situation and a person's intentions, as to whether they need to use less than lethal or the use of deadly force.

so unless you have been trained in the use of less than lethal methods or have a partner or back-up, leave this to people trained to use it and those who know when to use it.

if you are not mentally prepared to take another person's life when they have broken in, then i do suggest as others that having a gun is a liability, not an asset. IMO, i really don't think you have fully thought through using deadly force. reading some of your posts, i really get the impression that you lack the maturity to have really thought this through. this ain't a game or a movie. you need to really get inside your own mind and do some serious soul searching and thinking and be honest with yourself about using deadly force. you can come on the forum and talk about this and how you think or that your ready. but my impression is, you really haven't or your not being totaly honest with yourself or us.

now my advice is worth exactly whatever value you place upon it an it was free. but not being honest with yourself over as serious an issue as this, could cause you some serious problems in the future. so do with it whatever suits you.

11. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

it's harsh but very true. Having guns for recreation is one thing, but having them for defense is quite another. It doesn't sound like you're ready for the responsibility of a gun for sd/hd purposes. That's why I suggested a stun gun in an earlier post. a large dog is also a great option. It would be better to be unarmed than to have a gun if you're gonna freeze in that crucial moment

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

No, unless you can answer the following question...why is it that you did not feel threatened enough to use lethal force on your first shot but changed your mind and killed the now incapacitated victim with shot #2?

Rest assured, you will hear that question from the DA while he is prosecuting you for manslaughter...

13. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

or if the bean bag does resolve the threat then why did you discharge a firearm if you didn't feel your life was in danger enough to use lethal force?

14. thatonespot

thatonespot New Member

OR! What if the beanbag explodes causing you and the BG to fall over laughing resulting in a tense but firm friendship through out the years?
    Could you handle that?
    :D

15. thatonespot

thatonespot New Member

In all seriousness, i do agree with what i have been reading. Be ready to take a life, or put the gun down.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

#1. I am not the Grammar Police, but really- paragraphs and punctuation. THAT gave me a headache!

#2. There is NO SUCH THING as a NON-LETHAL shotgun round- well, maybe with the exception of a Dummy round with no primer or powder, used by gunsmiths to check the action of a gun. The term is LESS lethal- and they can still kill you deader than 4 o'clock.

#3. You may have some unrealistic expectations of your ability to hit a moving target, in a hurry, poor shooting position, high adrenaline, poor lighting, freshly awakened, etc etc etc. I will say that I have been in a firefight or two, and the first few times I was astounded at how much ammo you can go thru with less effect than you had hoped for.

LEOs do not use Less Lethal rounds for self defense- they are used to force submission. Reason for that is that many times Less Lethal is also Less than Useless. And please note that other than a brain/ severed spinal cord shot, there is no guarantee that hitting your opponent, even with a load of buckshot is going to stop him instantly.

#4. I would be less worried about a resident that is mentally retarded than I would about the ones that are just stupid enough to break into my house.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  17. JonM

JonM Moderator

no such thing as a non lethal weapon.

beanbags can be lethal the same way that fists or rocks can be lethal. more than a few people have been killed with bean bag rounds. hit someone in the throat eye nose solar plexus they can go into a non-breathing state long enough to die. hit someone over the heart at the right time in the heartbeat cycle and it can esily stop beating.

leave less lethal options to the police. if you discharge a firearm with the intent to use a less lethal round you were not in fear of your life and i firmly believed you should be tried for aggravated assault or worse.

stun guns and pepper spray also fall into that category in my opinion.

if the person is mentally challenged they are far less likely to assault anyone that is not provoking them than your average highschooler. truly dangerous mental people are usually found in elected office or run major american cities and can be often found on 24hour news casts...

if you see this person on your doorstep or trying to enter your home call the police if your scared. be sure to fill out a written police report and have it filed not just answer a few questions of the responding officer. press charges on tresspass etc. the key is developing a legal history of transgression. this helps to get the person medical help in a setting where they can be safely monitered.

shooting someone with a less lethal round will justly land you in jail

18. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I think if you shoot an intruder....you only want one side to that story...YOURS..Intruder is coming out of my house feet first, and room temperature.

19. hq357

hq357 New Member

I also have a family member that has broken into my house while i was on vacation before. I wouldn't want to take his life if i was at home. Thanks for your opinions everyone :) I will now keep my questions and opinions to myself some people are getting a little too personal and judgmental on here. I will only post if i have questions or when i feel like it. So long everyone thank you for all the info. i have learned a wealth of knowledge from you guys. stay safe and bless you all :)

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you pose scenarios and want opinions or viewpoints but seem upset, or possibly even disappointed that you didn't get the replys maybe you expected us to give you. many times we can only interpret from what is posted and give the answer as we think applies. if the answers to your questions or scenarios were not what you expected, then sorry, but many of us will call things the way we percieve them to be. some of us come off as blunt, many times myself included, and when you talk of such serious subjects as the use of deadly force in SD, well that's a pretty serious subject and one that i will never bother to sugarcoat my thoughts or opinions on such.

now you have been given some very good advice to reflect upon and give serious consideration to, and i would advise in doing so. i will add this final little bit of wisdom for you to ponder on. the taking of a person's life, even an evil one, is never a trivial thing, nor one to be taken lightly. all life is precious and should be respected and there are those who don't follow that path. but even the taking of a life in SD of yourself or loved ones is something to never make light of. i'll leave you with that thought to think upon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.