Firearms Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to reload some shot shells so the whole process is straight forward till you get to the hull types and wads , so what to do buy a lyman shotshell reloading handbook 5th edition . The book is 408 pages and you really will only use about 2 my advice is donate one to your club and save your money all the info is on the web .

·
Registered
447 Posts
I use load data from the powder that I use. They usually give different hulls, wads, and primers. And all on maybe 2 or 4 pages.

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Mostly reloading shotgun shells is almost as simple as loading a muzzle loader. There are purists in everything but it's pretty hard to screw it up to the point of being dangerous if one pays attention. Biggest problem is getting a wad stuck in the barrel from a squib load. My two kids loaded 2 1/2" four-tens after school for us to shoot on weekends. Small hands and cheap labor.

Dad loaded thousands of 12's and 20's using a "Lee Loader" and a hammer. Eventually the paper shells gave out (those you gotta check b/c of that nasty habit of burning through, cracking the heads and such) but AA's and good quality hulls last a long time. Cheap promo shell hulls I leave in the trash barrels.

Some get off on creating custom shotshell loads. Whatever turns your crank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts