Should I have called the cops?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by steadyshot, Oct 27, 2013.

1. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

OK, this morning I was out squirrel hunting. I was hunting on federal land, managed by the Army Corp of Engineers and is hunting by permit only. The land covers about 60,000 acres of woods that border the Mississippi river. There are some gravel access roads to the levee's the ACOE use. As well as some power line roads in the woods.

Anyway I am walking back to my truck this morning and I see this guy walking up a trail not really dressed for hunting and not carrying a rifle, shotgun or bow. I'm on the edge of the woods and the guy doesn't see me. I watch the guy walk up the gravel access road and off into the woods. I thought that was strange but really didn't have any reason to investigate any further. I continue the walk back to my truck, at this point I am about a mile and a half away.

I get back to my truck, unload my shotgun and start the engine. This is when I look in my rear view mirror and see a car coming up the gravel access road. It's a brown Ford Crown Victoria with no license plates, with the guy I had seen prior in the woods behind the wheel. He wasn't going anywhere because the access roads have locked steel gates at all of the entrances and exits and he was on the wrong side without a key.

At this point I was ready to go and I drove away. As I watched in my rear view mirror it appeared he was turning around and heading back into the woods.

So, should I have alerted the police to his presence?

2. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Yes you should. Somebodies kid could be hunting there. In Ky. you can hunt small game at age 12 by yourself. He was obviously up to no good. Probably dope. Those guys will kill you. I report anybody like that on public land. That is the reason I pack any time I leave the house. In the woods I'm not worried about 4 legged creatures as much as 2 legged.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

3. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Sounds like pretty odd behavior. Could have been up to something but maybe not. The cops may or may not have put much effort into investigating the guy if you had called but since there were no visible plates on the car they might have been interested.

Damn it! Now I want to know what he was up to. LOL

Calling the police in any given situation is one of those things I've found that ....... if the thought crosses my mind that I might ought to call .......I should probably go ahead and call. Let them decide if its serious or not. Hell they may have been looking for the guy already.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Sounds like a Federal employee. He was most likely an Obama appointee to the U.S. Corp of Engineers.:D

5. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I have ran into this before at my old duty station. On a lot of land manged by the government people for some reason love to set up mobile meth labs. Only down side to it is they would shoot at us in uniform and they will definitely shoot at you. It would almost be worth your time to contact someone now and let them know when you saw it and where so they can investigate it. Some of the mobile meth labs stay out there for upwards of a month.

6. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

He was not dressed like one. He had on some dingy white pants and a camo hoodie.

7. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Now that I think about it, the meth lab thing is possible. I have came across plastic bottles some that had chemicals in them and other trash I thought was related to illegal meth production in these woods in the past.

8. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have had strange encounters before while hunting and it usually meant there was a pot patch near by.

9. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Meth lab guy more than likely. A federal employee wouldn't be dressed like that and they all have gov. tags on their vehicles, at least as far as I know.

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

"Federal" land belongs to the populace. Ignore it.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i think i would report it if i thought he was out dumping bodies. we get gangs from milwaukee dumping bodies just up the road in the park here now and then. they dress like that and take the tags off right before they do their dumps drive off then put em back on. least thats according to the news media which is less than reliable source.

the only reason i would be concerned about meth heads in the woods is their proccess does extreme enviromental damage (which the hippies dont seem concerned about) and they shoot people who would otherwise use the land peacefully.

report em.

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'd report it. Pay attention to that voice in the back of your head.

13. bargeahead

bargeahead New Member

Granted, odd behavior but if you call the cops every time you see "odd" behavior then you get a rep' for crying wolf ( or worse ).

Had you called the cops you would have been asked specifics re illegal actions observed to which you would have admitted....none.

However, based on OP you were observant and conscious of atypical behavior.

IMO in such situations, take notes if possible and if you hear of something having happened in that area then you can tell the cops you thought it "odd" and recorded your observations re X, Y, & Z.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

so you think riding around with no plates in an area that requires permits to enter to be normal?

just asking :)

15. outlaw206

outlaw206 New Member

I have to agree you never know if he was looking for a place to hunt or any variation of possibilities I might tell someone so they could be looking but I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on no more then what you have seen hell I even go into the woods from time to time without a weapon just looking at my food plot \ checking my cam ect lol and would hate to talk to 50 every time I did

16. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

If you're worried, call.
    If not just let it be, likely nothing. Like said just be observant, if something arises you can help out.

I personally tend to mind my business unless it's something clearly wrong.

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I got behind a car not long ago that had tags that where 30 years old.Car looked like it had not been washed in the last 30 years too. Unless I see illegal activity I'm not usually inclined to report anything.

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

In general aviation, we are reminded often that if we don't police ourselves, we will be policed by people who know little to nothing about what we do.

19. bargeahead

bargeahead New Member

Normal ? No.

Call LE every time one sees something not normal ? Up to the caller.

I had a job that post 9-11 was tasked with making and recording observations of suspicious activity and had a "911" number to call if any activity seemed threatening.

It's the proverbial "fine line" between REAL and PERCEIVED.

It's also the proverbial " Damned if you do, Damned if you don't ".

Observe something you perceive as suspicious then call.

Could your perception be a bit off and divert LE from another response that truly requires their armed presence ?

Damned if you do, etc.

Judgment call for each individual..............either way, take notes, just in case.

20. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I try not to. He tells me to do bad things........ :eek:

Seriously, between the lack of plates on the car, a slightly odd appearance, and whatever else it was that gave the gut feeling something just ain't right here, i would have taken notes of what I did observe, and would have called LE. Not via 911, but via the station's direct number. i have learned to trust my gut when it tells me something is off. It has kept me alive for 38 years, I have no reason to doubt it.

Granted, the last time I did the possible drunk driver weaving all over the road and speeding up to 40 in a 50 right before dropping down to 25 again in said zone was actually an 82 year old, sober lady trying to get home from bingo at the church. Yep. Felt kind of bad about that one. However, what if had been someone who was totally blitzed, and instead of getting pulled over, they had crashed head on into a car full of kids coming home from the mall? I know how I would have felt had that been the case.

When in doubt. call it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013