Should I do a trigger job?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Jo da Plumbr, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Since I may be sending my MP 45 in to have night sights pressed in I looked at a trigger kit also. The MP is a great pistol but does have a long trigger pull. I was surprised to see the website for the trigger kit say not for service weapons or defensive weapons.

Any one have any idea why this is?
    I am not going into competition and use the MP for range and home defense. I'm sure I will be using it more at the range then at home, but it is more important to me that it work well at home then at the range.
    Would you do the upgrade if this was your gun?

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Well do you like the trigger pull as it is? If so than I would leave it alone. If not, maybe give them a call and ask someone to clarify it. I would guess that for competition use it is set for a light and short pull? :confused:

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I sure wouldn't!

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

The trigger is not crisp and short like the S&W 1911. I do OK with it at the range but I know it is not meant to be a target pistol. I guess my real reason for doing it is because the first thing anyone says about the MP is "bad trigger".
    I'm wondering if the not for defense thing is just a cover your azz move by Apex

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

why??????

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think it's the evil lawyers doing the CYA Limbo. Too light/smooth a trigger pull can possibly cause an ND/AD in a high stress situation.

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

You shot the MP while I was up there. Would you do an upgrade?

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nope, I'd live with it. You're spoiled by the 1911 trigger The M&P is a different animal.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

my ruger 10/22 and ruger mk2 both have light crisp triggers measured in ounces. i wouldnt use those triggers on a defensive gun. i like to have at least a crisp 3-4 pound trigger on my defensive guns. mainly due to the control factor while under stress 3-4 pounds is about right for me.

for the trigger job your looking at find out what the final poundage is on the pull then find a similar weight trigger to see how it feels to you.

if you were near me i would let ya try a few of my different gun triggers to see what poundage is preffered .

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A good shoot is a good shoot. APEX is concerned about their own liability in the event of a bad shoot. ND into person + "competition trigger job" = very large liability issue. If you intended to pull the trigger and bad guy was shot, it really matters little how heavy the trigger was.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Because for what you're using it for, you don't need an ultra-light trigger. I doubt many LEOs have really light triggers on their duty pistols, for the sake of safety. In the heat of the moment, I would bet that they don't want to be thinking about how much pressure they can apply to the trigger.

But, again, I'm probably wrong and I'll probably hear about it. :eek:

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Tune it Jo!

The hard pull and long take-up are a liability lawyer's attempt to add yet another safety!

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

A lot of gunsmiths, including the one I call my own, won't tune a trigger below about 4# for a "customer".

Liability is the big issue. Period. If pressed I know for a fact the number one response will be that triggers that are below that magic 4# number are not "street ready" because they are too sensitive and could result in a ND.

Now if you know a gunsmith that knows how you handle a weapon, and trusts you, they will tune it down below that number on a "carry" weapon.

Having shot the MP previously I will say that the trigger sucks as factory issued. Period. No middle road, no "what if", it's just not very good.

Having it replaced with a complete competition trigger is NOT a good idea in my opinion IF the weight of that trigger drops into the "one pound and ounces" category, which is where some competition guns reside.

Personally? I would look at having the weapon's trigger tuned by a local, reliable, competent gunsmith. Ask him/her to "reduce the take up, give you a clean, crisp break and reduce the over-travel to a bare minimum" and see what they can do for you.

A trigger job can run from $35 to $70 depending on the shop and the arrogance of the gunsmith. No offense to any gunsmiths here on FTF. :eek:

JD

14. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Thanks for the input guys, some very good info. I'll ask about tuning factory before going mall ninja. But I do want to improve what I've got.

15. WDB

WDB New Member

I had the trigger worked on my M&P 45 (it cost $85....seems like I over paid:eek:). Far less take up and droped the pull to 4 pounds. Considering it is a striker fired pistol with the only safety being the trigger I'm fine with 4#. My son has my orginal M&P 45 with no trigger work done and there is a huge difference betwen the two. He's fine with the trigger as is and thinks mine is too light. I expect if you shoot your carry pistol enough you get use to how it functions. As long as you can hit the mark when needed is the bottom line. It took several range trips to use to the new trigger but now it is the norm. IMHO I would say it's worth the price on the M&P to improve the trigger.

16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

If it will help you shoot the gun more accurately while keeping you from having N/D then go for it. The company is simply CYA in the event you actually have to shoot someone under iffy circumstances & it winds up in court. Just compare to installing a 3.5# disconnector in a Glock-it's the same thing.