Should i get an ak or sks

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by ARlover, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ARlover

ARlover New Member

I can't tell what I should get Aks are awesome but sks are Supposedly more accurate and cheaper up for Discussion

image-1236010941.jpg

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I prefer the sks but the easy answer is get both.
    Did you buy your ar in NH?

3. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I have owned several of both..I sold my AKs when i got my SR556, will keep my current SKS. Its a great utility gun, more accurate, better trigger, no mag to get caught or bent up. Its great for hiking, just slingit across your back, or use it to push/chop heavy brush out of the way. toss it behind the truck seat,etc. Once you get used to the stripper clips, you might like that system..

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Damn Readygirl, you are a bad ***.:eek:

5. readygirl

readygirl New Member

LOL...Not really, Just just wanted to be with my older brothers all the time when i was a kid. Wanted to go where they were going, do what they were doing. So i ended up a little rough around the edges....:) But i clean up pretty good, and can be a girly-girl when i want to......

6. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I was the only girl to make the UC fishing team while i was there. And was the only one on the team to cull/limit out at every event my second season......:D:D:D:D. My Brothers taught me well....

7. ARlover

ARlover New Member

Nope Florida and thank you every1

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want. If you get an SKS are you going to pimp it out and put a pistol grip stock on it and high capacity mags, or optics and rails? IF so just go with an AK from the beginning. I wouldn't worry much about bending up a Eastern European steel AK mag (Google: AK 47 push-up). If you want to keep it simple and like teh more streamlined profile of the 10 round fixed mag, go SKS.

Both are rugged. Both are actually capable of good enough accuracy for most folks desires out of a short light 7.62x39 platform.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The well is drying up for SKSs.

AKs are a pattern gun.

Get a good SKS for "less than an AK"

while you still can.

You will always be able to get AKs,

and they will always be cheap.

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Cheap? Not anymore, they are in about the same price range as ARs now:eek:

Anyway, I've said this before but, too many people try to make an SKS into something it's not.

If you want a tactical rifle go with the AK, if you plan on leaving it pretty much original the SKS is a good choice.

The added accuracy of the SKS isn't worth the extra weight in a tactical application in my opinion but makes a great traditional plinker.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Many folks believe the hype about SKSs and external mags.

Really, if you want an AK, just get one, instead of trying to

shoehorn an SKS into a role it wasn't designed to fulfill.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  12. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Both are good choices. I've been more a fan of AR's than AK's, probable due to the cold war. But when I came upon this SKS the iron curtain fell (in love with it).

There is something about a rifle with a fixed bayonet and grenade launcher that says buy me. It's still C&R and will stay that way (all matching serial numbers).

Jm

[​IMG]

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If you want the 7.62 X 39 round there are many options besides the SKS or AK . You can get a AR upper in that caliber , and I believe Savage makes a bolt gun chambered in 7.62X39 . If you intend on using it to hunt with buy the SKS , tactical / SHTF use AK . I have the AR15 upper in 7.62x39 and its great but I would rather grab my AK over it if the SHTF . I havent ran enough rounds thru the AR upper to call it reliable . when it hits 2000 rds without a hiccup I may change my mind but I know the AK is as reliable as it gets with its simple design anyone could field strip it and put it back together and continue

14. ARlover

ARlover New Member

Iv made up my mind. I'm going with an ak you all are SO awesome thank you I mead a new thread feel free to comment

15. ARlover

ARlover New Member

I've made up my mind I'm going with an AK. Y'all are awesome thank you for all the help. I made a new thread feel free to comment

16. ARlover

ARlover New Member

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Better known as a double tap ;)

I hope you enjoy your new firearm. You hear alot of hype about how inaccurate the AK is. Remember its only as accurate as the guy pulling the trigger . It was designed to hit man sized targets in battle not dime sized dots on a piece of paper, however you shouldnt have any problems hitting a paper plate at 200 yards. Its one of the cheapest rifles to shoot and its pretty good out to 200 yards

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  18. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

I have one of each but prefer the AK.