Should I get a Beretta?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Businessoptics, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Businessoptics

Businessoptics New Member

Hey guys... I am buying my first handgun soon. I was thinking a berreta. What Caliber do you guys reccommend? I am using it for protection and target practice. Mostly protection. I have done alot of research on Berettas and they seem like great guns. My dad is in Law Enforcement so he can get them really cheap. Do you think this is a good idea for my first handgun?

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Beretta is fine. 9mm or 40 S&W.

3. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Caliber...make sure it starts with a "4". Preferably ending with a "5".

Berettas are decent weapons, just not the best solution IMO. But it may be the best solution for you, just dont throw out other options. If your Dad is LEO he will also be able to get professional Glock pricing as well. I would look into it. You personal preference though, just shoot as many types as you can first, not just research. Good luck with the choice!

4. 741512th

741512th New Member

I have a 92FS and I think its a very good gun. Accurate, easy to maintain, and very reliable. Not one single malfunction after a few thousand rounds through the tube. If you're thinking of carrying it around, it is a little big.

I did not, however, like the 84FS or the little pocket guns at all.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, I bought a Beretta 92F back in the days of their big post Lethal Weapon marketing campaign. At the time, I loved the gun, and I didn't have any problems with it. However, having learned a LOT about firearms since then, I would have to recommend against the Beretta and suggest something like the CZ or perhaps one of the uber plastic pistols everyone seems to love.

Beretta is in love with their name and their warranty has gone to hell in a handbasket. Even with discount pricing, you are still not getting anyone to stand behind the work, so if you get a junker, you are stuck with it without jumping through a crapload of hoops...

As for caliber, there are two.

.45ACP

And everything else. :D

JD

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I cannot disagree with JD except

10MM!

7. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

*cough* 1911 *cough, cough*

8. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

My first gun was a Beretta 96, it worked OK, but it just wasn't my kind of gun. Too bulky, yet not heavy enough (I like steel frames). I sold it, bought a CZ 75 and never looked back, a MUCH better gun (in my very novice opinion).

Try to handle a few different guns before buying one, or, even better, go to a range that has some for rent and try them out.

9. LeprechaunGunLover

LeprechaunGunLover New Member

Beretta is a good weapon from my experience. I use a Beretta M9 in the military and it's a very dependable weapon as opposed to the old 1911 .45's. I was issued a brand new one and I have personally put over 5000 rounds through it and I have only had the magazines break down. The only time it jammed was after I had a long day at the range without a proper cleaning, so naturally it jammed a couple times, but after a cleaning it fired like new again. It's not as touchy as some of the other firearms I've used before as far as cleaning goes, in fact, every other firearm I've ever used needs to be cleaned far more with exception of the Glock.
    Anyway, that's my input. You need to fire a couple different handguns before you decide so you know what fits you best, but as far as Beretta's specifically, it is a very reliable gun.

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the beretta 92 design at all. I feel you would be better served with a different platform such as 1911 or the polymer pistols. The 1911 is STILL the platform by which all others are judged, for good reason. If you want the reliability of a Glock, but with better ergonomics and features, get a Springfield Armory XD. Bottom line is get the 1 that's THE best fit to YOUR hand, while offering the features you want. Go to a range where they let you shoot different pistols if you can before deciding. Recoil isn't going to be a factor in virtually any of the full sized pistols IF they properly fit you in the 1st place-regardless of the caliber, with possible exception of the 10mm. Also, the standard defensive caliber by which all others are judged is the timeless .45acp (my personal favorite), again for good reason.

11. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

My main gripe is that the M9 design is way too easy to take apart. An attacker, at close range, can push the slide out of battery , squeeze the take down detent and flip the take down lever all with one hand. It doesn't take long to do and with a little practice, it's pretty damn easy.

If someone tries this with a 1911, you can pull the pistol back 1/8 of an inch and remove their hand.

Yeah, it's a Hollywood scenario, but it has happened in real life more than once.

12. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

Beretta 92FS is a good 9 mm pistol. I do, however, think that a Glock 17 with its higher capacity magazines is a more reliable pistol for self defense. I've owned both and I like both pistols but I've kept my Glocks longer than any of my Berettas. One thing... If you do get a Beretta, have a gunsmith polish the chamber and ramp areas for a better, more reliable feeding of the bullet.

