should i get a phoenix or save for a smith or?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by old fart, Jan 21, 2014.

1. old fart

old fart Member

i am looking to get a 22lr handgun, i'm narrowed it down at my local shop to these.new phoenix arms hp22 $150 otd, smith 22a like new $225 otd, new heritage rough rider 22lr only $165 otd. what would ya'll get?, also i've heard of frame cracks on the phoenix, is this true and if so how bad? thanks

2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

If I where you I would save up for a ruger or smith & Wesson. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with phoenix but in the long run I think a ruger or smith & wesson will hold up better to the test of time.

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I'd get a Ruger MK I, II, or III. Or a Ruger Single Six.

4. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

+1

Ez

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If you are truly looking for the Apex of 22LR accuracy and performance,

IMHO, it comes down to the S&W 41, a high-end Hi-Standard 102 or 104,

or one of the Ruger MK I,II, or IIIs with the 6-3/4" bull barrels. The Ruger

22/45 is simply another angle of grip, preferred by many.

My personal pick of these is the MK II slab-side in Stainless Steel.

IMHO, since this is such a vital cornerstone to any gun collection, you should

save your money, and get a good 'un on the first try. This particular firearm is

a bad place for backtracking, and regrets.

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

As I have lamented here before, I traded off my Smith Model 41 years ago in an attack of ignorance. Would love to have another one, but the last one I saw for sale around here was going for $1000.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Hold out for the S&W, or look at Ruger as many others have suggested.

8. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Forgot tge browning buckmark, extremely accurate, its my competition gun and I have not had any issues shooting cheap Remington golden bullets or the very dirty Aguila.

9. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

You said "narrowed down to these "

I have all 3 of those,
    The phoenix is a plinker ,and not a great one,
    The Heritage is a plinker, and not a very good one.
    The S&W 21A is a good gun, mine is flawless, accurate, and I take squirrels with it. Good gun.

[​IMG]

Jim

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I never advise anyone to buy a Phoenix. The old company went down in flames and never should have risen from the ashes.

11. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

i have a phenix not bad but for a extrra 50 go for the smith

12. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

I had the Phoenix and I had nothing but problems with it.First was it jammed like crazy and the frame and slide cracked.Sent it back and got a new one,still jammed.I put it towards a trade.I know many have had good luck with it.Maybe it didn't like me.lol

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You don't want Phoenix or any of the "ring of fire" guns unless you are a tinkerer who enjoys a challenge. What is whacked about the ring of fire guns is if the were polymer and rebranded they would bring $500. They are striker fired and accurate in comparison to other guns of the same size.

Ring of fire guns are worth $75 used in very good condition.

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger 22/45. Awesome gun. I have tens of thousands of rounds through mine. Nothing bad to say.

I also have a Heritage Rough Rider. I have had it for over 10 years. Maybe 15 years? It is a great gun. But it is not a completion gun. If you just want to go to the range and hear a bang you would probably be happy with either. If you want to try to outshoot your friends at speed type contests...get the Ruger. If you can afford the extra $100...get the Ruger anyway. It is a much better gun. But the Rough Rider would work if that is what you can afford.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I generally agree with these thoughts.

My first thought is...spend a bit more if you can (Ruger SR22, 22/45, MK, Browning Buckmark, SW MP22 are viable $300-500 options depending on your demands). Going cheap on a gun can result in frustration.

But if the budget demands less, the S&W is a pretty decent gun. The Beretta Neos is another option. They're ugly as sin (my opinion), but they're good guns.

16. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

THe Heritage Arms Rough Rider I have is a good gun and lots of fun to shoot. The good thing is it does shoot shorts, longs, long rifles and the quiet rounds. If you get one with the 22Magnum cylinder, you have one more ammo option.

Also, I don't go through ammo quite as fast as the magazine fed pistols I own.

17. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Save for a ruger

18. old fart

old fart Member

unless i can get one close to $200 i can't get one. i'm on a fixed and tight budget, my wifeand i talked and on a 22lr not to go much above $200. i might queeze out $230 but it won't be easy.

19. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If I had any doubts, they ended when I saw a Phoenix slide break in half during practice. Not cracked - a clean break. The only 22 I've seen it happen to.

20. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

There is the Chiappa 1911-22.I've seen some selling for a little over $199.I've never fired one but I've heard mixed reviews about them.Rimfire semi-autos are weird like that.I think they work better in a revolver.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014