Should I buy a flare gun?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by TheHunter100, Dec 26, 2011.

1. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Im thinking about getting a flare gun to add to my hunting survival kit. I dont know if I should get one or not, would I really need it if in a survival situation?

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'd probably look at getting a strobe or a personal locator beacon.

Check this out:
    Safety and Survival | Pilot Supplies from Sporty's Pilot Shop

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

hmm kinda depends on what type of situation your are in... i would say if it seems like a good idea to you and helps you sleep better at night add it. i doubt you would be upset that you have it. i bet you would be more upset if you needed it and didnt have it.

4. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I got one.
    More just because the guy at work only wanted ten bucks for it and a few flares and it is a gun I didn't already have. I haven't shot it yet though. I'll take it to a lake at night and pop on off when I go to Michigan though just to say I shot it.

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I have one. It's also used for ducks, deer, squirrels, rabbits, people, & evil robots. It's a pump action & holds 6.

6. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Evil robots?

7. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I got one for $40 to take with me on a hunting trip in north canada. I love it. I went on cheaper than dirt and picked up a 22 conversion kit for it that slides into the barrel to make it shoot .22. Great buy!

8. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

I could get a 12 guage flare gun for $60

9. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Sounds like a good deal to me! They are deffinetly fun to shoot and they are good to have. If your ever lost anywere in the world a flare gun can definetly change the odds of survival in you favor!

10. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Misunderstood?

11. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

Understood. lol

12. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

If I "get lost" chances are its because I don't want to be found!

But, if you do want to be located, I think I would carry everything mentioned, all are useful, all have advantages and disadvantages, and all are relatively lightweight and don't take up too much space.