Should i buy a XD?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by sonovagus777, Oct 1, 2012.

1. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

Hey everyone, I have been giving it some thought, and I'm thinking about buying an XD. I have heard amazing reviews about it, and everyone is saying its reliable, and I believe these reviews. But I've been shooting a 1911 my whole life, would it be hard to make the transition to an XD? My main purpose for it would be hunting, I do a lot of hunting in south Texas. Please post your opinion, thanks!

2. Babyfacenelson

Babyfacenelson New Member

Hunting?
    Boar hunting or a sidearm to your rifle/shotgun?

The short answer is yes the XD is an amazing pistol and will do everything your 1911 does though it may be a plastic gun

3. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

Yep, boar and sow. Sometimes snake hunting. I mainly hunt with a rifle, and just use a pistol to back it up if 1 shot wont keep em down. but I like to make it interesting sometimes and chase pigs in the woods with a pistol.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I have been VERY happy with my XD45. I do wish there was an XD in 10mm.

The grip angle and grip safety are supposed to be modeled after the ones from the 1911.

5. Babyfacenelson

Babyfacenelson New Member

The XD45 is the on of the best polymers out there.
    Buy one, you wont be dissapointed.

6. sonovagus777

sonovagus777 New Member

Stupid question, but do y'all know if the 40 s&w is any good? I found a good deal on a new one for $500, or I'll go for the .45 for I think $600

7. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Check Palmetto State Armory. They usually have some good deals on guns. Below is info on the 40SW & the 9mm for $399

Here is the 40SW http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/springfield-armory-xd-40-x-treme-duty.html

SPRINGFIELD INC Model XD 40S&W Essential Packages

Springfield Armory 12 + 1 Round 40S&W w/4 Barrel/Black Finish

The 4 inch XD combines safety with quality and ease of use. With the Ultra Safety Assurance (U.S.A.) action trigger system, this polymer framed pistol is as comfortable as it is safe. The V-10 XD pistol is the ultimate in ported polymer pistols. The essential package comes with two magazines and does not come with the XD Gear System which includes the XD gear belt holster, double magazine pouch, and magazine loader.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Mfg Item Num: XD9102HC
    Category: FIREARMS - HANDGUNS
    Type :pistol
    Action: Double Action Only
    Caliber :40 S&W
    Barrel Length :4
    Capacity :12 + 1
    Safety :Grip safety
    Grips :Checkered Polymer
    Sights :Dovetail Front and Rear
    Weight :27 oz
    Finish :Black

Here is the 9mm http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/springfield-armory-xd-9-x-treme-duty.html

SPRINGFIELD INC Model XD 9mm Essential Package

Springfield Armory 16 + 1 Round 9MM w/Black Finish/4 Barrel

The XD 9mm combines safety with quality and ease of use. With the Ultra Safety Assurance (U.S.A.) action trigger system, this polymer framed pistol is as comfortable as it is safe. The essential package comes with two magazines, cable lock, bore brush, and case. It does not come with the XD Gear System which includes the XD gear belt holster, double magazine pouch, and magazine loader.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Mfg Item Num: XD9101HC
    Category: FIREARMS - HANDGUNS
    Type :pistol
    Action : Double Action Only
    Caliber :9 MM
    Barrel Length :4
    Capacity :16 + 1
    Safety :Grip safety
    Grips :polymer
    Sights :Fixed Dovetail Three Dot
    Weight :28 oz
    Finish :Black

8. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I have the XD45 and have also shot the SW40 and the 9mm. They are all outstanding guns IMHO. I have at least 5000 rounds through my XD45 and it still runs great. The SW40 is obviously a bigger round but the 9mm is a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot. YMMV

All calibers listed are fine - Shot placement is key. Practice, practice, practice.

9. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

My EDC is a XD 40 SC with 6K plus rounds through it without a failure of any type. I love it. I also have a S&W M&P 9mm and .40 that are just as reliable.

10. TerryM

TerryM New Member

I would sell both my xd40 & xd45 in a heart beat if they came out with a 10mm. But until then you will have to pry either one of them out of my cold dead hands when the time comes.

11. GNXtreme

GNXtreme New Member

+1 on the XD being an awesome sidearm! I can't speak from experience about the others but don't try to shoot swc ammo through a 45 xd. Jam city.

12. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

Simply yes. I did research for almost 6 months and it was all good info. And i love mine now that i have it and every one else does who has shot it as well.

Attached Files:

13. hoovco

hoovco New Member

The XD is awesome. I own glocks and rugers and I'll say my XD 45 is my favorite pistol. I've got an extended threaded EFK barrel on mine and it shoots amazingly. My brother has an XD S and an XD9. Awesome firearms.

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

In a word, absolutely.

15. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Yes and while you're at it pick one up for me too please! Lol another site to check out for good prices and free shipping:

www.kygunco.com

Last I looked the 9mm and .40 were $389 (with the 3% cash check or money order discount).

Can't wait till I can get an xd9. Though a CZ P-09 just caught my eye in a recent Guns and Ammo mag, have to do more research on it.