Should I get a glock

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by gunlove, Mar 4, 2014.

1. gunlove

gunlove New Member

I was thinking abought getting a glock with my tax returns if so which model should I get?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Um... Let me ask you a question. I just got my Driver's License. Should I purchase a motor vehicle? If so, what kind?

See? Your question is WAY too broad. A number of things can factor in. Where do you live, and what the weather is like. How big or small you are. What your state laws are. What caliber you want. What caliber you are comfortable with.

Without knowing any of that stuff, I cannot help. I will say that the Glock 19 is the best selling Glock for a reason though....

3. gunlove

gunlove New Member

I see ummm I enjoy 9mm but I also enjoy bigger caliber pistols to.

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Here we go!:eek:

Anyway, if I were in the market for a new semi-auto handgun it would be a Glock 23, Gen 4, in .40 S&W.

Here is my reasoning: Conversion barrels are available to allow the G23 to eat and fire 9mm and .357 Sig. Therefore, for about $600 + conversion barrels, you get a reliable pistol with adjustable grip size that, is convertible to 3 diff. calibers, handles Glock mags from 13 rounds to 33 rounds, depending on the caliber being shot. You also get 1 of the 2 handgun platforms with the most after-market upgrades available.

Just my take.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. JonM

JonM Moderator

I was just looking for a handgun and glock wasn't even on the radar.

What ya gonna do with it??

Going to ccw??

Compete??

Target shoot??

Plink??

Home defense??

Is a rds optic on the radar??

Don't limit yourself unless your willing to settle or just want a glock. Lots of better guns out there.

6. gunlove

gunlove New Member

Hmmm mainly plinking and I always wanted a glock I like the feel of it.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The 23/19 frame size is what I consider the "Goldielocks" size. Not too small, not too big, but just right. My 19 is probably my most used handgun. My 17 is also heavily used, but it has been cut down in the grip, and modified primarly for range/competition use now.

The recommendation to get a 23 and a 9mm conversion barrel is a sound idea.

8. gunlove

gunlove New Member

Cool my friend has a 17 he said I could try it to see if I like the feel

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Best Glock on the market is a P226....just kidding.:p

Glock 19 or 23 in my honest opinion. If you tell anyone I told you this....:eek:

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

I would strongly recommend trying a xdm and a few others. Go hit a gunshow or a couple of gunships and wrap your hands around a bunch of guns. Try the control layouts. Shop around as you may find something betterfor you.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a glock but it sounds like your new to handguns and I hate seeing someone restrict their options unneccessarily.

11. mcdudley

mcdudley New Member

Try going to a range and renting a few different models, or go shooting with people that have the models you're looking at. That's how I decided on my pistol. I shot a number of guns in different calibers to see which ones I like and which ones I was a better shot with.

12. mcdudley

mcdudley New Member

I'm with you there. Glocks are great guns, but I went with an XDM 9mm because my groupings were consistently smaller than with Glock. Not saying the XD is inherently more accurate, but it just fits me better. I'm glad I tried it before buying, otherwise I would have just gone with Glock.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I vote McDudley for best avatar.

14. mcdudley

mcdudley New Member

HA! I'll take it. I found that when I did a google search for some random caliber I had never heard of, then I ran across it in one of the threads on this site, too.

15. gunlove

gunlove New Member

Ill try that I think theirs a range abought two hours away ill test a few and see which I like

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

To answer your question.
    You should ONLY get a Glock AFTER you have shot several other 'brands' of handguns. Get the one you shoot best. Hit probability is the MOST important factor when considering which handgun to get, within the caliber limitations. ;)

17. flybuddy

flybuddy New Member

I had tried several Glocks before settling on a Gen 4 17. It comes with 3 mags and you can change out the grip (included) to get one that feels comfy. If you're not looking for it as a carry weapon, it'd be my first choice.
    Also for carry, the new 42 is pretty cool.

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

^ This ^

19. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I was going to quote JonM, but everyone answering is saying the same thing. Not only should you evaluate how a gun shoots for you, but also how well you can carry, draw, use it's controls and how well it sits in your hand. I actually was coaching a guy once who kept readjusting his grip after every couple of shots. When I looked closely, the grip and gun were too big for his shorter, fatter hand. We Found a more comfortable gun and his shooting skills increased significantly because he could reach the trigger!

Do a LOT of hands-on research and don't be afraid to ask questions of dealers and others in the industry. If you know someone with a large gun collection, ask to make an appointment to view it. Most people with collections like to show them off, and you'll get the valuable handling experience you want.

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

gunlove,

The group has told your right! That is the only way to select the pistol! Each of us are anatomically different. SO it is important to attempt to shoot as many as you can to see which one fits the best, functions the best for you and which one "You" shoot the best! Followed by a very important considerations. Does that weapon have a history of dependability, durability, accuracy as well as a good warranty! As well as the companies reputation for customer service should there be an unexpected issue. There is acrually a lot to picking the right weapon.
    To find this it is easy to do by simply asking the friends here on the FTF. A lot of expeience here! DO not jump the gun by being impatient or impulsive when buying!
    It is your hard earned money you are spending and in my case, most of what I buy I expect to last, be dependable and keep it for a long time. So you want to be happy with your purchase when you spend the money instead of finding out later it was not the right selection! And taking a beating when you try to trade or sell it!;)