Should I buy an XD?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by h8dirt, Jun 27, 2008.

1. h8dirt

h8dirt New Member

I am considering buying an XD in 9mm. I currently shoot 1911's and am looking for a 9mm alternative. High functionality and reliability are a must -- I am particular about trusting my life to anything else. Any thoughts/advice???

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, strictly speaking, there is NO other handgun that can compare to the mighty 1911, in my eyes. Over 100 years of strong service and still going strong.

The XD is a formidable weapon, and I know several people who actually prefer them because of the cost/value versus a high end 1911. I don't know of too many people who have tried them that don't see their merit.

That said, John Browning also built the Browing Hi Power, which, is considered the King of the Nines for a reason. You might want to check one out, you will find several features that are pretty close to your 1911's.

JD

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Kimber makes quite a few 1911s chambered in both 9x19mm and .38 Super. My wife can't handle a .45 ACP, so we're going to get her a Kimber in 9mm or a Browning High Power.

4. pistolwhip23

pistolwhip23 New Member

no buy a glock..great gun for a all applications..

5. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

:rolleyes: I don't see why not? I know I absolutely love my XD!

[​IMG]

Best damned pistol I've ever owned! :cool:

6. Beach Bum

Beach Bum New Member

I own three XDs and have had no problems with them very dependable

7. h8dirt

h8dirt New Member

Thanks for the perspective, Dillinger. I carry a Wilson Combat Classic -- and absolutely love it. I agree with you that the 1911 is tops -- especailly the really fine ones.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I see why, that's a nice piece. Can I ask you why you would consider NOT carrying it? Weight?

JD

9. h8dirt

h8dirt New Member

The Wilson Combat Classic is a full sized single stack 1911 with a SS frame and slide. You are right, it is a FINE piece. This is my usual range gun and carry gun when I am dressed for it. It will shoot much better than I can. In the good ole days, I carried a Colt Gov't model. I also have a Kimber CDP in the Pro size -- 4" barrel with a full size frame in 7074 alloy that I carry and a Walther PPK/S when I need something smaller. Frankly, I try not to carry the Walther -- I do not trust it. It will get traded off when the deal is right. And yes, I do shoot all of them. I am just thinking of buying a 9mm since I have a friend with access to ammo and thought the XD may be a good choice.

10. Righteous

Righteous New Member

but yet ya got a pic of a glock LOL
    I been carrying the XD in a .40 for couple years now and love it

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I love my XD, bought it for the price and it really fits well in my hand. I personally liked it's feel over a Glock. I haven't had a single problem out of the weapon, I had some misfeeding reloads that was solved with a slightly lighter flare and a tighter crimp, but that was my fault, not the weapon's.

12. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Yes you should. I have tried several different 9mm and liked most of them. I like my Hi-Point C-9, but probably wouldn't carry it...great truck gun. The Ruger P95 is a good one too, but when you want a consistent shooter you need a striker fired weapon. I tried a S&W Sigma and it taught me trigger control while really strengthening my finger, then traded it. I like the Kel-Tec P-11, but for a gun that will shoot thousands of rounds accurately, and trouble free in any condition, go with the XD.

Now...I don't have an XD9, but I traded my Glock 22 (.40 S&W) that was not comfortable or accurate for a new XD40 and found it is comfortable, and accurate right out of the box. Got to love Springfield weapons. Good luck.

Dave :)

13. MarkoPo

MarkoPo New Member

I have a XD 40 subcompact I love. But now I would go for the XD M. It hold 16+1 round of .40 and has some of the best machined parts money can buy. I got to check one out at the gun store, quite impressive weapon. It has an adjustable backstrap like the M&P's, you can release the slide without dry firing it, and did I mention it hold 16+1 rounds! That's getting up there with some "assult" rifles.

14. Virginia58

Virginia58 Member Supporter

I'd go for the XD. I have 2 XDs in 45 ACP, but my next one will be a 9mm. They are very reliable and accurate.

15. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I just bought one yesterday. It was a toss-up between the Glock 17 and the XD-9 (Prices were within about $50.00) and asked the salesman for some input. He was wearing an XD-9. 'Nuff said.

16. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Dollar short, a day late.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  17. Defender

Defender New Member

Yes, you should buy an XD. ;)

They're currently outselling both Glock and Smith M&P on the U.S. civilian market.

They're renown for their reliability, durability, ruggedness, accuracy etc.

You can't shoot reloads with Glocks because of the KABOOM problem, and the M&P has experienced a number of problems since it was first released.

XD is definitely the way to go.

18. Defender

Defender New Member

19. .40S&W4ME

.40S&W4ME New Member

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy the Xd unless someone is giving you something else like a glock for FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.