shotshell loading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JonM, Feb 13, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

Shotguns are typically not my thing in the past. However there are some affordable trap course open to public I've discovered ireally like it.

So I shoot only 12ga. No desire or need for other calibers. I need opinions on which progressive auto indexing with automatic everything including case feeding is best and works.

I'm leaning towards dillon as I love the xl650

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I use a MEC 600 Jr. I have never used a progressive shot shell loader, but if I was in the market for one I would look hard at the Dillon.

You must plan on shooting A LOT of ammo or jjust have a butt load of $ lying around. I have loaded 2-3K on my MEC in the last year or so.

3. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Dillons are good but expensive--the MEC 9000G is a time-proven design that works well. If you want the world's best progressive shotshell reloader, there is a tie between the Ponsness Warren and the Spolar--both priced similarly to the Dillon ($1000+ range)...

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've got a Mec Jr that I've loaded sucessfully in with in the past. I've actually been thinking about getting rid of it as I just don't shoot enough 12ga and it's so cheap and plentiful that I can't really justify having it. I'd load until I ran out of supplies and then sell.
    My 16ga press is a different story entirely.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i like reloading and plan on shooting a lot more trap and s porting clays. shotshells are pretty pricey here. i get a sense of achievement doing well with rounds i made myself. i like the dillon stuff a lot i was mainly wondering how the sl900 compairs to others like the mec. i take it from what everyone is saying here it just comes down to features tween the mec and dillon.

its the cost of one gun for a progressive loader since im not getting a winchester SxS mod 21 i figure a progressive loader fits.

6. Seamaster

Seamaster New Member

Go with the MEC9000GN, for the difference in price you can buy alot of reloading supplies. I use the MEC and when set up it works flawlessly, operator errors are a different matter.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

no case feeder for it :(