13. LeprechaunGunLover

LeprechaunGunLover New Member

Ya man, VERY hollywood, but I do see your point. I'm not preaching the M9 though, just giving a view from someone who does carry one regularly as I'm required. I would say that in the environment that I carry one, there's no chance of someone disassembling it because I would never use it unless i was kicking doors in and was not thinking clearly enough to reload my long gun before entering the room. So it would basically be a split second draw, controlled pair, wait till the room is called clear and put it away again so I can reload my long gun and drive on to the next room.
    In real life, on the street or in the home, however, that weapon comes out if someone is breaking into my home, in which case they won't see the gun before I put a controlled pair into his chest most likely. On the street is the only time I can feasibly see someone getting the chance to get close enough to me to try and disassemble the weapon I am pointing at them, and that's only because he was close enough to me before presenting himself as a threat to begin with. Just my thoughts on it. Yeah, it's easy to disassemble, and I did practice doing it after watching a couple Jet Li movies, but I really don't see that any competent shooter would give me the opportunity to disassemble their weapon while they are holding it.
    I gree with everyone on here though, try renting some guns at a range and put a few hundred rounds down range. Get a feel for what is comfortable for you. If recoil is too much, then chances are you are holding the weapon wrong. Don't be ashamed to ask someone around you for advice while at the range as well. That's actually how I learned to shoot my .45 without having an extremely sore hand after a while. I got coaching later, however, and that's how the .45 ACP became my personal favorite as well. Back to self defense, just something to consider, though it does sound like another hollywood scenario as well (But also has been known to happen), multiple 9mm rounds have been known to pass right through an assailant without even slowing him down, and on some occasions, he didn't even realize he had been shot because of the extreme levels of adrenalin. Sounds far fetched, but it has been known to happen. The .45 however, I don't care how amped up you are. You would be surprised how quickly a hollow-point will land someone flat on their back.

As for me, I used to carry my SIG P229 (.40 version) but recently bought a new Ruger P345 and I love that weapon. It's not my old 1911, but it still does the trick.

14. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Being that we don't live in the Matrix, I don't think you'll have to worry about someone dismantling your M9 in front of your eyes like that...........

If someone tries, then you retract your pistol about 6 inches, fire off three rounds into this groin and say with a hint of bravado in your voice "Dude! You just got owned!"

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

LOL taking apart my pistol in my hand. No one can move at 1300fps (Well none that I have seen).

Having shot the M9 I like it. for me it worked real well I have big meat hooks and some pistols don't agree with my hands but that double stack fit my hand very well and the recoil was nothing for me. I would go with one in a 40 S&W over the 9mm. I never want to be in a gun fight with a gun that doesn't start with a 4 40, 41, 44, 45. That there is the magic number. But for starters and new shooters I would lean towards the 9mm as it is a little softer in the recoil department.

16. 741512th

741512th New Member

Well, with my 92FS, to take it apart the magazine has to be out and the safety on. Not the optimum method of using the weapon in self-defense. http://www.beretta92fs.com/video.php?id=201

17. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

The Beretta is a very good design. One plus is it's all steel (I like that in a pistol - too many plastic guns out there...lol).

The M9 is very, very reliable. Since you will use it for a home defense role you can look into getting a Beretta chambered in .40 caliber. That round packs a good punch and is the compromise between the 9mm and the .45ACP.

The main problem you would encounter with lots of use (i.e. shooting over 5000 - 10000 rounds through it) could be the recoil spring. These springs tend to wear out over time, and will cause feeding problems. 98% of the time the average person won't wear out a gun like that.

It's a big, heavy 9mm when compared to other 9mm pistols, but that is a plus to me. I like a gun to feel like a gun, not like my kids toy.

Of course, you can always check out the 9mm 1911 style pistols out there if you are still feeling iffy about the Beretta.

One possible alternative would be the Para-Ordnance LDA 1911 pistols.

18. raveneap

raveneap New Member

I was issued a new Beretta 92FC in 1988 and when I retired from LE I bought it. It is as good today as the day it came out of the box. I've since bought a 96, an 84, a 9000 and an 8000. They are well made guns. Not that there aren't other makes out there too. Your best bet is to try some out at the range if you can and see what feels right to you.

19. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

You have a choice.

This

[​IMG]

OR THIS!

[​IMG]

Personally I like 19 + 1 better than 15 + 1 in 9mm.....oh and it's got a ****ing knife on the end of it.

20. 741512th

741512th New Member

A fellow must go through a lot of holsters (not to mention pants and bandages) with the little toy bayonet. :)