Should I buy it?!?!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by feedsasquatch, Aug 29, 2009.

1. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Which Kimber should I buy?!?!

I'm waiting to get my concealed carry in the mail (another 4 weeks) and have been shopping around. I thought I wanted a Kimber Ultra Carry II, BUT, one of my local gun shops has a used Kimber Ultra CDP I for only $950. Should I buy it? Or should I spend the extra $300 and buy an Ultra Carry II new, with night sights?

Since the Ultra CDP I is used, what should I look out for that might be wrong with it?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Get it!

I'll send you the shipping info. :D

3. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Well, it will be my first and only 1911, so I can't give it up any time soon. Talk to me 30 years from now, maybe I'll have a larger "collection" by then...

Seriously though, anything I should be weary of when buying a used Kimber?

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Can you shoot it before you buy? Kimbers tend to run hot and cold. I've had a half-dozen that ran fine, I've had friends that had troublesome ones. Have you considered an STI? A friend is a dealer and has never had a complaint or return with them. They're in the same price range as is the high-end Springers, also very, very solid guns.

I don't dislike Kimbers at all, I'm just pointing out that some do have issues whereas other brands in the same price range get nearly 100% praise from owners...

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What year is the production of the weapon?

How many rounds have been put through it?

What is the condition of the weapon?

Will they let you shoot it?

I have had 3 Kimbers, I still own two, and I have never had an issue.

If the weapon looks in good shape, and it doesn't have 10,000 rounds through it, and you can afford it without going into debt, I would say go for it.

JD